Pop up, or sorts...

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by dbhost, Aug 12, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I should have gotten photos, might still...

A friend of mine owns one of those Harbor Freight 4x8 folding utility trailer.

You see this guy hunts, on a VERY rocky hunting lease, that he gets for free from his company, one issue. No bunkhouse, and he is not allowed to use the company RV as that is reserved for clients only.

He needs to literally get up off the ground, and doesn't want to do the camper shell camper thing.

We came up with what most likely is a completely brain dead idea.

#1. Brace the trailer frame. Easy enough.
    #2. Using the slots for the sideboards, build and attach a 2x4 frame for a platform that measures 6x8 and is over the fenders.
    #3. Attach the platform.
    Size up and locate spaces to put holes for thread inserts into the platform. THis is to provide anchor points for the stake loops of his... (Actually mine until he pays me for it...) Coleman SunDome 2 5x7 dome tent. It's in all honesty too small for 2 people, but is a fantastic solo tent. He can air up a regular twin mattress and has plenty of room for a small catalytic heater should he require one. I've used one in this tent in 10 degree weather and been quite comfy.

The only reason he is going to this extent is.

#1. He's even more budget oriented than I am.
    #2. He had the trailer and lumber on hand.
    #3. His truck is too small for a comfortable sleeper shell. (Short Box 2000 Ford Ranger.).

We have it set up as a "prototype", basically built the frame and platform, it's solid, but there are lots of areas for improvement.

#1. Needs stab jacks, or some way to stabilize it.
    #2. We are both concerned that unloaded, with the platform on it can become a sail behind is truck.
    #3. He has no ability to stealth camp in this rig at all, so should he need to stop and rest on the way through, say he leaves work late on a Friday to get out there (8 hr drive), he really can't just pull into a rest stop, or a Walmart parking lot and catch a few Zs before he gets back on the road...

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

There are a TON of Harbor Freight Rvs out there. The trailer is one of the most widely used DIY teardrop campers frames. Google or Pinterest it and your mind will be blown

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I wonder if he has the ability to just leave the trailer locked up on the land? Doesn't seem worth towing a trailer 8 hours each way to just have a tent. He could just carry the tent, air mattresses, and whatever else he needs in the truck with him.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Not sure. I think the idea he has is he uses the trailer for multiple uses. The frame / platform is removable. I figure we can unbolt it in like 10 minutes and stow that in his garage...

Different guy than the TP guy, totally different situation. The TP guy doesn't hunt... This guy is a bit more, uh... eclectic... Yeah that's a good word...

Orchid likes this.
  5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

No doubt.

I have often thought that the big issue though is the fact that it is only 4' wide, so it makes a lousy platform for a couple, and definately unworkable for a family.

Somebody mentioned an idea, I think it was here, making a flip open trailer so that it makes an 8x8 platform over a 48" box and effectively pops up an 8x8 tent. That would be awesome for a couple for sure!

Orchid and bheff like this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I googled around, someone has built a pop up using a utility trailer, not sure the size, but it flips open and they used an 8x12 Ozark Trail Tent that has had the heck modded out of it, as the tenting for it. Pretty slick.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/diy-tent-camper/

crackerJack and Orchid like this.