Pop up RV or tent

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Gpblazer, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Gpblazer

Gpblazer New Member

Just bought a popup! Have a silly question....When looking at camp grounds, generally speaking, does a pop up count as an RV or a tent for pricing purposes. I understand hook ups are more.

One camp ground says tents only no pop ups or RV and another campground says no tents, will they say a pop up is a tent?. I guess it will always be site specific but was looking for a generality.

Hope this isn't a stupid question.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Most NPs I have visited say anything with wheels is an RV, even if you sleep in your car you are in an RV.

3. BroRobin

BroRobin Member

Generally speaking, 'Tents only' means no wheels under your tent ( a Pop up is not a tent). There may be times when you encounter a CG that will prohibit Pop Ups altogether [:(O] . There was one of those "Snubby - Upitty" CG in Panama City Beach, FL and my brother had a run in with the manager and almost got in trouble with the law because he had a PUP and didn't want to take no for an answer. [:(!]

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy and safe camping, enjoy and have fun. [CP]

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

A pup is considered an rv, at least in every campground that i have been to. That's what it says on my title.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If a CG is tents only, like Genny Lake in the Grand Tetons, then you can't bring any trailer there including your PUP. If a CG has a tent section and an RV section your trailer must go in the RV section. If they say tents are not allowed you can probably go there because you're not a tent but I'd check more closely since places that say that generally tend to mean they only allow hard side RVs. If there is no distinction or separation requirement you can camp where you want. If you are used to tent camping I'd recommend that you seek CGs without hookups or at least those with non-hookup loops to save money.

7. Gpblazer

Gpblazer New Member

Great answers. Thanks.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Well,.... What trailer did you get? ;)

(sent from my phone)

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

And there are a lot of CGs out there, particularly public (NP, SP, NFS, BLM, COE) that have primarily "standard" sites...these aren't specific to any particular type of shelter (tent or RV); they will often stipulate length restrictions, but if you can fit, you're good to go. They generally don't have hookups. Most of the time "tent" only sites don't really have anything more than a small drive to park a car and you usually have to walk into the site to set up; generally p'ups and/or any other RV simply don't fit on the parking pad.

10. rowerwet

rowerwet New Member

I have heard of CG where tents and PUPs were not allowed due to bear issues, only hard-sided campers (not that they will keep a bear out any better) one area this is true of is near the Grand Canyon.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

rowerwet, there is one RV campground in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge that is hard-side only. However, all the other CGs in the park allow hard-sides, PUPs and tents.

I've been to both rims of the Grand Canyon and have never heard of a CG where PUPs and tents are not allowed. Would you please specify the place by name and location?

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Along those lines, we were booking a reservation and it wanted size plus any slides. I assumed what they really needed was overall length when opened not a 12' with two slides. Did I assume correctly? because we know what happens when we assume ( Odd Couple reference)

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

13. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

I've always assumed that to be the size when fully set up. At least, that's the dimensions I've given when asked. Important for calculating how much space will be left on the apron for a vehicle, assuming it's a spot where the trailer must stay on the apron (like most places up here).

But ditto on what cwolfman said about "standard" versus "tent" sites.

14. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Pups and Hybrids say their actual length when reserving due to bed slides over tongue, TT's never seem to add the 3' for tongue and MH's don't add the car tow or rack on the back for additional stuff, very frustrating when getting them on site, on the Beach, in Winter! So CG's need to know actual length, with stuff [8D]

15. kcandstinger

kcandstinger New Member

The state parks here in Florida allow small pop ups in tent sites if they will fit. So you have to look at the length of the site and width if you have a slide out.