Pop ups are hot right now!

scwalk

Mar 23, 2015
Hi all - haven’t post much lately - and haven’t used my popup for well over a year so decided to sell - 1997 Dutchmen 1204 with Cassette toilet shower combo and older Coleman AC on the roof. Camper was in great shape except for - you guessed it - the roof - with ABS pebble look roof. I replaced side panels and the front panel, coated it with rubberized roof coating and installed new Luan ceiling panels- painted enamel white. Works great now! New tires, and everything works and maintenance has been done. Long story short - put it up for sale for $4000 - had about 60 people text me the first 12 hours - 1st person that showed up bought it. It’s been 4 days now and I’m STILL getting texts wanting to know if it’s really sold, or wanting to be put on a waiting list if it doesn’t work out, etc. imIt seems that since it has the self contained cassette toilet it is VERY popular since you don’t have to use public restrooms for anything. I’m sure the roof didn’t hurt either, but the first thing they asked about was the toilet/shower. Didn’t argue with the price at ALL. Just thought I’d pass this info along so if anyone is thinking about selling and wondered if now is a good time to sell - IT IS!!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Oh yeah this is the time to sell for sure. Even without the pandemic, but I think that’s helping right now in all RV sales, both new and used. As a seller you can also get more money than if you were to sell in the fall and winter. Glad you managed to sell your popup so quick but sorry you had to sell in the first place.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
indeed - Have seen some news stories about the uptick in RV sales due to the pandemic and wanting to travel with your own facilities. Some of my co-workers have mentioned that i am so lucky to have a camper and that it is definitely the way to go right now.

scwalk

Mar 23, 2015
Oh yeah this is the time to sell for sure. Even without the pandemic, but I think that’s helping right now in all RV sales, both new and used. As a seller you can also get more money than if you were to sell in the fall and winter. Glad you managed to sell your popup so quick but sorry you had to sell in the first place.
Yeah, and I had just installed an older Coleman 13000 btu on it the week before - what a difference - kinda wish now I hadn’t sold it - but I have a smaller molded fiberglass camper and the setup and maintenance on it are almost non- existent- hard for me to deal with the large popup anymore - getting old I guess- and it’s just me and hubs now. But I still look...

scwalk

Mar 23, 2015
indeed - Have seen some news stories about the uptick in RV sales due to the pandemic and wanting to travel with your own facilities. Some of my co-workers have mentioned that i am so lucky to have a camper and that it is definitely the way to go right now.

scwalk

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah, first thing the wife ask to see was the toilet area - and I must admit that was the main reason - beside the huge space- that WE bought it. LOVE the cassette toilet/shower combos!

Tara Levine

May 16, 2020
Sartell, MN
I got my camper back from my ex after 9 years and it was totally water damaged. The entire thing need to be stripped down and redone. I put it up for sale late at night and had over 40 message by morning, it was sold in less then 12 hours. Definitely a sellers market.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA

In a year or earlier you're probably going to see a huge glut of slightly used of every type. Barring some huge Virus recurrence event, just wait until these new first time buyers realize their is some work and maintenance involved, let alone the availability of campsites and the seasonal nature of it all in colder states. It's not exactly cheap. You do not just back in, and in 3 minutes have your feet up enjoying a cold one, not even with a high end class A let alone a popup. I have a coworker who used to blast me all the time for going to a state park for two weeks with the trailer and commuting back and forth to work from there. Why would anyone want to stay in a place like that with minimal amenities? All of a sudden he is looking into renting an RV for his annual family vacation. It sure seems like a great idea now to him.

The RV Industry association does not know how to send out press that reflects dropping sales, everything is always positive. I think 6 months from now, when everything shakes out, the RV Industry will be in a record slump. You can not take out the income of 30 million, or 50 million people, what is the number?, and have good sales numbers on non essential high ticket recreational items. As Steve McCroskey said in Airplane, I think the $**t is going to hit the fan.

A lot of these virus edicts are going by the wayside quick. I was at a Walmart yesterday in a reopened PA County that just went to what they call green phase Friday. Despite masks still being required at least half of the customers had none including some employees, and a lot that did have them had them down around their chin. Social distancing was not seen. No one was enforcing any of it. Short of a major recurrence its just a matter of time where most folks go back to their flights to Vegas, beach resorts, hotels, cruises, Disneyland, etc.

CampingFamily1

Super Active Member
May 12, 2007
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
The whole RV industry is exploding in growth. Google "Covid RV" together to see all the news articles.
People want to buy a "Covid Camper" that is clean, sanitized, with no worries of airplanes, hotels, etc and be free from restrictions.
I was just at a dealer last week. They have been selling 6 campers per day on average for the past few weeks.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
The whole RV industry is exploding in growth.

I am not disputing any of it but any of the articles have something to this effect.

"One in four Americans intend to take a trip in a recreational vehicle in the next 12 months and will consider renting or buying, according to a survey from market research firm Ipsos in conjunction with the RV Industry Association."

Intending and doing are two different things. I make my reservations 11 months out at PA state parks. These folks will realize quickly that it's not a plug and play vacation any way you look at it. One of the over and over topics on any of the RV forums such as IRV2 etc is how hard it is to book and get campsites, at least the prime ones. At Federal, State, and other public campgrounds they'll find out the limited nature of full hook up sites which you had better be reserving in advance if holidays or weekends are concerned. Wait until they go to a private RV park and come to find they have to pull their clean sanitized Covid camper so close to the next person you do not have enough room to run out the awning and the neighbors open window is about 8' from the picnic table. It should make great entertainment if you have a site withing viewing distance of the dump station.

The economic ramifications of Covid shutdowns and unemployment whose numbers have not been seen since the 1930's are going to factor in huge eventually. Next winter should be a prime time to buy a slightly used RV.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I saw a lot of new rvs and TT this weekend. So , people are buying them. Its hard to get sites you want. Yes. So for some thats the cheap ones. Plently of the super premium sites around. People that never had campers dont care where they go, they just want to not be inside anymore.

A-Ranger12

Feb 25, 2020
Western NY
Glad we scooped ours over the winter before COVID-19 was nothing more than some virus hitting places far away. We've had lots of folks ask how we like it. Probably could flip it for a bit more than we paid if we were so inclined.

NY opened up 2020 state park reservations again at 9 AM this morning. I snagged some sites I'd checked out on Google Maps beforehand. Not sure how many sites are left. Not being locked into hookups or 30 foot minimum sites sure opened up more options.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
I saw a lot of new rvs and TT this weekend. So , people are buying them. Its hard to get sites you want. Yes. So for some thats the cheap ones. Plently of the super premium sites around. People that never had campers dont care where they go, they just want to not be inside anymore.

That will change. Its a temporary gut reaction.

Prior to Covid, RV sales were down something like 17% year over year and projected to keep dropping. They were down close to 20% 19 to 18. Now you have 50 million who are/were unemployed and we're officially in a recession. In the Pittsburgh region alone which is not all that large 200,000 jobs were lost. Its gonna get ugly. A lot of folks are not going to be thinking of vacations let alone buying RV's once these uncertain trying financial times of the new normal that we're all in together sinks in. (Sorry Snow, I know how much you hate those terms, had to do it lol)

I predict you'll see the RV Industry in a huge industry slump by August. The RVIA is painting an always optimistic picture as they always do, but if you read some of the stuff in business sections of northern Indiana newspapers or websites they see the writing on the wall.

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I agree with OG. Rv sales are a temporary increase, when covid hit and everyone’s vacation plans went to S##t. People panicked and went out to buy RV,s Figured it was the safer then a unsanitized. Hotel room . To savage any summer at a time of uncertainty if this will ever pass . We are in a recession. And will be for quite some time . Even though I remained working this whole time, my work has basically been cut in half, along with my paycheck. With no clear sight to return back to the old ways, If ever. working in hospitial transportation, even though this new ere of technology lets us have virtual doctors appointments, these Doctors are loving it, coming in for well visits are in the past, good for the DOC, but bad for me! Works been trying to cut jobs for some time now, this pandemic just makes it easier for them, as they are finding new ways to do buisiness. Even though I just bought a new to me camper last summer, I am now glad it’s just used, a smaller payment than new, or at least less payments to be strapped to .

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Who knows what the future will hold. The market is back up a bit, so there is that. A lot of unemployed workers made 600 bucks extra per week. So , with unemployment, if i remember the numbers, if you made like 77k a year , and got layed off you were whole. This will not last. A lot of places will close. I get that. But for now people seem to be spending. As for the docters, over here they hate the tele med stuff. Pays less. ( at least thats what ive been told). Even if the camper thing dosen't catch on, i think it will be up for a year or two. I also think local places motels and such will see a boom. But who knows. Cruise lines have seen an uptick in sales for when they reopen and people said they would never survive.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Who knows what the future will hold. The market is back up a bit, so there is that. A lot of unemployed workers made 600 bucks extra per week. So , with unemployment, if i remember the numbers, if you made like 77k a year , and got layed off you were whole.

It's nowhere near $77K here in PA. Max UIC Insurance is $572.00 per week. Add the fed $600.00 for $1172.00. I know the the state payout is state income tax exempt, but believe the fed $600.00 is not, so its more or less a close to actual comparision to gross wages. $1172 X 52= $60,944.00. And if you're one of the many who filed a claim 12 weeks ago and have yet to receive the first payment nothing is being spent and when you do receive it you'll most likely be spending it on all the bills that went unpaid for 3 months and not on a popup or a vacation.

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm not so sure

People who stayed local for their time off were always likely a minority. If even 5% of them decide to start camping instead of taking a flight somewhere and hoteling it... well, that could mean a real uptick in the number of campers

Plus, some people will try camping because its the only kid friendly option for this summer, and may fall in love with it

Where I'm seeing the biggest uptick in all types of self-contained campers isn't people going camping, its people who have to work but who live with high risk people. Lots of neighbours living in camp driveway to not kill their loved ones