pop up heat

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by 97fixerupper, Dec 16, 2012.

1. 97fixerupper

97fixerupper New Member

I recently went camping in my father's pop up since mine is not operational yet. I noticed that the p.o. had taken the 3-way fridge out and replaced it with a dorm fridge. I think that they capped the gas line because there was no gas going to the pilot. I'm sure that there is a way to re-connect it. For those of you that dont use the pop up furnace, what are some of your alternative heating methods? :)

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our previous pup did not have a furnace. We used an electric space heater on several cold weather trips, though it limited us to campgrounds with electricity. We also used an electric mattress pad, which helped us sleep more comfortably, esp. on one trip when it headed into the teens.

There are several threads on others' solutions here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

If you're camping in cold weather, heat retaining measures are also important.

3. jasf

jasf New Member

We use a small space heater. Sometimes on really cold nights we'll use a buddy heater before we get in for the night.

4. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

Used a space heater in my pup a couple of times but both times it could not keep up.

The fact that the bare sheet-metal pup box walls are not insulated, and the entire pup is a massive air leak on wheels does not help matters either. Last April I camped in temperatures of +8*C in the daytime and -3*c overnight, and the best the heater could do was +15*C next to the heater, and +5*C at the bed wings. That's a 10*C difference in temperature within 6 feet.

I don't think I will be doing any cold weather camping until I upgrade to a TT or solid walled pup (re: Aliner).

5. 97fixerupper

97fixerupper New Member

I was thinking about buying the Duraflame fireplace heater that heats 400 sq. feet. It doesnt get hot to the touch so I think that it would be safe to use. I'm also considering the mattress heaters and electric blankets.

6. Big Pit

Big Pit Camping Time!

it happened to me before, when using the gas in the stove or anything else the pilot wont turn on. try to light it up with out using the gas on anything else before you start buying and spending!

7. kcandstinger

kcandstinger New Member

We found that if we close the curtains and do not heat the ends the camper will warm up, and we just heat the end we are going to sleep in to warm up the covers and put the mattress heater on and we are good to go, I did add a few blankets to the pop up for those cold nights. If it was really cold could probably sleep on the dinette and keep the curtains for the ends closed.

8. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Please dont try to fix the gas lines yourself. Let someone who is certified in gas do the work. Use your local RV repair shop or sometimes a plumbing/heating co has a tech that is cert in propane or natural gas. You can also check with any propane gas dealer. Usually the techs wont work on it during co time but will do side work on it. Again it is too dangerous to let a greenhorn work on it. Thanks

9. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

We usually don't have hookups so we use Mr Heater. It give us various settings and allows us to move it around to areas where we want it. Nice thing is it is gradual heat instead of a blast from the furnace. It has a small built in circulating fan. Although I have the hook up hose to larger tanks we just use the one pounders.

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I'm not a cold weather camper per se, it's only when I get caught by some circumstance, like a weather front moving through. If I see freezing weather is in the forecast then I don't go (unless we are staying in a cabin!) - as far as I can confirm the temperature I know of two instances where it dropped down to 25 degrees and these were on late fall or early spring fishing trips.

Had p'ups with the the "furnace" which I totally do not like because of the racket it makes. When staying at C/G's with electrical hookups I would use a little ceramic 110V heater, however, seldom stay at those type places. Our main stay is usually the NFS C/G's where no electric is available and then the source of heat is the MrBuddy heater (regular sized unit) and most always connected to a 20 lb L/P tank. Always kept the p'up comfortable down to about freezing but it was downhill from about that point on. Have used a Mr.Buddy since about the time they first hit the market in this area and that was the fall of 2000 and has proved to be a great little heater.

11. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

In our area, I found it nearly impossible to find someone who was willing to convert a NG range/oven to LP. It involves changing an orifice and spring in the regulator and all the orifices on the cook top. I did this and changed it back when we got NG in our area.
    So it is a liability insurance issue with companies these days.
    Do the work if you can't find anyone and check each connection with a leak detector. And make sure your CO/LP detector is working properly (or get one)! [;)]

12. bropaul

bropaul New Member

The prev. owner of our first pup had installed a propane heater (from another pup) in place of the water tank that was located under the dinette seat. Because of my concerns, my DH purchased a Mr. Heater as we camp every October in northern Michigan. Our current pup has an AC/heater but we discovered it is only able to increase the air temp by 15 to 20 degrees... when we have electric. Now Mr. Heater goes with us every trip. This year we purchased the hose adapter and ran it off our second 20# tank. (Ours only runs about 6 hours on 'low' from a 1# tank.) This October we had several nights when it dropped to 27 and there was ice on the river's edge...

We have insulated curtains and keep the rear bunk's privacy curtains closed. We only have "the Buddy" size Mr. Heater and it kept the inside temp at 65 (27 outside) while running on 'high'. These units are extremely safe and have a built in CO2 detector/auto shut off feature.

You will find other threads on this site regarding 'gizmos' and other ways to insulate your bunk ends. We will be looking into adding these features to save on propane use.

Diane

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Heat retention is almost as important as heat generation. Popup Gizmos on the outside tops of the bunk ends, either Reflectix inserts in the windows or Gizmos interior bunk end liners, sheets of Styrofoam under the mattresses and carpet or rugs on the floor will all help hold in the heat generated and make the camper much more comfortable.

14. capy235co

capy235co Member

If I read what you said correctly, the PO took out the 3 way fridge but you have a furnace without a pilot. My 2002 Coleman does not have a pilot for the heater but rather comes on when the unit turns on.