Pop up totaled by falling tree, need a value for Star insurance company

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Oscarmyers30, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Oscarmyers30

Oscarmyers30 New Member

My 2002 Coleman Tacoma was totaled by a 150 ft tree that uprooted in our yard due to flooding. My insurance company needs me to get an estimate of its value. I know insurance uses NADA for automobile pricing. Can they use that for RV? If not they suggested I get a RV sales company to write me an estimate. Any other suggestions?
    John Myers

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry to here that. It sucks. I havent a clue what to use but nada should be good. Probably not going to give it the value that it ment to you.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You might fair out better with a dealer making the call on repairs, they have the latest info and know the prices needed for repairs. (my opinion) Good luck

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

You can check the value on NADA, but it's probably going to hurt your feelings. We had someone hit and total our van a few years ago. The insurance company offered the BS NADA price, but after getting comps (price on comparable vehicles) available within 150 miles and starting a small claims action they gave me what it cost to replace it. Go to sites that sell used campers (RV Trader) and print out what you can find, closer to what you have the better. Check with local dealers and see if they will come out and give you a value (probably going to be a charge if they do).

If they will let you keep it or buy it back cheap I would, never know if you'll need something from it for the replacement camper. I bought back our van for $150. It had four new tires, new battery, new head liner, new radiator, and engine just replaced with a 100k used engine. I spent less than $300 at the local U-pull-it and got everything to fix it except the big dent in the door (parts were even the same color). My granddaughter has been driving it for nearly two years now.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

NADA is generally $1,000 to $1,500 low in my area. If you use the NADA value, add $1,500 to the value.

The insurance company is not there to "protect" you. They exist to make a profit. Do NOT settle for their first offer. If you can't play their game better than them, then you will lose.

A few things to do:

If you bought it recently, produce the receipt if you have one.
    Look on craigslist for the same pup to get prices. Search a wide range of distance for a lot of prices. Try to get at least five prices.
    See what the insurance company will offer, then double it.
    Be prepared to back up your price.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

i would add $2000 to the NADA as a starting place.

9. Oscarmyers30

Oscarmyers30 New Member

10. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

If you live in an area where RV prices tend to be higher because of a lack of availability, be sure to include comps from your area. My son's classic car was totalled by a drunk driver and there was not one to be found in our small area. Insurance only wanted to pay what they could find 1,000 miles away. I told them pay my local estimate or pay to have son flown out and back to inspect replacement and then shipping of the car. They paid my estimate which was still slightly higher.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First of all, I’m am so sorry to hear what happened. For me NADA is about $1500 to $2000 too low for my area so I agree about trying to find similar units being sold in your area and get multiple quotes and use that as your reference . In my experience insurance short changes you badly. My brothers 2000 Civic was stolen on his military base (scary thought) and never found. Insurance gave him pennies compared to what he should have gotten. He didn’t even get enough to put a down payment on another car. I wasn’t included in all the in/outs of it but he essentially got screwed. I ended up gifting my brother my second car until he saved up for another car. (My second car was older than his, but still got you around).