Pops in the rain

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by lucky13don, Feb 1, 2019.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

I'm thinking of heading out this weekend, but it looks like rain for the next few days. Would I damage my pup if we went and had to wait a day after we got home to air out?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

A day shouldn’t hurt but I personally wouldn’t go much past that to air it out.

Edit - mold can germinate in 12 hours and start to grow in 24 hours.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

A day or three wouldn't be a problem, but if it were mine, I wouldn't want it to sit wet much longer than that.

4. bob414

bob414 Member

Is it better to have the pup open and airing out while raining or predicting rain and closing after a clear day that dries out the camper? Or closed and waiting for the clear day? I know I can not wait forever for a clear day. But how long could a wet PUP be closed, before a problem arises. I know location, and weather make it hard to give an exact time.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I once had to sit a week before I could air out and although it was very musty and needed airing out it wasn't terrible. No damage just wasn't pleasant to be sitting inside. Sure won't press it past that though. Or you would be in for more cleaning than you would want.

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Winter rain in CA is usually accompanied by cool temperatures. That gives you a little more time before things start to grow and get funky (compared to the summer rains that much of the country get while camping).

lucky13don likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

A day or two should be ok. I used to set mine up asap after getting home, better for the unit, rather than closed up wet .

lucky13don likes this.
  8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I would choose to leave it open in the rain and wait for the clear day rather than leave it shut for more than 24 hours and that's not even a close call. Pups were made to withstand rain but not were not made to be put away wet for any length of time.

Last year, another Portal member, @J Starsky, kept his 1984 Starcraft open all summer and said the pup was none worse for the wear, other than needing a good exterior cleaning.

durhamcamper and lucky13don like this.
  9. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I have done similar, was wet when we broke camp. Was forecast rain for a couple days yet after getting home. I set up and just let it get rained on, and then dry once rain stopped.

Realizing that not everyone can do that for various reasons, but Every time I have mine up, I see firsthand what leaving it packed away wet, did to the canvas. Previous Owners packed it away wet, and the green valence bled color all over the top portion of the canvas. Looks bad, not necessarily 'damage', but I have not been able to clean that staining away yet.

I have also put the wet pup in my garage and set up a few fans to speed-dry the canvas. A matter of hours and it was dry enough to pack up. Again, that may not be a solution for everyone, but I have to say I was a little surprised at how quickly the canvas did dry out that way.

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Last camping season in northeast PA had rain practically every weekend. We had rain levels not seen since legendary 1994. Mold attacked cabins, basements, screen rooms, campers, boats, and popup campers.

11. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

Wife backed out for tonight. So I'll try again tomorrow.shes nervous about the high wind warning..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If I have to pack up wet I will open it back up no later than the next morning. We usually have things to get out of the refrigerator and some cleaning to do anyway (two little boys with us).
    With the exception of awnings PUPs can handle a good bit of wind. We endured gust of 30+ mph last spring for over a day.

lucky13don likes this.
  13. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We usually set our pup up when we get home. If it rains, it rains. As soon as it is dry (and I am finished inside) we will pack it back up until our next trip or leave it up for the kids to use in the yard.

14. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Doesn't take much of a blown down branch to damage your canvas when up. I'm with your wife. Big difference between 30 mph gusts and 50 mph gusts, you never know. They don't trim trees right around here.
    I always carry a big beach towel and dry off that vinyl bed end top when halfway popped down. It seems to collect more moisture and debris than the canvas part. Have not had to pop down IN the rain yet, so I have been lucky. Pull out all sheets, bedding of course, except for mattresses. Then you should have a few days leeway to re-open it.

15. bob414

bob414 Member

Thank to everyone for the information, I am doing driveway camping for now, on my NTM pup, while I outfit and familiarize myself with it.

There is an old Saying!
    What comes after 2 days of Rain? MONDAYS!

Bob

lucky13don and BikeNFish like this.
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Yea that's lucky, but it really isn't that bad. The mattresses get a wet spot here and there, but nothing major. A hair drier works great for drying those spots if you're camping with hook ups. I've set up and took down in the rain with the PUP and tent camping. I'd prefer dry weather, but setting up in the rain beats being cooped up in the TV with four other bored people.;)

17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Is was the way it was! I opened to air, and it rained. The kids wanted to stay in it, then it rained. Then I remembered I left it up again, and it rained. I took some pics cause I thought about selling, then it rained. No kidding, I wiped it off when I put it down in Sept. Had to pop up one last time for "final airdry" hehe!

BikeNFish likes this.
  18. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

the cheapy vinyl tablecloths with felt back is what i cover mattress with, so if canvas was wet, wont soak bed.
    even half-up in garage will help it dry out