popup bumper hitch add on for bikes

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by opfor, Oct 5, 2011.

1. opfor

opfor Member

Hi,
    I've got a 2012 Rockwood 2560g in bound in a few days and one of the things I want to do is carry two bicycles with us when we camp. Wondering if these add on hitches that go on the back of the camper bumper are a good idea? I have no idea what the ratings are on these small bumpers but wondering if a bike mount that probably weighs 20lbs or more along with 2 bikes guessing 60-75lbs here would be too much for that bumper? Here is a link to the device that I'm considering purchasing. If anyone knows the rating on this or if this will work please let
    me know.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trailer-Hitches/Curt/E-100.html

Thanks,
    Mike

2. crdodd

crdodd New Member

I have done a lot of experimentation with this, and I can tell you that you definitely can not put that type of hitch onto your bumper. The only option when attaching a receiver to the back of the popup is to find a method of tying it solidly to the frame.

The part about bike racks that surprised me is the lifting pressure that is applied at the back of the connection when you have the bikes loaded. I personally saw this force bend two 5/16 U-Bolts 45 degrees. Luckily they were still holding when we got to where we were going.

Whatever you do, test it on short trips before you take off for a long ride. Good luck.

3. dupreet

dupreet New Member

X2

The vast majority of PUP's don't have strong enough bumpers to add a bike rack. As yours is new, I wouldn't expect you want to go in and weld a bunch of steel supports from the frame back to the bumper!

4. opfor

opfor Member

WOW this is very disappointing but I appreciate the honest answers now before I go and spend 50 dollars for something that is not going to work and Damage my bumper. I see folks with racks mounted on top of their camper but I really don't like the idea of drilling and putting holes in my new camper. Is there any other way to mount a rack on top without drilling? Is there any other solution for transporting bikes? How about mounting some type of bike carrier to the spare on the rear....would that be too much stress as well?

Thanks.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have seen a few roof mounted racks made that just "sat" on the roof and got strapped down for travel... at the cg the racks doubled as ... a bike rack ..lol either search the site here, or search one of the (many) photo sharing sites (like webshots) for "trailer bike rack" .. should be able to pictures... and hopefully a couple members who made this type of rack will chime in soon..

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I remember that someone (can't recall name) posted a series of pictures on his home-made bike rack for the top of his PUP. It was not screwed into the PUP roof. Do some searches and it should turn up. If I recall correctly he had to do some experimentation before he got something that worked satisfactorily.

7. opfor

opfor Member

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Perhaps you can buy it with the proviso that you can return it for a full refund if it doesn't work on your rig. Install it and try it. (Be aware of the space you need to make tight turns, especially when backing up.) Another consideration: is it possible to move the propane cylinder a bit?

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

http://www.sixnall.com/

Fits on top of the camper without damaging the roof.... Personally I want one, but have needed to pull the trigger

10. opfor

opfor Member

EXCELLENT [;)] I think this is exactly what I need. First question in the FAQ does it require drilling.....NO...Eureka. Thanks so much for sharing. I found one similar and it was around $450 so this at around $259 is much more realistic. Thanks for sharing!!

11. MikeS2

MikeS2 New Member

I have this on the roof of my Rockwood, you do have to drill at the edges which penetrates the side panels of the roof and is not visible from inside the pup. I installed this the same as I did 8 years ago on my Jayco and used 3M 5200 marine sealant and never had an issue. Great crossbars, holds my Thule racks that I had and eTrailer has it for $149.00

http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/SportRack/SRA21020.html

12. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Some popups have the roof rack tracks so you can mount a roof rack w/o drilling. Not sure if yours does or not. I am still not a big fan of adding weight to the roof, tho.

Greg

13. opfor

opfor Member

I did find this on U-haul...best price yet. Just wondering if I might have issue with turning or reaching the weight on the tongue. I think my hitch weight is listed as 250lbs...add about 75lbs for the bikes and rack (worse case) and I guess that would still be within a safe range for the 500 tongue rating? Guess it all depends on how I load the camper. What do you folks think of it?

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Hitch-balls-mounts/Ball-mounts/Multi-Use-Ball-Mount?id=6505

14. memjcapades

memjcapades New Member

15. opfor

opfor Member

Would be very interested to know how this does, please follow up with me either here or by pm. I'm wondering if this also being an extension if it would allow more of a turning clearance between my vehicle and trailer?

Do you see any potential problem with adding a 3 1/4" drop to this receiver extension? That is what I have on my vehicle now and I'm fairly certain I will have to keep that drop for the camper.

16. MikeS2

MikeS2 New Member

I had tried one of those dual receiver adapters years back and it put way too much weight on the rear of my Grand Cherokee. The piece itself was very heavy and with the weight of the bike rack and the bikes and the fact that you have essentially extended the length of the tongue really caused alot of rear end sag. I would up trading it off to a friend who had a Tahoe. That is when I went with the roof crossbars - the load weight of the bikes is not on the center of the roof but is carried at the edges of the roof which is seated on the sides of the pup.

17. memjcapades

memjcapades New Member

I'll have mine hooked up tomorrow and post pics. fingers crossed ;)

18. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Let me ask ... how did this work with the awning rail, how much clearance(?)

19. mr. commerce

mr. commerce Member

I have been using the dual hitch receiver exactly like the one posted by memjcapades for several years now and have had ZERO issues. I tow two adult bikes and my son's bike. My TV is a 4runner and my camper is a wee Taos. I did have to drill two new holes, though, in order to get the best alignment. One hole was put through the shaft that enters into the TV's receiver hole [:D], and the other was added in the top tube so the bike rack could slide back further to allow better clearance for bikes and the trailer tongue connection at the ball. The steel is heavy duty and the machine shop at my previous job did the task for me.

No issues with sway, clearance for the bikes to the tank and/or trailer, and no issues with droop. Granted, the camper is small and the bikes are aluminum frames, but I have been pleased as peach with the set-up.

20. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only drawback? When you set up/tear down in the rain...... you only get more wet !!! [:D] [:D]