Popup bed supports

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Rhconcepts, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

This is a copy from my build log. I thought it would be best to post it here as well because not everyone would ever find it in my log.
    E429C7B3-FC6E-4C66-991C-82E0729F6A66_zps2rwdgygc.jpg
    I'm the type that always goes bigger and better when I'm making things. Worried about the beds breaking with my weight I wanted to add support bars. I found bars at homedepot but they are to long and might not hold the weight. So here is what I did.

First remove the rivet holding the foot on and cut the bars to the right size.
    CA64B1D2-51CD-4396-BF0D-B41E1ECE7687_zps1txvlhce.jpg

Drill holes and bolt the foot back on
    1E193B07-FB34-4375-8F97-0B7CFA6580C1_zpsq9gwnztx.jpg

Now they will fit under the bed. To make them hold more weight drill a hole at the top then raise the bar a inch and drill again through the same hole. When you drill a hole add a line on the top bar. When you jack up the bars stop at a line and place a pin or bolt through the hole. With the pin or bolt in, the bar will hold a lot more weight. This last part is not shown in the picture.
    View attachment 30992

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Do these bars go down to the ground or angle over to the bumper and tongue? What keeps them in place while the Pup is moving around from people walking around inside?

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Good idea but It does not look too stable if they go to the ground movement can /will move them enough to fall, a dangerous position to be in if you are laying on the bed. If they are attached to the unit in some way they will be stable and not fall.

4. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Forgot to add this pic. If you close one notch at the end it keeps the bar from pulling apart.
    A64ECE4A-76BB-4673-9E40-6FF3DA12273E_zpsn6utr4qo.jpg

As for keeping them in place you take one or two metal spikes and drive them through the foot into the ground, under the bed im going to try a sheet of velcro. This is not my only support, im thinking it will help relieve some stress from the wall.
    B644A326-16A7-4720-8322-8249003C9EF0_zpsqogdfcyw.jpg

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For awhile I used one of these (not cut down) as a secondary center support for the rear queen bunk on our Palomino... Worked ok, never had it "fall out" overnight but found it din't work on all campgrounds as no two sites have the same height from under the bunk to the ground.. Now use the bar in the back of the truck to help secure the sand bags in the winter ..

6. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

So here I drilled holes like I said above. So if the ratchet part fails the pin will be in place.
    24D5F480-EF1F-47F5-A212-B61954A24FB4_zpsxx6gefgk.jpg

And this is the end that will attach to the bed. I bolted a block on the end and will have the bed and the bar connect using velcro. The bars pivot at each end so that will help when the beds move around.
    05EE2834-19C7-46AA-B85D-563593D0C2C6_zpsdmewunfq.jpg

The only reason I made them shorter is so they would fit under the beds when im on level ground. Actually I went a few inches shorter than needed incase one end is closer to the ground. When I get out camping I will do a update on how well they worked.

7. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Well we tried them out :) first time camping and they worked great. They are only used as a secondary support and I didn't drive the nails into the ground. I jacked them up just a bit to put some tension on them and they never moved. I tried to shift the beds but the bars can pivot on both ends so they never moved. You can see them in the photo at the end of the beds.
    2A1ACF99-43D6-4179-911D-E35A2A2C3C9F_zpsf8xcbwme.jpg

Sharkdude likes this.
  8. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Update: I have been camping a few times and thought I would come back and give a update. The bars don't need the spike in the ground and they don't slide out. I have not even used the pins that I drilled the holes for and each bed can hold 2 people with no problems. I also think the wood blocks I made are way larger then needed so I might trim them down a bit someday.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Don't you need to "lock" the bunkend from sliding back inside? That is the other purpose of pole support to keep the bunkend from sliding inside which could cause the shepherd hook bend or break. The shepherd hook is not designed to hold the bunkend in place. the anchor on the ceiling that hold the shepherd hook, might break off. The support pole serves this purpose to hold up the bunkend and to "lock" the bunkend in place.

Your idea is wonderful but other factors has to be looked into, too.

10. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

The original polls are still being used and do hold the beds in place. I just added my support poles as additional support because I heard of horror stories where people would be sleeping and the polls would break or bend and the walls would collapse making the bed fall.

Kiddingaround likes this.
  11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Perfect...

Dimples likes this.
  12. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Love this idea! I am going to look into this mod for our NTU PUP.

13. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

I considered the load jack idea, but ended up cutting down a closet rod.
    It sets in front of the LP tank space on the tongue and rises to underneath the center of the front bunk which sags a bit.
    There's never been over 200# on the bunk overnight, as we sleep on other bunk.
    The distance between bunk where rod contacts plywood bunk and location where closet rod sits is fixed and rot can't move.
    I will be adding velcro to bunk and end of dowel to prevent slippage, which has to date not occurred.

14. Carl & Theresa

Carl & Theresa New Member

You know that is not only a great mod but a preventive mod if you all think about it all the weight on the ends have been known to give the frame flex causing the doors not to line properly. This could really help that issue be prevented.

15. Jarius

Jarius New Member

I did this myself as a precaution. One thing I did differently was to put the board under the foot touching ground. Get a little rain and that foot could sink up a bit.

16. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Smart idea Jarius. The campground we always went to was so packed the ground was like a rock but they could sink a bit. I never felt unsafe knowing I had the supports in. Would love to see photos of others that have tried it :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018