Pop up portal and my anode

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tom Jordan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

One more reason for a neophyte to follow Pop Up Portal; I didn’t even know that I had an anode behind the drain plug. I think I’ll replace it now.....
    12A56488-B831-4E84-A8FD-C8C966812CB1.jpeg

bheff likes this.
  2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Apparently you found an inch and a sixteenth socket in your tool box. I had to chase to two hardware stores.

jmkay1 and bheff like this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm weird and pull my anode after every trip. It rides just behind the WH door. I have one more year left on it still. I've heard of people using vinegar and then heating it to help remove all the scale that left inside the WH. Personally I think the flush wand works perfectly fine if you stay on top of the maintenance.

4. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Dan, I’m with you on that. I’ve made many of those parts store runs. Happily, the 1 1/16” trip was sometime in the past. I can’t remember, but that one might fit the steering wheel nut on an ‘89 Isuzu Pickup!

kitphantom likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks like it was time :) to replace it.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

When replacing the rod, Suburban recommends this. If on the end of your rod there is a weld nipple, its magnesium and it is to be replaced with an aluminum rod (smooth face) Switch the rods each on replacement.

7. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Thank you, joet, I appreciate the help. I had not found that particular piece of information, although I have found where Suburban suggests an Aluminium anode for highly reactive water sources (high in iron). I plan to stick with magnesium for another year just so I can monitor the deterioration.