Pop up definition

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Bob Sandlak, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Bob Sandlak

Bob Sandlak New Member

is a Popup tent camper considered a tent category as State Parks say tent spots only available?

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Depends on where it is. Some tent site require you to carry everything in. Best to call ahead and speak with someone at the campground.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

In my experience, a "TENT" site in a campground definition is a site with no wheeled vehicle access.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Depends on where you are. Some TX SPs specify tent sites as "walk in only," a large open area with a nearby parking lot. Most of the older parks have sites with individual parking per site. You would need to call the park and verify that parking is available for 2 vehicles per site or that the park has an overflow parking area.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In most campgrounds we use, "tents only" means just that - a tent erected on the ground or tent pad. Often the parking space is small, just large enough for the vehicle or a big larger. There are also some tents sites that have walk-in access, with a separate parking area, not adjacent to the tent site. Those are usually specified. In some places we've been, "tents only" loops do not allow any type of RV - popup, van, etc. to stay there e.g. Watchman CG at Zion NP has a couple of tents only loops.
    You may need to call the campground for clarification if you cannot figure it out from the listing. Most reservation sites we use list length of parking space, for example. You can also use campsitephotos.com or google maps satellite view to gather more info on a campground.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

with a chassis, wheels and so forth - its ain't no tent. We'all bought our pop-ups because we are all done with tents :)

campfire Joe and xxxapache like this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It totally varies! Ask if you can.

Sometimes it means "walk up only", and you don't park at your site. Obviously that won't do.

Sometimes it means no hookups, but if you fit they don't care.

Sometimes they are labeled thus because a typical RV would have problems getting TO the spot.

Sometimes they want to be able to charge trailers more and this is an easy way to do it.

Sometimes it's for a quiet loop--no water pumps, no generators.

Some places get really picky about it, sometimes for no good reason. We don't use private campgrounds and I don't know what they do, but one place at Yellowstone wouldn't let us park our petite truck camper in a tent site because...? The only difference between tent and RV sites was the size of the parking pad. No hookups for RVs, no tent pads for tents. Just parking size. Both types were mixed together. We fit fine, but nope, not allowed. What if we put up a tent? Then it'd be allowed, but we hadn't brought a tent. :/

8. BillyMc

In that case I'd always carry one of these.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

:)

We do now carry a tent with the truck camper because the kids grew and it just became too crowded. That's also why we got the popup trailer, but it can't go as many places.

BillyMc likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

In Fl State Parks Most tent sites have no hook ups and some but no all are carry in. I use RV or TT sites they usually have hook ups also some tent sites are short.

11. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

I haven’t seen any tent sites that allowed a pop up; and typically have too short of a parking spot for a pop up plus TV.

Is there ever a difference between RV sites and trailer sites for parks that show both in their reservation system?

12. BillyMc

I read of a site that's listed as a tent site because of a low tree across the drive that RVs and TTs wouldn't clear. A PUP could use the site because once past the tree there was room to setup. I know of a CG that has a designated PUP area and another that has separate RV and tent area, but doesn't allow PUPs at all.

13. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

As many suggested, 'call'. I do not remember the details, but I do remember that I was confused with some terms and how the sites were labeled when I was looking at them through either state or NP reservation system. So, I called the campsite who clarified it for me. I would stay away with my pop up from a 'tent site. @PopUpSteve, said it best in a few words :). But, if confusion, please call.

14. davido

davido Active Member

Many campgrounds will list tent only sites, and when they do, the usually mean you can't get a trailer into the site, the site is away from the parking area, that sort of thing.

Some campground will say "No tents" to mean trailers only.
    Some will say "Hard side trailers only; no tent trailers", and that's usually because you are in grizzly bear country.