Pop-up gizmos installed

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Neil0215, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Neil0215

Neil0215 New Member

Installed the gizmos today and I have to say I'm impressed. Just sitting in my driveway in full sun, there's already a big temperature difference than without them. I had Bob sew on the velcro and I'm so glad I did. Went to Lowe's and picked up some industrial strength velcro and attached it just under the roof lip like many other have done so I can just leave them attached when we pop down.

2. Neil0215

Neil0215 New Member

Pics of the install

Attached Files:

3. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

They look really great! Nice install.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Looks good. I added hooks under the bunks and an assortment of rings and mini carabiners. Makes it so much easier to secure now. I was not impressed with the cheap plastic clips that came with them. I had 2 break after my 2nd trip using them.

You may also need to reinforce the velcro you installed on the roof with some staples. On mine, at least in the hot Texas sun the velcro would start to come undone, so I ran some heavy gauge staples with a staple gun along the strip. No more issues. However - I don't think I used the industrial strength stuff, so you may not have to worry as much.

One summer I added some pool noodles under the pugs, which helped insulate a little more on the bunks. This last summer I didn't use them and my AC struggled more to keep it cool in the afternoon. Granted I had no shade at that spot compared to the prior year. Only problem with the pool noodles is they take up a lot of room when packed. I am thinking I might get some reflectix and use a sheet under the pugs to help supplement the insulation.

HappyTraveler and Neil0215 like this.
  5. Neil0215

Neil0215 New Member

I used 3M automotive tape under the roof lip, and the velcro also had an adhesive backing. I'm thinking between the 2 adhesives...they're on for good! I also bought some reflectix and cut it to fit the bunk end windows.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Looks good. I need to order for our new pup soon. One of the best investments we made on out 1st pup.

7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

We added pool noodles around the bunk ends 2 seasons ago. My youngest ds said to me "Mom why don't we cut them in half so they are easier to store under the seats?" As they say "out of the mouths of babes" (though he was 15 at the time). They fit perfectly under the seats to store and they still work around the bunkends. I'm still mulling the gizmos since we may upgrade in a couple of years. We have been lucky when camping to get spots that were shady so the pup stays fairly comfortable.

8. Wilkywoods

Wilkywoods Member

9. Wilkywoods

Wilkywoods Member

II'm trying to understand the install.. What's the pug? And the pool noodles serve what purpose?

10. Sneezer

Pop up gizmos. The pool noodles are placed between the canvas and the gizmo. It creates an air gap that further reduces the heat from the sun getting to the canvas.

HappyTraveler and Wilkywoods like this.
  11. Wilkywoods

Wilkywoods Member

12. Wilkywoods

Wilkywoods Member

AAhh ok duh. the noodles are on the top then? Sorry, just hearing about these.. Sound like a must! We will be staying mostly at fairgrounds which have no trees!

13. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

Those are pretty cool !! I have the same exact PUP and they look good on there !

14. Sneezer

Yes - they go on the top, sandwiched between the gizmos and the canvas.

The thing I don't like about them is they take up a lot of room for storage. If you don't strap them together they kind of go everywhere when you are trying to cram them into the aisle.

15. CheapCampingComfort

CheapCampingComfort New Member

After realizing that our AC can only do so much in the heat, I just ordered a set of PUGs.
    And I will try the pool noddle idea when they arrive because I have a bunch just lying around in the garage.
    Thanks for the tip.

16. Dan_Wyo

Dan_Wyo New Member

Instead of Pool noodles would a blow-up pool rings work to provide the air gap? Uninflated they would take up very little space.

HappyTraveler likes this.