Pop ups to pull with Subaru Outback 2.5

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by hiker74, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Jon

Skip most of the un-need information and look for an "10 foot Box" after you
    learn what is an Eight Foot Box and what can be with it.

While you are looking stop at Uhaul to order an Trailer Hitch from them. It is
    the same Vendor Name as any other one that you may see and the Towing
    Data is also the same. No Hitch and you may not pull when you do find that
    Pup Up with an Queen Size bed and all.

While you are there you can discuss The Tow Vehicle To Trailer Electrical Wiring
    and an Trailer Brake Controller. Both of these are going to be needed because
    they keep you out of Court and The Hospital.

2. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

You had your chance to "sell" that it is bad, and now they have their chance to "sell" that it is good. It's all opinions and nothing will change, nor is that the point of this topic.

If I was the OP I would look for something around 1000lbs or less total for the popup so I can load up about 300LB's of gear + 2 adults and 2 kids and come in well under the 2700 limit total.
    I would recommend breaks on the trailer as well.

Make a list of what features you want, then build a list of popups you see in your price range, has the features, and comes in within your weight limit and go from there.

3. CIGARGUY

CIGARGUY New Member

FWIW, we tow a Rockwood 1640LTD with a 2011 Honda CRV. It has a lower tow rating (1500lbs) than the Subaru. We don't have trailer brakes and have never had an issue. The 1640LTD does have a queen on the front end, also.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Not yet. But if you do, you may not be around to report it on this forum.

5. hiker74

hiker74 Member

We had a 2005 CRV which only had a 1000 rating. I knew I would not be hauling anything other than a bike rack once I had the hitch installed [hitch had no lateral bar and had a linear beam with only two bolting points along the same single beam]. Im glad they beefed up the rear end of the CRV in 2007. I think I get it that I may need brakes. What I hear is that they are recommended for anything 2000 lbs and over. Looking at 1400 lb campers you could get over 2000 lbs pretty quick adding simple stuff like bedding, fans, food, cookware, etc. I see you are in Indiana like me. I would say you would be fine in Indiana, but I would add brakes if you go to Great Smoky Mountains NP. We used a simple hitch tongue platform (not even a trailer) with our 2005 CRV with a realtively light load and came back to Indy with warped rear disks and bent calipers.

6. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Very good, important advice. ^^^

I towed my Coleman Yuma in the Colorado Rockies with a Subaru Baja, which is similar to the OP's TV. The brakes on the Subaru were probably better than new, as I'd replaced the front rotors and used more aggressive brake pads. Even with that, I wouldn't have tried towing the Coleman without trailer brakes. It makes a noticable improvement in braking performance, and I used the brake controller to arrest trailer sway a few times.

7. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I'd be surprised if your Subaru is actually pre-wired for a trailer brake controller. Whet you're describing sounds much more like what I found on my Baja - a pre-wired trailer light controller plug. In my case, I used a Hoppy flat-4 light kit connected to the factory plug on the Subaru. That works great for trailer lights, but it's only the starting point for installing a trailer brake controller.

if you're interested, etrailer.com has excellent articles and videos on all sorts of towing topics.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Have you considered an A-liner Classic or a Kamparoo. Both can be augmented with a separate tent for the children.

9. Unstable_Tripod

An Aliner Classic is 1,550 pounds dry for the basic unit.

10. speckhunter80

I know, that is why I suggested it. He has a 2700lb tow rating.

11. Unstable_Tripod

He said in the OP that he wants to be under 1,400 pounds dry and a tongue weight of no more than 160 pounds. He also has to account for trailer weight that is not counted in the dry weight, cargo and TV passengers and cargo.

An Aliner classic with propane and battery added as well as cargo would probably weigh in around 2,000 to 2,200 pounds and that doesn't leave much excess for the TV cargo. It leaves nothing if he wants to come in at about 80% of rating (like many of us want) to have a safety zone.

12. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

Look for something with a 8 foot box.

13. speckhunter80

[RTM] [8D] [A]

14. hiker74

hiker74 Member

If I was just heading down country roads or less travelled state highways I would be ok to haul a 2000 dry weight camper, but we do plan on heading to the Smokys, Rockies or to Acadia possibly. We want to go lightweight to provide more flexibility. I am looking at the Quicksilver 8.1 and the Starflyer 10.0 most of all. Both are "spartan" compared to what other pop ups offer.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We bought our first pup to tow with the '96 Outback, with a standard tranny. It did fine with the '84 Palomino we had, which was under 800#, no brakes. However, that had just one bunk end (smallish double). I hauled it up and over Boulder Mtn. in Utah OK. I was happier towing it with the 4Runner; it was out of commission while we had the '02 Outback, which had multiple problems and I'm not sure towing with that would have been as successful as with the '96 (which we still own, and has a slightly smaller engine than the '02 had).
    The Cobalt we bought last year had brakes, so we had the controller added to the 4Runner (& believe it or not, we got a good deal on that at the RV dealer). While we haven't had any scary happenings with the Cobalt on the road, I have to say I doubt I would pull a trailer again without brakes.

16. hiker74

hiker74 Member

What are your thoughts on the Cobalt or any of the Element line campers by Fleetwood? I really like the spartan design as well as the cool gray colors. Someone needs to wake Fleetwood up and bring these back. It appears they have parted ways with COleman so they need to distinguish themselves again.

17. kitphantom

There is a longish thread (I think in the manufacturer section) about the whole Coleman issue. The new Somerset line is actually a re-emergence of some of the most recent Colemans, seems like they started with the Evolution line.

We like our Cobalt, we bought it a year ago as new-old-stock. While we don't take it truly off-road, it handles the gravel roads just fine. We have made some mods to make it more "us". We removed the sink, to give us some counter space, as well as space under that area - once the sink, drain system and water jug was gone, we gained the shelf underneath and added space in the storage space below that.
    We like the silver exterior, but are gradually changing the curtains (at least there wasn't that silly valence in it) and cushion covers to lighter fabrics. While the LED bulbs we changed to are brighter than the original, all those dark surfaces seem to absorb light when we're inside at night. With middle-aged eyes, more light is better when we're reading; if we don't want it that bright, we can just turn one or both ceiling lights off, we keep a small LED lantern in it too.
    Since ours is the smallest of the Evolution line, we have left the table home on the last two trips, which makes things seem less crowded. The small table we used in place of the heavy and awkward one had plenty of space for the two of us to eat, work puzzles, etc.
    We have also changed the original thermostat to a digital one on on cord (so it is not inches off the floor), added a 12v socket (mostly to use a meter to monitor the battery), changed the outside door handle, added a second LP tank and auto-changeover (though we have yet to empty the first tank, it gives us assurance we won't run out of fuel on a cold night), added an awning, and bought solar panels.
    When we have the front wheel/tongue jack replaced next week, we're going to see if there is a bit heavier duty one - we know they are not designed to withstand the other day's SPUT (the chock slipped and it rolled down the driveway, across the street and up on to the sidewalk), but we've thought a better one would be a good idea.
    I've posted pics in the mods sections and other places as we've gone along, but here is my Flickr photostream if you want to see what we've done (note, the doughnut chock was not a great idea, at least in our driveway!):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitphantom/

18. Unstable_Tripod

Fleetwood no longer has anything to do with Coleman or PUPs. They sold the line. The company that bought it it then closed the factory, fired the employees and sold off the assets. The Coleman and Fleetwood name on PUPs is gone. However, Columbia Northwest, the company that makes Aliner, bought the patents and legal rights. They now make a line of PUPs called Somerset that is pretty nearly identical to the Colemans.

19. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Only issue is they want an arm and a leg for the somersets

20. kitphantom

We could not tow the Cobalt with our 16 year-old Outback, even if we added a brake controller, the weight is above the limit on that model/year.