Popping up on the road

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Yak, Jun 19, 2016.

1. 87ColemanLaramie

87ColemanLaramie Member

I think this is all of our worst nightmare while towing.
    Looks like no one was seriously hurt (besides the trailer) thankfully.

Reminds us all to check everything twice before getting on the road.
    It's usually not the tow vehicle that gets damaged, it's the folks that happen to be unlucky enough to be behind it.

2. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

It was really nice of the guy taking the video and the car in front of him to pull over and check if everyone was alright in the car that lost it's top and the one that hit the top. People today just don't care anymore.

3. GeeC

GeeC New Member

Wow, this is very scary. We just purchased our pop up and the guy we bought it from just put the pins that hold up the Pony in the latches. I even questioned him about it since it didn't seem very secure. I thought I would use a lock of some sort, but after reading this thread I think maybe the D-ring might be a good idea. I'm curious if anyone knows how the padlock type latches were meant to be secured?

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The 1984 Palomino we had was a Shetland, with external lifters. There were pins in the lifter arms when they were up, and those were in the latches when we bought the pup. They were like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/CURT-25080-Coupler-Safety-Pin/dp/B001GN3H5A/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31Y1HNIY%2B4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=A0640YGZ045P1S1JT0HP

We eventually put a pair of locks in the latches on the front end, since those were the ones that kept the roof down. (The way that system worked, the other end was a horizontal piece that slipped into a v-shaped one, that could not be opened unless the other end was released. Ours actually seemed to be reversed from others of the same vintage, with the latches we locked on the front, others had them on the back.)

5. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Didn't think that would be possible either. Isn't the roof also attached to the posts?

6. TRR

TRR Active Member

It -was- attached. But when it lifted enough for the wind to get under it those attachments were history.

7. TT54

TT54 New Member

well, i know what my next purchase will be. [:D]

8. Farva378

Farva378 New Member

I had one come loose on my Viking last time I was towing it somewhere. I figured I'd just start running a zip tie around each of them once the roof is latched.

Definitely cheaper [in the short run] that changing out all the latches to locking ones, unless the popup is appropriately configured.