PopUp Canadian International Rally (Week/Weekend)

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Snow, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I'll have to check the old work calander and see if I have anyone of those weekends off..

If anyone in Ontario wants to play host/ organizer I'll help find/suggest a few centerally located CG's.

2. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

Craig:

If you have a few suggestions, let me know and we can get things started. I'll finding members to help coordinate.

3. lpm

lpm EH?

Where? When? I already have camping fever for next year!

4. JoeCamper

We are still working out the details for this rally. If you have an suggestions for a location, please pm or email me.

joentwkguy@popupportal.com

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

One suggestion I can make is Grundy Provincial Park, but it is a 4 hr trek North for those in the Toronto area. We just got back from a week there, I'll update late with a review of the park.

There a re a few closer to and a little more centeral that I'll list in a bit. 1st day of School here so have to get the kiddies off shortly.

6. popnewbie

popnewbie New Member

My Family would greatly be interested in going to a rally, being new to the popup world. Let us know of dates and locals to setup time to take off. Thanks!

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First question to ask is: Are we (in Ontario) going to attempt to have one, two or more rallies?

The next question is how far will you drive for a weekend of camping (assuming it to be a regular 2 day weekend) ?

The third question that needs answering is what type of CG would be prefered? Provincial Park, Private or Conservation area?

Once these question start being answered then more planning can take place.

8. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

I'm interested, and i'd be willing to drive say 3-4hrs for a 2 day trip. Maybe more if i plan my holidays accordingly and stop somewhere along the way. I have yet to take the pup to a provincial park, the only drawback that i could see is the distance to electrical hook-ups, but others would know better. Are they all like that?

I'd be willing to help organize some, but can't step up to take the lead right now. As for suggestions, i'll concede to others as we haven't experienced a lot of different campsites in recent years.

Adam

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Oh, and not to make it sound like all the Canadian members are in Ontario, hopefully others in other provinces will arrange something.

Perhaps Joe can split things up from being just country wide to provincial, would also help with organizing and would be less confussing for some.

10. JoeCamper

Criag:

We have split the Canadian Rally and made this one for the Ontario area. Your thoughts for a location?

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

well alot depends on how far are people willing to travel and should we have two or even three locations?

I don't mind driving about 2-3 hrs for a weekend (2 nights) and 3-4 hrs for a long weekend and even farther for a week or longer.

Seeing how for me and mostly for the DW and kids we'll only be doing 2 nights. (this all depends on my work sched. which I should know in about a month or so.)

For now I'll toss out a few ideas.

For P.P's : In SW Ontario. (havent been to first 2 in years, 3rd never been to)
    Earl Rowe
    Craigleith
    Awenda

In Centeral Ont. (Never been to any of these, hopefully others can comment)
    Darlinton
    McRea
    Sibbald

Now there are also a bunch of city parks and conservation area parks around the area as well.

12. RJinTO

RJinTO New Member

It looks like we have geography working against us....

Snow, you mentioned Awenda. Excellent park, we made our first trip there this past July. The hydro sites are, for the most part, trailer friendly in terms of backing up and site layout although the hydro posts can be a challenge. We ended up using almost 75 feet in extension cord plus the 25 feet in the trailer. The beach is a long way off if you're walking ( 1-2 km ) but other than that we had no issues. Bonus: No Bears. I've had enough of Yogi and friends.
    Reservations are a must!

It's been awhile since I was at Earl Rowe but I do recall that a number of the sites are treeless while some are great sites with pull throughs.

Algonquin, Bon Echo and Grundy or Killbear are all high on our list but maybe just a little at the ragged edge for a weekend; doable but maybe not for everybody.

I guess if I had to be nailed down to one place I would say Awenda.

13. Full Circle

Darlingtons the closest for us about 4hrs, i'm pretty sure the others are out of reach 5 to 5.5 hrs. a little far for us for a weekend. I'd be up for anywhere in Algonquin East or the highway 60 corridor, or Bon Echo, if i was to join a more central group. Anyone chime in yet that wants to stick to eastern ontario? Murphy's Point, Charbot, or Silver Lake.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

My point exactly. I would suggest on having 2 different locations, pick some sort of dividing line and have one East and one West of that line, try to make the 2 places kind of centeral for the 2 sections.

15. JoeCamper

Two locations is fine with me, we just need to work that out. I'm trying to update my geography skills but its not as easy as i had hoped.

I have 13 locations listed from the prior posts and I don't know anything about any of them. I'm not sure about Eral Rowe, Awenda, Darlingtons, Algonquin, Bon Echo, Grunndy, Killbear, Craigleith, Murphy's Point, Charbot, Silver Lake, McRea and Siddald? I understand private but I'm not sure of the difference in Provincial Park or Conservation area.

Can we list 2 or 3 for the East and 2 or 3 for the West?

16. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Provincial parks, self explanatory, owned by the province's ministry of Natural Resources.

Conservation areas, newer parks owned by the watershed management authorities (Grand River Conservation Authority for example). Usually less scenic, fewer woods/wildlife. PPs don't have seasonals, conservation authorities do.

Hope that helps.

James

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Pretty much what James said, typically conservations ares also have some sort of lake and or river you can swim or paddle on. Think of them as a hybrid between private and Provincial parks.

Well, guees those of us who have posted this in this thread could come up with a dividing line to split the Province, guess theoretically the split should be somewhere around HWY. 400 or the 404. Anyone living near the split can decide which direction they want to go. This way those East out towards Ottawa can pick a centeral point between Ottawa and say Peterborough. Those of us out in the West can try to find something close to being central.

So how agree to make the split point around the 400 or 404 ???

some sites that may help decide where to go..

http://www.campinginontario.ca/ Private campground listings by maps.
    http://ontarioparks.com/english/index.html
    http://www.conservationontario.ca/ This site takes some navigating to find the conservation areas that have camping.
    http://www.goingtocamp.com/ Camis reservation site.

18. Full Circle

Darn Craig, was hoping to be able to hook up with you. Maybe eventually! 400 or 404 is probably fine. I'm more worried that more people haven't chimed in with interest. If it doesn't pan out, i'd drive farther i guess to meet some of you guys, but i'd probably take some holidays and do it in two steps.
    Adam

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If Joe can send me the list of Ontario members again as well as the info for the week/weekend, I'll mass message/email them asking them to come to the thread and share their input.

Had a quick peek last night and by my calculations I will probably be working most weekends in June... [:!] If that happens I'll probably try and put together a rally for a July weekend or even an August.

20. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

I think 400/404 is a good dividing line. Like it or not, having to drive through Toronto adds a big chunk of time to any drive, unless you can get away very early in the morning, or very late at night (and who wants to set up in the dark!).

I think my limit for a weekend is similar to Snows - 2-3 hours. I don't have many suggestions to offer as far as campgrounds. We've been doing mostly lake Huron campgrounds this year, which aren't very central. We have done Elora Gorge last year (part of the Grand River conservation authority), but I can't recommend it for weekend camping. The camp gets very full, and there are tons of day trippers there to go tubing in the gorge. It's very busy and noisy then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.