Pop Up jack for changing tire?

JimintheNorth

Mar 6, 2021
I'm looking for a jack to change the tire if that is needed on our next (long) trip. I looked around and only found leveling jacks. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions for types?

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
I carry a small 2 ton jack when I'm hooked to the campers. It is old and blue and has no name on it. You might find something at a pawn show that you can rely on but not break the bank. This 2 ton can lift one wheel of my TT, although strained, but easily lifted my PUP. Add a nice breakerbar and socket for your TV and Trailer for a winner setup.
Anything this sized could do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Hydraulic-Trolley-Floor-Capacity/dp/B002E1AYAY

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I personally have a bottle jack although don't know how sturdy it would be on uneven ground. I have yet to use it though other then make sure it worked in a parking lot. So probably not ideal but much easier to store. I figure if I lower my levelers to help support the bottle jack (not to take weight but prevent shifting). there would be less wiggle especially if hooked to the tow vehicle I should be OK. Well that was my reasoning at the time. Probably not ideal on the side of a highway with cars driving 100mph past you.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I suggest trying your tow vehicle jack in your driveway prior to actually needing it, since many have a "head" designed to fit specific areas under the vehicle.

For roadside use I have an old GM truck scissor jack, home use I have a 3ton floor jack with 22" lift.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I carry a bottle jack and boards in my TT. I have used them on the road, too. I have dual axles. The same day after having a new tire put on, I used one Anderson leveler to pull a tire up on to change out the spare for a new tire.

20210623_172119.jpg

Last edited:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I carry 2 bottle jacks and boards also. You never know what you will need. Especially if your on a hill. Also make sure it gits under the pup with a flat tire. Some find out the hard way the jack is too big.

michaeltdyer

Nov 26, 2012
Denver Colorado
I suggest trying your tow vehicle jack in your driveway prior to actually needing it, since many have a "head" designed to fit specific areas under the vehicle.

For roadside use I have an old GM truck scissor jack, home use I have a 3ton floor jack with 22" lift.

I second this - try removing a tire at home to make sure your solution is working before you have a flat on the road. I have a bottle jack and when I tested it I found it did not lift enough for me to remove the tire. I know carry some wood blocks to raise it up so I can remove a tire if I ever need to.

kgesiako

Mar 26, 2016
Chicagoland area
I use this and it’s fantastic! Easy to use and set up. I’ve used it in my driveway many times for doing maintenance and things, and helps to avoid spending too much time on the roadside playing with setup. The cutout goes around the axle and you just pull forward to raise the tire. If you go too far then it’s just like falling off a curb with a small drop and you reset and try again. Usually takes me about a minute to get it set in position and tire off ground, you can paint a spot on axle for ideal setup location so you don’t have to think about it roadside. 4EF78BFF-B785-4A90-B6C8-029F5E4F142D.jpeg

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-LifT-F-2...words=small+floor+jacks&qid=1624477530&sr=8-2
Put in your tow vehicle and forget about it...Even when not towing the camper you will be glad you have it vs
using the garbage pain in the butt onboard vehicle jack if your TV even has one.
Dont forget to throw a 1/2 drive rachet and extension and socket for your
lug nuts if your camper does not have one,
I carry one in the truck all the time. The stock jacks are a real pain to use. I have a bag I throw in when we go camping with a Milwaukee cordless impact, Milwaukee air compressor and a Cheap tire plug kit from Harbor freight.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I carry one in the truck all the time. The stock jacks are a real pain to use. I have a bag I throw in when we go camping with a Milwaukee cordless impact, Milwaukee air compressor and a Cheap tire plug kit from Harbor freight.
Yep...they are pretty cheezy.

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
DITTO on trying it out, at home, first...

I used our TV jack, along with a chunk of 4x4 [and an extendable socket wrench] to put new tires on the PUP... worked like a charm!

even though we have "Roadside Assistance", it's 'peace of mind" just in case and... without adding a more gear and weight

Happy Trails!

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Wow, lots of good advice here. I was using a small floor jack that I used for everything at home. But it was just too big and bulky for storing in the PUP. Then one day I stopped on the side of the road to take a break, and there was a scissors jack just lying there with my name on it. The person that left it was kind enough to also leave a wheel chock. It appeared to have been there for a while. Well, one thing led to another and somehow it ended up in the back of my pickup. I tested raising the PUP at home and found that it and my 1/2 inch Cordless drill would easily raise the tire up off the ground. I have since found two other scissor jacks on the side of the road. And so many wheel chocks that I don't even stop to pick them up any more.