Pop up mattresses

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Twinmum, Jun 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hello all, s’me nube personified, with yet another question...So we are moving along with our renovation, and now I am trying to find decent mattresses. As you all know the the sizes of the pullouts are strange. The larger one of ours is 70x75 and the smaller one is 60x75. The old mattresses measured around 4” high. (I read all the info about making sure not to get one that is too thick because the top won’t close, so we intend to do the tissue box test ). But...I have back and neck issues and we want to get good mattresses, that won’t be too hot and that will fit correctly, but don’t want to break the bank. All the ones I have found are either too small or too large. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    EmilyW likes this.
  2. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

Good rest is top priority for me. Otherwise, it feels like it defeats the purpose of camping! Ha! Our beds measure full size, so we didn't have difficulty with sizing. Our mattress is about 3 inches foam. We put down anti-fatigue mats under the mattress (cheap from Harbor Freight). Then we bought 1.5 inch cool memory foam. We top it with a waterproof mattress covers, and jersey t-shirt stretchy type sheets that are so far, really great. I don't normally use the jersey knit on anything, but they are staying on so well, and that's what really had me concerned. I bought full size duvet covers and large safety pins (about 3 inches long). We pinned together bedding in the house that were about the same size, then slipped it into the duvet covers. These do not stay on the bed when traveling, but everything else does. I really wanted a clean look and ease of making the bed, and so far, this was a good judgement call. For your situation, you can either buy a size larger on foam and cut it to size, or buy a mattress that is smaller than your space. I've also heard of some great air mattress options that are specific for backpacking that some people like (sounds kind firm to me!). We only did one "before" sleeping test run where we slept only on the original foam, and it was pretty miserable for all 6 of us! I looked at bedding ideas all over the internet and put this combination together, and ever since, we sleep like babies. I'm not sure which part made the biggest impact, but I know we aren't changing anything! Haha! Best of luck.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Camper mattresses are always an odd size it seems. Most places don't sell them, and those that do ask a pretty penny. Mine is a 99, still has the original mattresses (which were not that comfortable). I also added interlocking anti-fatigue mats underneath, and a topper to the mattress. I found a regular foam (not memory) at Walmart on clearance some years ago. It was too big so I used an electric kitchen knife to trim the excess. This worked great. I also have a waterproof cover from Target. It has sort of a microfiber feel to it and is not that PVC crinkly stuff that you can often find for cheap. I use regular sheets on top, mainly because I got them cheap. They are a little big (king size) but the queen was too small for the fitted sheet. Truthfully, I should have gotten a king fitted and queen flat, but the price was right so I will deal with it.

With some nice pillows I sleep better in the camper than I do at home. I am hot natured, so memory foam is not a good match for me. I have a memory foam topper at home because my wife finds it more comfortable since the new mattress we bought was firmer than our old one. I however dislike it - I get too hot at night, and frequently wake up with sore muscles in my back. I don't get that in the pup. In fact, I frequently oversleep while camping (me and mornings don't really get along anyway).

Others have just bought some thick foam from a mattress company, and trimmed it to size in order to replace the stock mattress.

4. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

I hear ya, I sleep hot, and my husband sleeps cold. Good to know that memory foam makes you hotter. Good info, thanks!

5. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Thanks for the info! Where’d you get your foam and
    Thanks for the response! Good info re putting the bedding inside the duvet cover. If I may ask, where did you get your cool memory foam topper? I have to get a move on.

6. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

I made my own mattresses using foam from www.foambymail.com. I have a 1 inch layer of firm foam, 2 inch layer of medium foam, and a 2 inch layer of latex. Also had them make a custom mattress cover. Very comfortable. Just like sleeping at home. Stock mattress was terrible. In the past I tried 3 inch layer of medium foam and 2 inch latex topper but I bottomed out side sleeping at 190 lbs. So I changed to a medium 2 inch layer and 1 inch firm layer. You may have to play around with foam thickness and density to find out what is comfortable for you.

7. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

8. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Wow thanks loads! I’m going the link now.

9. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Ok so I just went out to the website. I sent them an email to see about their custom foam mattresses. We can’t have a mattress higher than 4”.

10. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

With a 4 inch limit I would start with 2 inch LUX firm foam, 1 inch HD36 medium foam, and 1 inch memory or latex foam and adjust from there for comfort/firmness/weight. What I did was build my smaller mattress the kids slept on, adjusted for what I liked, then ordered the larger mattress based on that. It is hard though because we all have different preferences for comfort, firmness, etc. I personally hate memory foam because it sleeps hot but some hate the springiness of latex.

Spridle likes this.
  11. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hey Brettstoner, yeah, I’m with you, I sleep hot as well, it I’ve never slept on any kind of foam so I don’t know the difference. Anyway I sent an email to the company, this morning, with all of my dimensions and they got back to me already with options! How’s that for customer service!?! Thanks for turning me on to them!

12. ham fam

ham fam Member

Did you glue the pieces together, or just lay them on top of each other? if you used glue does it make the mattresses harder? Seems that it may be expensive trying all those pieces out to get the right fit? But I like the idea.

13. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

I did both. On one side I used 3M spray adhesive and on the other side I just layered them because I ran out of spray adhesive. The spray adhesive doesnt make it stiffer or crunchy. There is no difference between them and the nonglued doesnt shift around. Either way is fine I think.

Also it is cheaper to buy the foam pieces in a larger bed size and cut to fit yourself verse buying them the exact size you need. Cost vs convenience.

14. ham fam

ham fam Member

Thanks for the info.

15. ham fam

ham fam Member

Ok after some research today, I am thinking that my current mattresses are still usable and and just need some additions. Currently we sink through it enough to feel the plywood.

I measured and I can add 2" of foam to what is existing, and still get the roof closed. I am thinking i need at least 1" of Lux foam as a base, and either 1" of HD36 or another Lux. My plan is to put both of whatever under the current mattress. The current mattress has heaters built in as well, which is another reason to save them. And the foam company is basically out of Latex toppers, and they don't make the memory foam in 1". I am guessing my current foam mattress (OEM) is soft like the Poly Foam that the foam company makes.

Based on your experiences, what are your thoughts?

16. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

We have 5" of basic poly and it's great for us. bought from foamfactory. I buy a regular bed size and cut it down with an cheap electric carving knife that I bought just for the job.