Pop up couch

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Mom26mimzi21, May 7, 2019.

1. Mom26mimzi21

Mom26mimzi21 New Member

Has anyone modified/replaced the couch to make it more comfortable?

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The goucho couch? The ones I have had in my campers get used as another place to put stuff. How do you find it uncomfortable? What type of pup do you have?

3. Mom26mimzi21

Mom26mimzi21 New Member

Rockwood freedom . Has a wooden couch with cushion that slide out to make it a twin bed for someone to sleep on. Just not comfortable in that it isn't very deep when in pushed in position. Trying to figure out if bigger cushions are needed or just replace it with something else--looing for ideas

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I Personally find keeping the couch in bed mode and just add a pillow or something as a back rest was far more comfortable. Think of it as a day bed. I have also only pushed the couch in a part way and kind of leaned the back cushions between the back wall and the couch cushions. I didn't want to go all out on the couch as everything I would do would mean extra setup or more stuff to store.
    I agree the couch is quite narrow and designed for a person to sit straight up with feet flat on the floor. I'm sorry, but I'm not in school anymore and don't know anyone who sits that way when on vacation. ;)

5. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

The goucho couch seems more like a place to pile stuff and use as an extra bed, rather than a place to sit and relax. I mean, you can sit on it, but you're not going to recline and get comfortable. As far as the extra bed goes, it seems ideal for that someone you don't want to overstay their welcome. Kind of like the fold-out couch at home. ;)
    Personally, if you don't need the goucho couch for an extra bed, it seems like it would be more useful to rip it out and replace with a long and narrow cabinet for extra storage inside it and counter space on top.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Brent&Amy

Brent&Amy New Member

Hi mom26.. we removed our flimsy old pull out couch and build new one. The old couch squeaked like crazy and was very uncomfortable (not to mention UGLY). Plus whenever you wanted to get into the bed we had to step on couch and it would tend to fold out on it's own. The new couch is framed out of 2×4 so it's very sturdy. I rounded the corners to make it look better and installed lift arms and hinges on rear of cushions to make it easier to access storage area. The cushions are 4 inch thick foam that we got from JoAnne's fabric along with grey fabric that is moisture resistant and stain proof. We used sturdy 3/4 inch boards (not plywood) for cushion base so it will last for a very long time. Out of all the projects we've done on camper I think the couch is my favorite. The thick foam is so comfortable that I sleep on it most trips even though our beds have memory foam toppers. We made back cushions as well that velcro to wall but after a few trips they just got in the way so we keep them at home. My wife bought 2 medium size couch pillows that match curtains and that has worked well so far. Good luck & happy camping!

Attached Files:

Heidi100 likes this.