PopUp Camping in the White Mountains, NH - Moose Hillock - Not Rated, Directors Cut

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by sstressfl, Jul 24, 2020.

1. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

It has been years since our last visit to Moose Hillock in Warren, NH! With its heated pool, private campsites, gorgeous scenery... is it as good as we remember or has nostalgia made it bigger than reality?

And one more thing, I cannot thank the people of PopUpPortal enough for this tip... during a heat advisory, I learned the beauty and value of covering the bed areas with $12 Walmart "thermal blankets". Saved. Our. Lives. :D Thank you to the power of <insert infinity symbol>.

Camper: Rockwood 2280BHESP
    Camp website: https://www.moosehillock.com/new-hampshire/

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't know. Don't think I would want to be there when it is full. Four bathrooms seems inadequate for a campground that large. There must be 100 chairs around the pool. Golf carts and private pool cabanas, I can't afford.

3. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

When I was a kid, bathrooms/showers were always full at places like this. Now almost everyone has a private bathroom in their giant hardsides. Also, Moose Hillock is filled with rental cabins equipped with full bathrooms. I never had to wait to use the bathroom and not more than 1 person was in the bathroom when I arrived. We never had a problem finding chairs at the pool, even 5 in a row. Never felt compelled to rent golf carts or private cabanas and never felt like we were being upsold, not once. We had a great experience and always do when we visit. And of course, not every campground fits everyone's taste. This one fits our tastes perfectly :) And by the way, I heard that they are fully booked well into September.

Kyle R Thorson and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Sorry about being critical. It does look like a fun place. The size does concern me , with over 500 campsites. Fully booked and 500 campsites. Seems like they could add a few more bathrooms. Hard to believe that there was never more than one person in the bathroom.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  5. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Great video. We have yet to stay at Moose Hillock Campground (just hiked Mt. Moosilauke a couple weeks ago), but we always hear great things about it. For a private campground, they have nice, private sites. I hope you guys drove far enough across the Kanc to check out things like Rocky Gorge and the Lower Falls. If you want an amazing view when you come back, take the whole family to hike Mt. Willard. It is the best bang for the buck hike in the Whites..... easily done by your wife and kids. Hope you guys come back to NH soon !

(pic from the top of Mt. Willard, looking down [east] through Crawford Notch.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  6. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

I'm the explorer in the family and enjoy driving (motorcycling) for hours/days. I like to travel until I get lost and find my way back. But the rest of the family not so much :) We went about half way to Conway then turned around and came back. I plan to escape sometime soon on the bike to do the full ride. I have already been to the top of Mt Washington, but the Kanc has been a destination I keep missing. Looking fwd to seeing more! And thank you for the inside scoop on the hike! We were talking about hiking next time we return. You gave us a goal! We hall return my friend :)

HappyTraveler and Ductape like this.
  7. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

On your bike, go across the Kancamagus to Conway, then north on 16 to 302 and take that west through Crawford Notch, then south on 3 back to 93 through Franconia Notch. Not sure the scenery gets any better than that.

1380ken, Overland and sstressfl like this.
  8. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

Ohh you’re the best!! Thank you!

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Nice review, were atually going to there lake george campground in 2 weeks. Yes , it's expensive for some , but for the pool and waterslides for the kidos its worth it. It all depends on what you want to do. The TT has its own bathroom, so im not worried about the confert stations.

HappyTraveler and sstressfl like this.
  10. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

Haven’t been to their Lake George site but the entire Lake George area is really nice. I’m sure it’ll be a great experience. We have a camping potty on our site and a shower. But I still use the camp bathrooms because I’m the one who has to “manage” the portable toilet for the family!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

What a WONDERFUL video of carefree love and joy with family! I wish I lived closer to this place! A great model of family life and making memories for all of us! Thank you for putting this together!!!

sstressfl and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. CampingFamily1

For your son who burned himself on the hot water heater vent, I'd recommend moving the shower tent a few feet further away from the camper with an extension hose.

You could also put the door facing the woods as we do.
    It takes a little time to get the water temperature right before going in, but its not hard.

As shown below and in this link

[​IMG]

sstressfl and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

Thank you so much :D

14. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

That's a great solution! And since the cover gets so hot, I'm thinking of a simple wire cage that sticks out 3-4" that would stay cool and give touch/bump protection. Something like this.
    .[​IMG]

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. CampingFamily1

Yes those cages are good too. They make one for the hot water heater so it doesn't blow out from the wind.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. sandreas

sandreas Member

Great video, sstressfl! I’ve heard how big and private the Moose Hillock sites are, but geez, I didn’t think they would be THAT big and private, especially given that it’s a private campground. What a great place. We’ll definitely have to check it out!

sstressfl likes this.
  17. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

Its so amazing! We went to a KOA in Maine and it was like a parking lot. It was nice! We had fun! But we felt like we were squeezed in on top of other campers. It was hard to tell where the lines were between our camp site and our next door neighbor. Absolutely NOT a problem at Moose Hillock :)

HappyTraveler and sandreas like this.
  18. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I needed something for our bunk ends for our trip last summer to MN and the turnaround time for the Gizmos was going to not get to us before we left. So I bought those reflective blankets from Walmart; thankful I could get enough of them for our two bunk ends and the dinette slideout with the white backing (instead of the orange that you got). I was able to sew mine together and then cover the seams with gorilla tape. Also, added more grommets around the edges. They work great and really do help the a/c from having to run constantly. They also keep the bunk ends dark day (sun and sunrise) and night (head lights), not to mention adding the reflectix in the windows and blackout lining in all the new curtains.
    Thanks for sharing this video of the campground, looks like a great spot to take the family.

Sjm9911 and sstressfl like this.
  19. sstressfl

sstressfl Active Member

They seriously work!! I was shocked. Such a lightweight seemingly simple device with HUGE benefit :)

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.