Pop ups to pull with Subaru Outback 2.5

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by hiker74, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

If price is a concern, I wouldn't bother with shopping for new models when you can save so much on a well maintained, used model.

Lots of used Pups to be had, but you may have to do a lot of digging to find what you're after. If you can wait awhile, it might be easier to find a good deal in the off season. In my case, the camper was reposessed and looked like it hadn't been used much. After a little work, it's actually better than new, for thousands less. Lots of others here have had similar experiences. I think the key is to avoid the "bargains" that result from the past owner's mistakes. Look at some of the horrors in the remodeling threads for a sample of how bad things can get. IMO, it's better to spend more up front for something in good repair than suffering the regret of a fixer upper.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Agree ^^^^.

Used PUP prices usually drop in most parts of the country over the winter.

3. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I agree with buying used. I am checking dealers as well as the factory for demo units as well

4. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

For what it's worth, I've towed with my 2005 2.5i Subaru Outback.
    Our PUP is very small, though.-- 700-something lbs. dry weight.
    It can tow *that* very easily, even loaded up. I was actually surprised at how easily.

I do not have trailer brakes. Stopping distance was definitely longer but not worrisome. In the Subaru manual, it tells you what the highest weight is that you can safely pull without trailer brakes (I think it was something like 1200 or 1500 lbs, but you should check your own manual).

I had to buy a wiring harness but there was a place in the cargo area of the Subaru to attach it so it was very simple and inexpensive.

5. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Re: previous post-- the wiring harness I mentioned is for lights, not brakes.