pop up trailer with storage box or not worth the trouble

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jmkay1, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm on the market for a new pop up. I'm loving the styles of trailers with storage boxes. However all the used trailers I've found so far all mention leaks in the storage box. I'm beginning to think it just isn't worth the trouble getting a trailer with a storage box even though I love the idea. I don't have the place or knowledge to do repairs such as these. I can do the general maintenance and caulking but leaks are the deal breaker for me. I'm still in the research phase of my search and starting to get discouraged all ready.

2. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

We love the up front storage box, It may leak in the future, it may not, but for us a family of five it give us extra space for clothes and duffle bags. I understand that it you keep the seal and caulking up to date it won't be an issue.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yes, they're a pain and yes they're prone to leaks but I wouldn't want to be without one, we store a lot of stuff in ours and it sure is handy.

I don't know what your budget is but if you're looking for an older used camper without any leaks, you'll have to look pretty hard, prices will be markedly higher and competition will be fierce.

Perhaps look at something newer with the detached plastic storage compartment. It's possible that those might leak too but they'll never rot and won't allow damage to migrate into the camper.

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Never had a drop of water get into mine, even towing in driving rain, as we did quite a bit last year.

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

We have a Fleetwood with the molded plastic box. I wouldn't buy anything else! We LOVE it. It's bone dry and totally detatched from the p'up, so no water intrusion if it ever springs a leak. It even has drain plugs in the bottom, but I've never taken them out. Hold out for a storage box; you'll be glad you did [;)]

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you are not handy, pass on built in storage boxes ..... most of them the older they get .... the more prone too leak.

7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Having had one with and one without, I wouldn't have one without again.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We had one on our Palomino 6147 that we bought used, had the pup for four years and never had a drop of water get into it from a leak.. I found it invaluable as far as the added storage, we kept 70% of our set up equipment and outside accessories.... Don't think I would want a pup without a front storage box...

9. GMD

GMD Member

Love our storage box in the front. Tools and set up equipment is all in one place. My lid was shot when I purchased the pup. I replaced it with a diamond plate cover and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Our Aframe has front mounted storage box that is separate from the cabin. I like that idea- if water gets in the box, or something in the box leaks- a gallon of Coleman juice comes to mind- it eon't get into the main canin. It's a big rotary molded plastic thing, with two hatches instead of one side to side top lid. When buying a folding canopy we tested whether it could be loaded in the box before leaving the Home Depot parking lot.

At some point I want to put a baggage door in the side of the box and load the canopy there.

One caution- I found it is easy to put so many wonderful things in the box that sits out on the tongue ahead of the axle that tongue weight got too heavy! Thisk some about what you put where.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Can't live without it. Helps keep camper from swaying... with stuff in the storage cargo.

12. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

+1 on having one.

We keep all the "dirty" stuff in it, chairs, bbq, wheel chocks, leveling wood blocks, tool box, camp grill, tiki torches, etc. Anything that might have dirt or grease. For us is a great way to keep the inside of the trailer immaculate.
    In addition, besides the chairs, everything else stays in there and we pull it out as required through the side door.

13. tx.glamazon

tx.glamazon New Member

We picked our Bayside for exactly that option... a place to carry all the cra..things that we like to have... awning rug, tiki torches cutsie signage... and the icky gear... water and wastewater hoses, jack, tools... and safety stuff....

I learned that the max weight of cra... things that can go in a front storage box is 150 lbs... so much of our ... things still have to go in the excursion, but at least now it stays somewhat cleaner.

Oh and when we opened ours up for the first time.. it showed zero signs of wetness getting anywhere inside... and to be doubly sure everything is protected would the unexpected occur, we dropped two grey Rubbermaid totes inside the trunk and lidded them with most of our gear inside them.

14. BigGrover

BigGrover New Member

OK, all you folks who responded liking the storage box, if you had to choose between a 10' camper with a storage box or a 12' without what would you do??? I am pricing some new Forest River PUPS and the 10' with storage is the same price as a 12 without

15. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I will also chime in that I loved my previous pop up with the sliding storage box. It was wonderful.

When Rockwood redesigned the Highwall series they took the sliding storage area out and created a 14' box which was all living space. I opted for the 16' box so I could place rubbermaid storage bins inside for all my dirty stuff. This way I can put wet things in there and it will not drip on the floor and wreck the pop up. It is an acceptable compromise for me to have a highwall. My dream would be for Rockwood to bring back the sliding storage box to the HW line.

Vin.

16. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We went from a 10' box to a 12' with a storage (and a slideout). I would probably opt for the 10' with a box versus a 12' without. There are just a lot of things that can be put in the storage that would be in the way without it. The less things that I have to move seats around to get out, the better. we keep charcoal, tarps, tools and extension cords all in our storage. I really don't want any of those in the camper itself. That being said, I would look for a 12' with a box if you can find it. We found it to be a nice compromise on size versus storage and it will still fit in a standard size garage.

17. GMD

GMD Member

My opinion I would go with the 10' with the storage. bburg stated it very well. Having pretty much everything in one location makes the check list go faster. Good luck with your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. stlouielady

stlouielady Member

I have a 2004 Coleman/Fleetwood, whatever it is (transition years - lol). Older models have the storage box accessible from inside the trailer, mine does not; it is totally separated from the trailer and can only be accessed from the top and from one side door. Mine does not leak a drop, and it has been through some tremendous rains and several wash jobs. My previous camper had no storage box on the front, and I honestly wouldn't have a camper without outside storage again. As previous posters have mentioned, all the outside stuff, with the exception of my chairs, go into the box. If something is dirty or muddy, it goes in the box for easy removal and cleaning when I get back home.
    If the trailer you're looking at has a storage box accessible from inside, I'd think that it would be more suspect to leaks than one inaccesible. Doesn't mean that it will leak, just might be more likely. I'd look at the age of the trailers involved, and check them over for any noticable signs of leaks. You're the only one that can determine whether or not its worth the trouble. Since mine is no trouble, it's definitely worth it to me.

19. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

I have a detached box on my 07 Utah, separate from the camper and not built in works great for me

20. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

I have a 1996 Viking Legend 2060 ST, and the trunk has never leaked for me, and there is no evidence of it ever having leaked. I am currently in the market for a NTU pup, and I am not even considering those that don't have a trunk. I store such an amazing amount of stuff in there! I can't imagine not having it!