pop up trailer with storage box or not worth the trouble

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jmkay1, Sep 18, 2014.

1. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

I saw vagov was selling his, depending if you want to travel to PA, im sure he will give you a deal he has a o1 with a trunk I know for sure

2. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

My NTU 98' Coleman Sun Ridge has an attached box. Discovered today it has water damage in the storage compartment. I figured out how the water got in and how to fix it, so tomorrow I'm going to skin it and see to what extent the damage is. Shouldn't be a difficult fix, time consuming. I would buy one with the trunk again.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

My 1999 Jayco heritage leaked when it was new. I found out after washing it. I adjusted the door catches so they pull in tight. Has never leaked again.

4. trudger

trudger Trudging the road of happy destiny.

We have a popup without a storage box...it has moved up on my list of priorities should we decide to upgrade in the future. I say it every time we go camping....I wish we had a storage box. It makes getting out so much easier since it can stay stocked with stuff. Didn't think about the leakage issue, but would still go for it.

5. General Beluga

General Beluga Member

We bought a pre-owned 2009 Fleetwood Utah four years ago and it has a separate cargo box bolted to the frame in front of the trailer box. It is made out of a high density polyethylene or polypropylene material. I just inspected it a few weeks ago and was happy to see that there were no signs of wear or cracking due to UV rays or road vibration. The top makes a water tight seal and everything in the box remains dry even after a high pressure washing! Because it is a separate box, even if it does develop a leak in the future, it will not enter into pup's living area. At best, any leak will simple drain out onto the ground. I use the storage box for my trailer related camping gear (jack, risers, hitch accessories, hook-up water hoses and spare tool box and many other related accessories), so getting them wet is no big deal. Most Pop-up trailers don't have much storage space in the trailer itself once the top in down, so, in my opinion, having an external storage box is not an option but, a requirement when choosing which features to have! Perhaps, if you are pulling it with a pick-up truck, you could forgo the external box and use the bed of your truck. However, many who tow a pop-up do so with a mid-sized SUV and want to keep the SUV interior for passengers, foods stuffs and clothing gear.

6. tanyaewa

tanyaewa New Member

@rothfamily my hubby did that repair to our 1997 Yukon. Pretty easy (except the bunk end stops getting put back on)

I wold absolutely prefer a 10 with storage. LOVE it.

7. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

We have a 2002 Viking 2465st. We bought it when it was 6 years old and after a couple years, we noticed water in the corner of the floor of the box. When we pulled up the tile the floor was rotted in one corner. We ended up having to replace the floor in the whole box. After close inspection, we noticed there were several cracks in the lid of the box and that is how the water got in. We looked in the forums on here to find out how to fix it and even though the fix is really ugly on the inside of the lid, we have not had any leaks since then. I would still purchase one with a front storage box. It is invaluable for storing all our outdoor things such as the rug, grill, chairs, tool box and all the things we need to get set up.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Those front boxes are also great for loading a couple large bags of dog food and other groceries into once the box of the truck is packed full when your heading back across the Border ... [:D] [;)]

9. MJinCP

MJinCP New Member

While shopping for a used pup, I was neutral about the front storage. If I liked the trailer and it had one, fine. If it did not, that would be ok too. We ended up buying a 1997 Rockwood that has the front storage. No leaks. Trailer was not stored inside and did not have exceptional maintenance. Now that we have the storage, we love it, and will be a feature on all trailers we buy in the future. We're just careful to put bulky, but not heavy items up front - don't want to add too much to tongue weight.

10. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

No such thing as not enough storage [:D]

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I think I am uniquely qualified to answer this one. [8D]

I have a 2002 Forest River 725D. It has the front storage and the floor did rot out on the corners. I believe it was due to something hitting it over the winter while in storage but it is hard to tell.

Anyway. I wondered about doing the repairs myself and looked into having it done. I didn't like the price so I did it with the help of a friend.

It was much easier than I expected. For a couple of amateurs we did a nice job on it and it is better built now than the original. Don't be intimidated.

As for the storage, I keep the bal single tire leveler in it, my hoses, mats, gray water bucket, citronella stakes, some firelogs, charcoal (when not using a log), pie irons, safety bars for the lifters, cranks, a shovel, exterior cleaning products, and other things. If I didn't store these things there I would need a place to store them somewhere.

As long as I own a PUP I will have a storage box. Can't imagine without one.

12. brinklee

brinklee New Member

Hi I have a LITTLE Dutchman Duck. What I did was to have a reciever type hitch installed on the rear bumper and into the frame I then use one of those carriers that go into a receiver. I can then take it with me if I need extra storage. Of course you have to remove it to put the support bars on the bunk or modify the rack. I would also recommend an aluminum rack

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You would actually give up two feet of camper space just so you don't have to move a cushion and a board to get an extension cord. I can't understand why people complain about storage. I have a family of five and we have more than enough storage space. I have storage space that I don't even use. When we go camping I pack everything in the camper. I don't put a single thing in the tow vehicle and my wife packs way to many clothes.

14. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

We use ours to store the BAL, tool box, boards, charcol, fishing gear, water hoses, and a lot of other things. Very convenient. Even rigged up a way to mount the crank handle on the door so I dont forget it!

Glad it is there.

15. cdeleeuw12

cdeleeuw12 New Member

We have a storage box in our 95 Viking 2060ST. It's helpful but ours had leaked for long before we got the camper. We rebuilt the trunk completely. We like it, but I think that we could live without it due to not really being able to access it when the camper is open. We'd probably like to have the extra living space instead of the trunk.

16. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

We have a 12' box with a storage trunk and I can't imagine where all that stuff would go if we didn't have it! We keep all our mechanicals in there, hoses, cords, fire sticks, chocks, etc. We access ours from the side door. Also have a access point inside, under the bunks, but it's not really usable. I think the trunk is essential!

17. bardenl

bardenl New Member

Our first popup a 1995 Coleman Royale did not have a box, our second a 2003 Fleetwood Laramie did and our NTU 2004 Fleetwood Carmel does not. We loved having the box, but parked outside in our rainy climate under trees with no cover, it leaked. Leaves would pile up against the back hinge and water would seep in. It also got a crack or two. The 2004 and later had separate boxes, but we couldn't find one (missed out on a 2005 Fleetwood Resolute). Had to get rid of our 2003 Laramie because of gradual leaking into the layers under the aluminum roof apparently around the A/C. Paid to have it fixed twice, and it just got worse. Really felt bad because were so careful to avoid the plastic roofs. The Carmel has a fiberglass roof, looks good so far.

18. PJ popUP

PJ popUP New Member

I came from a 7-1/2' box and moved up to a 10' foot box plus front storage. I Love the front storage, I store all the stuff that needs to be thrown out before the the bed end gets pulled out. Chalks, chairs, firewood, tools, hoses, tarps and ect. But I miss the shorter, lighter and more agile rig, but.... i really like the storage, running hot water, potty, outside shower and 3 bunner stove. But I don't fit in the smaller campsites that I used to. FYI no leaks in the storage box yet, considering the poor quality of my new rig I'm sure it'll be no time.

19. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

We love our box. Can get to stuff stored in camper when it is folded up...

Like many, our lid cracked and ruined the floor before we bought it. I did the diamond plate aluminum lid and rebuilt the front area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rot floor...not awesome...

[​IMG]
    I rebuilt the front box. Now it is awesome again!

FL Bill

20. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

My camper doesn't have a front storage box but I did get the 2280BH so it was the bike hauler up front. This will be nice to put storage totes on, our coolers, and firewood. Also Bikes too. Plus I have a truck that I can store stuff in too so I'm hoping when we have kids we have enough room for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk