Pop-up First timer and I think I found the one! Would love feedback.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by perdiller, Sep 27, 2019.

1. perdiller

perdiller New Member

Hello Everyone! I just stumbled across this site and am so excited to have found it. I have been on the hunt for my family's first pop up for a couple months. We live in NC and have 2 dogs and a 5 year old girl and 8 year old boy. I am very nervous and excited at the same time! :) I have been torn between ac, showers, bathroom, etc. But realized with every extra option comes the potential something else to break. I have decided that I would rather have the option of AC than a bathroom to worry about and plan to go with a tent and potty set up outside for the night and number #1 trips. My husband is not a handy person AT ALL so it would be me jumping in to fix anything that goes wrong or doing any upgrades.

With that being said, I think that I have found a great deal and a perfect first time pop-up for my family! I appears to be in great shape and camping ready. I am suppose to go look at it tomorrow morning. So sorry for the long post, I just want to be prepared as possible. This is the listing for the pop up.

"2012 Flagstaff MAC 207 by Forest River. We are selling our beloved pop up of 8 years to someone willing to love it the way we have. We purchased new in November of 2011 from the former Hawley’s Camping Center in Garner, NC. We are only selling because we have purchased a new camper. Our camper has been garage kept since we have owned it and will continue to be until it’s sold. I have meticulously maintained and cared for this little trailer. New tires were installed in the summer of 2018 as well as re-caulked the roof seams with Dicor lap sealant for preventative maintenance. I had a custom bicycle rack made for the rear of the trailer to haul two bikes. All lights, A/C, furnace, three-burner stove top, three-way fridge, on-board water pump, heated mattresses, plumbing, battery, electric brakes and most importantly POWER ROOF work perfectly on it. The upholstery, cabinetry and flooring is factory and perfect. I made a small hanging shelf that has proven very handy for a little extra st"

The guy has just upgraded to a hybrid and doesn't have the space for the two. He is going to wait for us to get there tomorrow so we can see him open the camper up and how to set everything up and be able to watch him take it down. I know that was a big one on the list. I have looked through the multiple post regarding things to look for and questions to ask. But would love any additional feed back anyone may have on the pictures of the camper below. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

txmnjim and 1380ken like this.
  2. bstat

bstat New Member

Congrats on the find and I hope it's as good as the pictures show.

- Number 6 In Line

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Consider the fact that this camper has always been stored indoors to be a huge bonus, as these pics would seem to indicate. Back in 2000 we ordered a brand new Fleetwood Santa Fe which I stored in my heated workshop so the only time it was exposed to the elements was when we were actually camping. Six years later we sold it to upgrade to a hybrid and the popup was about as close to showroom new as any trailer could. Indoor storage makes a HUGE difference. [:D]

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That's promising!

Do consult with somebody that knows something about the rack in the rear before using it though. Some of them are not actually okay for popup butts.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

I have a 2014 Mac-208. Other than the layout (mine has two tables, one on each end), it looks almost identical to mine except for the AC, which I don't have. We really love ours and other than a few minor issue, has really been reliable. With that being said, I also am diligent in maintaining ours. Campers need constant attention and need you to pay attention to the details in maintaining them.

It looks good in the pictures. The tell tail sign that it has been garage kept are the roof latches. If they are clean (no rust), like in the pictures, then the only time the pup has seen any weather is when it is in use. I can see no major issues in the pictures but that does not mean there aren't any. Only a personal inspection can determine that.

The bike rack on the back is not necessarily a plus because if it wasn't secured properly, it could cause damage. The pup's frame is NOT designed to carry weight like that, so there should be some sound engineering involved with attaching one to the back of the pup rather than just slapping it to the back. See THIS post I just got done writing. It applies more toward roof bike racks, but can also apply to the frame. With that being said, if the rack on this pup is secured properly to the frame, I will be jealous that I don't have one and I want pictures on how I can add one!

I also have the power roof. Be aware that with that AC on top, it will struggle raising the roof on only battery power. Mine struggles on battery power without an AC. Plugged in, the roof goes up fine, but you can hear strain in the motor.

The pull-over galley design is adequate, but it can be cumbersome to shorter users because shorter users don't have the leverage needed to pull up and then out in order to stow it. My wife (five feet and one quarter inch tall - she wants everyone to know about the 1/4 inch[LOL]) struggles with this, but it is easier for her to set it up than to take it down. The "pop out" legs also have some design shortcomings that can make setting it on the floor less simple than it should be. One of mine broke the first year I owned it.

I like the double entry step. Ours only has one so we need a collapsible stool in addition to the single step.

We use the Cabela's shower/potty tent. We don't find it to be a big deal because ours is an ez up style - set up and torn down in minutes.
    IMG_7354.JPG

Can I ask you what the selling price is? I could let you know if they are in the ballpark for a decent price.

I could go on and on. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

txmnjim likes this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Agree - a bike rack hanging off the far rear of a trailer, especially a popup, is a bad idea despite what the current owner may tell you.

7. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I was also going to chime in about the bike rack: if you put bikes on it, you need to put weight up front to compensate.

8. perdiller

perdiller New Member

B6CD097B-9D01-4BC0-8ACA-5C7F756D9A56.JPG Thank you all for the feedback on my post. I am happy to report that it was everything we hoped for and we are now pop-up owners. We are excited about the adventures ahead!!

BillyMc, Raycfe, txmnjim and 7 others like this.
  9. perdiller

perdiller New Member

We bought it for $3500. After doing the research and seeing what others were going for we thought it was a really great deal. Thank you for all your help!

SHFL, Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.
  10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I think you did very well at $3500.

txmnjim likes this.
  11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

looks like one happy family there - ready to go camping. Hope you get many great trips with that new2u camper!!

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new toy, and have fun!

13. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Awright! Tomorrow's October, a/k/a prime camping season. Read the Camp Driveway posts; you'll learn a ton about what you need to bring just by noting what everyone went back into the house for.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  14. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

You got a great deal! I have a Flagstaff MAC 228 D ( 2018). We have enjoyed it. I paid almost as much as you did for your MAC for a 1999 Coleman Taos several years ago. It did not have the options that your pup has.The money saved from one or two vacations staying in your pup instead of hotel/motel will pay for your Flagstaff.

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Congrats! You did great on that fine looking rig! Wow, up here that would have sold in 1 hour for $8,000. I sold my 1995 PUP two years ago and had a bidding war in the driveway for $2500, and that was $300 more that I paid for it 5 years earlier!

Great job. Camp like you stole it (you practically did!):laugh:

BillyMc likes this.
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

If I could have found used campers that nice here I wouldn't have bought a new one.
    Enjoy

17. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

That seems like a very good deal!

18. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Congratulations! BTW - we live near each other - I'm in HS.

That Dollar Store is a great place to stock up on inexpensive camping items. Jordan Lake is a good place for a first trip. Close enough to home and familiar areas for when you realize you forgot something. :laugh:

Enjoy!

19. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png