PopUp Camper Speaker Upgrade/Install | Listen to the Difference

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by sstressfl, Jul 10, 2020.

1. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

I really like the 2280bhesp popup, but its hard to listen to the cheap sounding stereo. It doesn't need to be studio quality, but I would like it to sound better. More bass, better highs, better sound separation. I selected a low cost 3-Way 6" x 9" 4 ohm Kenwood speaker with a 91 db sensitivity, and a 45 watt rms rating. It should be efficient enough for the 20 watt per channel Furrion head unit to make good sound. This is the install and the results.

Speakers: Kenwood KFC-6966R

2. mk4

mk4 Member

Not too long ago I installed speakers in my pup. I wanted to keep it simple, but I had ideas that the best sound would be from an in ceiling install.

I eventually installed one in the front and one in the dinette. I hardly ever listen to music when I'm camped so it's a non issue. But one of these days I might mount four speakers in the ceiling.

sstressfl likes this.
  3. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

I came to the same conclusion. Not worth too much effort because I don't spend much time listening to music in the popup. But this was low effort and good gains. I'm surprised how good the stereo effect is with the oem locations. However, it is obvious to me that its a huge wood box... it's made for speakers :) Could make this thing really thump lol... of course, we'd be tossed out of every campground.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I always thought I would like to have a stereo in mine. Even have a spare head unit in the garage from an older car. However, I don't really have a good spot to put it that wouldn't take away valuable storage space. In the end I just went with a decent BT speaker. However - the intended use (movies at night) ended up not happening. It is easier to just use our wireless headphones on the PS4 when we watch a movie - gets loud inside with the A/C running, although if it is cool enough we will shut it off for the movie, and turn it back on after.

5. sstressfl

sstressfl Member

We had a 97 Starcraft before this one and I never felt compelled to install a stereo. And you’re right the storage space is too precious. We used a BT speaker as well (a little Bose unit). And we had a small LCD tv to watch movies. Happy as could be :) This upgrade only happened because it was already there from the factory

campfire Joe likes this.