Pop Up Camper Starter Kit

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Matt O, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I was killing time on ebay when I found this POP UP CAMPER STARTER KIT. Would you have found this useful when you started out?

I wonder if someone just bought these items, put them in a box and slapped a sticker on it or if you can actually find these in RV stores.

Psssst Steve..... Put a popupportal sticker on it and put it in the pup store.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I use an electrical plug adapter to plug the PUP in at home so the converter can charge the battery and I can have lights without discharging the battery while packing or cleaning in the PUP. That's the only one of those items I've ever had a need for. I paid a lot less than $26.95 for it.

3. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Unstable Tripod, you do mostly boondocking right? In that case, I agree this package wouldn't be for you. But for the true novice who would probably be using hookups you have to admit there is some benefit to it.

I remember going to Home Depot sweating trying to figure out what adapter I needed until I saw the "RV Blade" adapters in its own display. That was a big relief. I also bought some garden hose and two 90 degree elbows. So, the only things I wouldn't use out of the kit is the grey water hookup.

I would add 2 stick on levelers to the box personal. I had to make a separate trip to the RV store to get those. They only had ones in the shape of a 5T and I am ashamed to say I put them on my pup

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Looks like an item for those desperate for a gift idea, or know it all can be used and have no local source.
    A look through the "must haves' list would give a good idea of things to make your own kit, specific for your pup.

Here are some of our basics: (Our pup is bare bones, so most of the boxed set would be useless for us.)
    We have 2 different electrical adapters, have used each of them once or twice this year; bought one at an RV place and the other at the campground where I found it was needed (& they were not over-priced there).
    Also we do have a drinking water hose, even though the pup has no water hook-up; found it at Walmart for a reasonable price. It is short, to use to fill water jugs when a spigot is at an awkward height; I need to buy a new water thief for non-threaded spigots.
    Heavy outdoor extension cord(s), for farther away power boxes, or to use a separate outlet for the heater.

5. jdplus3

jdplus3 Member

when we bought our pup that box was in one of the cabinets, i dont remember all that was in it but i kept adding to it.

6. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Although its typical in CA not to have hookups. But in other states or areas of CA that did have water hookups, I think only 1 time would a 10' hose get me to the water spigot (spelling?).

Most of the time a 25' hose would do just fine and only a couple times it was a little more than that.

7. Twisty

Twisty New Member

If you were new to the game it looks like a cool deal.
    BUT, knowing what I know now - not so cool.

8. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco New Member

We bought our PU new in 2006 and they gave us a starter kit like that. Ours had a 25 foot white drinking water hose instead of a 10 foot one and there was a roll of single ply toilet paper in it also and everything else thats in that starter kit. Was it worth the $26.00 bucks, yeah probably, but if you get it off e-bay you'll be paying shipping and handling and that makes it not worth it.... Ed C. [;)]

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

They make about 5 different kits like that.. I have seen them for small TT's , large TT's, 5er's pup's and even truck campers..

We got one "thrown in" when we bought our pup, A few things have been used, a few others not at all yet.

Here is what our kit contained (going from memory)
    10 foot whate water hose
    15/30A adaptor
    plastic water regulator
    brass 45 hose adaptor
    gray water adaptor plug (garden hose to sewer pipe)

So far I have used everything but the gray water adaptor.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Starter kits in my book are like cheap christmas presents. Kind of what you want ..... but not really. How about the set of jumper cables that you may have got with a 1/2 of plastic around a piece of 16 gauge wire ........ when you really need them .... they do not work well.

12. SkamperCampers

SkamperCampers New Member

I agree 100%. I prefer to make my own starter/emergency kits instead of relying on the usually cheap and limited supplies provided in these kits.