Pop Up With No Bed Slides

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jwh92020, Oct 12, 2016.

1. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

It's been a while since I've been on here as I've been building a tiny house type trailer, but now I've got a question. I've seen pop ups that are basically 1 "room", with no slide out beds. I believe Coleman made one as did Apache. I'd like to find some info on them. I'm being given an older pop up (not sure of the make) and the owner said the canvas and beds are shot. My initial plan is to turn it into "road warrior" type trailer to be used for one night stops while traveling cross country. I thought tear drop, but the wife wants to be able to stand up. It won't be much more than "beds in a box", but it could be a fun project. Any info will be appreciated.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

3. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Palomino made one of these a couple years ago. The roof raised up exposing traditional tent sides and windows, but there were no beds or slide outs. It was a sofa, some appliances, and a U-dinette that converted to the bed.

I considered buying one. I liked the idea a lot - sort of a hybrid expandable PUP / TT / Hi-Lo. Never looked at it in person. I could tell from the floorplan and pictures it just wasn't enough sleeping space for us (two adults and two kids). I don't know if they still make any models like it. It was a great idea for certain families and applications. I think that camper is exactly what you're trying to do.

Google "palomino basecamp 14ulc" to get a little more info.

4. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

Thanks for the help. The Palomino is more like what I was thinking of. If the roof and lift mechanism are in decent shape, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a plan to have canvas sides and ends made. I thought about foldable hard sides, but I'm not sure about how to construct them.

5. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Looked at these at the RV show a couple years ago. Sort of competition for A-frames (minus hard sides) for ease of assembly. Great for maybe 1-2 folks. Liked the idea of not messing with huge bed slides and shepard's poles.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yep, Apache made one. I saw one this weekend.

7. travisma

travisma New Member

Coleman had one with a slide out on 1 end and 3 straight walls.

It looked the small 8 foot Columbia box with just the one bed end.

8. idler

idler Member

The hard-sides that are like a pop-up but also like an A-frame in the way it is set up LOOKS GOOD. I would have wanted one of those if I knew they existed. Thanks for starting this topic.

9. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

In the media section, check under the Fleetwood brochures for the TACOMA. I believe it is the model year 2008. I think this is what you're looking for.

10. jwh92020

jwh92020 Member

WannaTravel - thanks for pointing me in the Tacoma direction. I looks like the one I saw, but if I remember correctly, the one I saw had soft sides. There is an update to this thread - I got a good look at the camper and the only thing salvageable is the frame. It has been stored in the guy's "back 80" (twice as far from anything as the back 40). Roof collapsed, water got in and everything is rotted. The skin on the box has curled and peeled away. I have to rethink the project. I just finished a build of a hard side, not sure if I want to do another big trailer right now. Here is a link to that build: http://s26.photobucket.com/user/jwh92020/library/Tiny%20Trailer?sort=2&page=1

11. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

If the frame is the only thing salvageable, I'd leave it alone if it were me.

The Fleetwood Tacoma loos like a highwall without slides. I didn't find a layout diagram

The Palomino is a really nice looking unit; looks like it was setup for high clearance with off-road in mind. Way cool. :)