Pop ups and Dorm rooms have a lot in common!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by TeeTaylor, Aug 21, 2016.

1. TeeTaylor

TeeTaylor New Member

Stopped at a few stores this weekend to discover so many wonderful items for the new (2 me) PUP. Back to college aisles are a treasure trove of compact, light, cheap home goods!!!!!

All those plastic drawer sets are on sale too. If you need a dorm fridge, now is the time.

I found a collapsible dish dryer, an over the door organizer, a fitted sheet with pockets and loads of plastic dishes and kitchen goodies !

Just what I needed, an excuse to by stuff for the PUP!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Pix? Details?

I found a nifty over dorm fridge organizer at Target. Since I have a 2nd fridge on the counter opposite the galley I can use it for extra storage. Also found a similar item that was designed to strap around a bed frame and provide for hanging storage. Looks like it might work to hang from my dinette instead.

Target has a cartwheel coupon right now for 20% off the Room Essentials 3 drawer wide cart, which is very similar to the Sterlite one I currently have.

3. TeeTaylor

TeeTaylor New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the 3 drawer cart. I was looking at those but came home to measure. I will head back today and get one with 20% off. I will post pix of my finds when o get them unpacked and installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. travisma

travisma New Member

Another good place for smaller items is Dollar Tree if you have one nearby.

Kitchen gadgets that you don't care if they get ruined. Cookie sheets and sometimes they have the ones with holes in them. Perfect to toss on a grill and cook, I use them in my home smoker.

Flashlights, solar lights, strings of battery powered LED's (I use the string wrapped around the bed pole as a night light for the granddaughters), light up wristbands for keeping track of kids at night.

Smaller bottles of cleaning supplies, paper plates, aluminum pans,(cook the meal ahead of time freeze, then reheat).

Between Dollar Tree and Goodwill, we hardly spend any money camping.

5. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I fail to understand the fascination to buy new, cheap stuff for camper or dorm. For the same money, at the stores that sell used you can buy higher quality stuff, and maybe not be just like the room next door.

6. TeeTaylor

TeeTaylor New Member

For me it was more the size and selection that caught my attention.

I am looking for specific colors and styles so used can be tough. And the petite scale of the items designed for smaller living spaces is great!

The prices are lower but I am not convinced they are lower quality. There are a lot of loss leaders on items I have been looking for, so to me, that is just saving money. I am pretty sure the plastic tubs are the same all year, just cheaper now. I never see them used.

I love the selection of organizers right now. Since my trailer is new to me we are looking for a lot of things and the price, selection and size was perfect.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have picked up some stuff from the Dollar store as well. Also, Home Goods and TJ Max when things go on special. That's how we got a non-stick 2 qrt pot and sauce pan with lids. You just have to keep an eye out for things.

8. TeeTaylor

TeeTaylor New Member

LOVE Dollar store! They had little solar lamps last time I was there. They are so perfect.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Also, the Christmas Tree Shop. Good deals there as well. We pickup marshmallow sticks there, a pack of 10 for a dollar!!

10. upstate family

upstate family Member

Thanks for the heads-up these were on our to buy list. I had to call a local Target to have them put a few aside for me because they are selling out around here. Lots of Universities in the area. Anyway I got 4 and with the sale price + cartwheel they were less then $13 each! We are going to use those for our clothing. It will keep everything much better organized then the duffle bags we tried to use last trip. That was a mess and made it hard to find stuff.
    I love the Christmas Tree Shop too, Silvermickey2002!

11. MrsGregg

MrsGregg New Member

I usually wait until the "back to college" section goes on clearance. I have picked up quite a few things for over half off for our camper!

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I love thrift stores, and frequent them often. It's just not possible to always find what you want, when you want it. I also love Dollar Tree and clearance just about anywhere. [:D]

Nothing new and shiny required in my camper, or even in my house, for that matter. [LOL] I have several baking pans, and other kitchen items, that I've been using well over 20 years and were purchased at thrift stores.

I just like to SHOP and get DEALS! I am not picky about where they come from, so long as everything is washable and able to be sanitized.

13. desertwilde67

desertwilde67 Member

I got my favorite cast iron from good will. I love the thrift stores.....often, it's a matter of timing but no problem. As long as whatever it is can be properly cleaned, I'm good with it [emoji41]

Happily camping with my
    2007 Jayco 1006
    2012 Nissan Frontier