Pop up won't go up! Help please!

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by L21638, May 31, 2017.

1. L21638

L21638 New Member

We recently purchased a 2009 Jayco Jay Series. Had our first trip this past weekend, and even though we had a few problems (kinked gray water hose anyone?), we were feeling pretty good about the trip.
    Then we got home and attempted to pop up in order to empty out the last few things inside, and it's stuck!
    Forgive my terms, I'm new here.
    When we put the crank handle in, it spins freely (both ways) for a couple turns, then, in the lift direction, it gets stuck and won't turn any more. The gears just barely shift for that last little bit of turning before its stuck.
    We did not hear any sort of noise when cranking it down at the site, but the last few inches were tougher than they have been in the past.
    We have no idea what to do now- there's nothing covered in the manual or that we've found online, and it seems like more of a gear or crank problem than a broken cable problem (maybe?). We don't know how to access the gears. There is a panel underneath the gears/winch, but the bolts are all rusted and we haven't gotten in it so far. Is that where we need to look?
    All the repair places are booked through the next few weeks, and we fear a very expensive repair. One place advised us to spray some lubricant in to see if it helped, but it didn't.
    Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking it's either the crank system that might have gotten unscrewed. Or one of the cables jumped the track and wrapped around something it shouldn't have. The symptoms doesn't quite sound like a broken cable. Here is the problem, in order to access the lift you need to get inside the camper and it's cabinets. Although I would first try and get in the crank housing to see if there is anything evident there. My crank became unscrewed once when the kiddo accidently cranked the roof down more than she should. Thankfully I noticed it when everything came out with the crank. My dad did the fix himself so not sure how he did it.

3. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I have a 1985 Jayco and the entire lift system including the winch is located inside the camper. Requires taking some of the interior panels off and looking in cabinets. I'm going to make a guess that your cables were allowed to be too loose at some point and became tangled and may be damaged at this point. I don't know where you are located, but in San Antonio it is impossible to get anyone to repair a lift system on an old camper. A dealer will work on one they have sold but otherwise out of luck. I snapped a cable when I failed to unlock one of the corner latches. I was scared at first, but found that it was easy to work on. I was thankful it was a Jayco and I could work in the cabin. At my age getting down on the ground and crawling under a camper is out of the question. Do some online research and you will find information about the system and how to repair. Pretty sure there was a lot of info on popupportal.com and youtube.

4. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

The above answers are good . If the pup is down too low to enter it will take a few bodies to lift it up providing it will go up enough to get inside and then propped up with 2x4's in order remove the panels to inspect the cables and such. You can find out what needs to be removed here on this forum ,I'm sure . Wish you well .

5. Finally Off The Ground

Finally Off The Ground New Member

6. Finally Off The Ground

Finally Off The Ground New Member

Hi there. It's been a couple of years but I'm wondering how you resolved this issue. I've had a similar problem and its really frustrating trying to fix it. Thanks

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The OP hasn't been on in over two years. Someone may be able to help you, but posting what you have would be a big help. Putting your equipment in your signature allows everyone to see what you have every time you post a question.