Pop-up on 20' Yellowstone site?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by tfischer, Feb 21, 2019.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Can you get a pop-up on a 20' site in Yellowstone? We tow with a mini-van if that matters.

Our pup is a 10' box so a little less than 20' deployed. But in most campgrounds you gain more room over the rear stop of the site.

I've read some places (here?) that people have done it, but we just called and they told us we'd need a 30' site... which are pretty much gone for our time frame already. Is this accurate?

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

If memory serves me, the rule is everything (camper and TV) has to be off the road. If you're creative, you might be able to make it work. When we were there a couple years ago, there was a fifth-wheel at Madison that was so big he was pulling it with a Freightliner. I sure it was a 40-foot site, but he managed to make it work.

If you're a little more adventuresome, there are several US Forest Service campgrounds in and just outside Yellowstone. The drawback is there are only vault toilets and you can't make a reservation. Some folks will tell you they fill up before noon every day. However, we were there in August and drove through several of them in the middle of the afternoon that had open sites. [:)C]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    tfischer likes this.
  3. romno

romno New Member

We stayed at Canyon with a 17 ft (open) PUP and an 18 ft tow vehicle. We had a 30 ft site. It was exactly 30 ft deep by about 9 ft wide with log barriers on all 3 sides (plus a significant drop off on the back). We barely fit. There is no way we would have fit in a similar 20 ft site. Some sites are wider (or have a wider opening) and you may be able to park cross-wise or diagonal. However, Murphy's Law says you would end up with a 20 ft site the same shape as ours...

tfischer likes this.
  4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You haven't indicated just which campground within Yellowstone you're talking about but I can tell you that when we last camped at Grant Village quite a few of the sites were just loops off the campground road. With our 10' Santa Fe which measured 15' coupler to bumper parked at one end of this loop I had barely enough room to also park our Explorer and still clear the campground road, so yeah you'd want to pay attention to what you're being told about site length.

5. world traveler

world traveler Member

Not in Yellostone, but one time we fit in a 20' campsite. The approach angle was tough so it took several attempts, then we manually rotated the trailer so it fits on an angle with the banks off to the sides, and the car fit partially sideways. It was OK after but I wouldn't want to do that again especially on one way road with cars waiting.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I think you could fit into a 25' We parked sideways at the front of our site at Canyon and fit in fine. As long as you are off the main road into your site enough some folks can get by easily, then you will be OK. 10' box backed over the end only needs about 12 feet total and then you squeeze the van into the rest of the space. So maybe ask for a 25'.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We've camped in Grant and Bridge Bay. The sites were a small loop and we always reserved I believe a 35' site (maybe 40'). Our pup opened is 23.5' and our TV was about 17'. Plenty of room to fit the pup, but we had to park at an angel to make sure out TV was not in the road. They also let you know that you must stayed on the paved loop when parking your pup.

So getting a 20' site is gonna take a lot of imagination to get both to fit!!!!

8. tfischer

Thanks for the input everyone. We don't know which campground yet... whereever we can get reservations and will fit lol.

Sounds like there are a lot of variables. I hate that things fill up a year in advance... that sort of planning just doesn't work well with a busy family that has summer events that don't get scheduled (out of our control) until a few months out at best.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If tight , i would try to angle it a bit. If the beds have room, they should. Might be a little more work but im sure you can do it. Not ideal, but what is.

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Some of the popular campgrounds at Yellowstone are run pretty strictly (by Xanterra I think). They wouldn't let me use a tent spot with my truck camper (which takes up exactly as much space as a truck) because I didn't have a tent but most places don't care where the truck camper goes because it takes up exactly as much space as a truck that brings a tent.

Just don't plan to be able to hang over. They might not allow it.

tfischer likes this.
  11. tfischer

Just an update: My wife called back with our potential date ranges and found a site where they can accommodate us in Madison Campground. This is going to be fun!

Turfit and neighbormike like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Nice! So your good to go now! Have fun!

tfischer likes this.
  13. silvermickey2002

Nice, we haven't camped in Madison yet! So we expect a full report when you get back! [A]

Sjm9911 and tfischer like this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Yes, sometimes you can let the rear bunk end hang over a drop off. That said drop offs aren't the only factor limiting the length of a camp site. The end could be blocked by trees or boulders etc. The only time I'll reserve a site shorter is if I've actually seen the site for myself and know it will fit. With two pre-teen boys I usually try to get the biggest site I can find, they need room.

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You're going to have a great time. I shot this photo of these two settling their differences just down the road from Madison toward West Yellowstone, MT. [:)C]

profilepic38627_5.jpg

Turfit and tfischer like this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out. My best advice is to trust the information you get from the campground. They are the experts and if they say you won't fit, you do it anyway, get there and find out you really don't fit, then your vacation is messed up.

It's one thing to "give it a try" at a local campground, but a big vacation trip deserves more.

kitphantom likes this.
  17. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We camped at madison in the past. We turned the pup sideways on the site by hand and everything worked great. Make sure you check out the swimming hole just south of Madison cg on the Firehole river. We love that place.

gladecreekwy, tfischer and kcsa75 like this.
  18. silvermickey2002

Firehole was a great swimming hole!! Our son loved it!!

gladecreekwy likes this.
  19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

One time I tried to shoe horn my 20 foot pup (12 box, front trunk, a frame tongue) onto a tent site at state park. It was so sloping back I could not detach from truck Lol.

20. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Nice. I think that’s the best campground in the park. Check out Indian Creek if you get a chance. Also beautiful but first come.