PopUp Gizmos, Cool!

Discussion in 'Featured Products' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 26, 2010.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Eric, Reflectix is a material many use to make insert for the windows of their PopUps and Hybrids. I helps keep the heat in and acts as a wind block. There are quite a few topics on the subject under the "Heating / Cooling" & "Cold Weather Camping" boards.

2. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

I love my Gizmos! This was the first season with them and they held up well to the Kansas wind. I can't wait to do some winter camping with them. Oh yeah I have the Original High Wind Version with the clamps.

3. mikeycats

mikeycats New Member

Steve, can you clarify the gizmos for me. Do they come in sets-one for each bunk or do you buy one for each, and if so what is the third one for?

4. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Hi Mike,

Covers are typically bought in sets (two complete covers) though that's not a requirement...we sell single covers as well. For those with a slide-out, a cover for it (third cover) can be purchased as part of a set also. But again...there's no fixed rule.

Thanks,

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com

5. BZLuck

BZLuck New Member

Since people seem to love these PUGs, I've checked out their site and am considering purchasing a set of them.

I have a few questions if ya'll don't mind.

1. Can I presume that these also make the sleeping areas darker? (Looking at this as a good thing, since even at home I'm up at the first crack of light almost no matter what.)

2. How big are they when they are folded up? Our PUP has a pull out dining area, so we would want the set of 3. Just wondering how much space they would take up in the PUP or the TV when not attached.

Thanks

6. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Howdy,

Yes, the covers will darken the top of the bunk canvas. As to how much is somewhat subjective...but it's common to read from users of the covers that this is one of the benefits they appreciate. As for how small they are when folded up...two and three cover sets...no matter which version (standard, High Wind or Super High Wind) are shipped in a 12" x 12" x 8" box...so storage space needed is very little. Of course, you know how it is...things never fit back in the packages they come it...lol. So how small the covers will fold up is dependent on how small you're willing to fold.

Thanks,

Bob Pitney

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'll add that the storage space required for the Gizmos is less when DH folds ours than when I do, but either way, it isn't much space. Our clips (we bought our own, since our Gizmo was from the warehouse sale & didn't come with them) take up more space than the fabric, but it all fits easily into just a section of our tiny storage space.

8. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We L-O-V-E our Gizmos! We won't camp without them, either. On one very quick overnight stay on a long journey home we decided not to use the Gizmos. It wasn't supposed to rain; it was late at night; we had been driving all day; it was very dark - no moon to help us when setting up; we wanted to be on the road quickly and early the next morning, so we didn't use them. Well, when we woke up the next morning, there was so much dew on the camper that we had a few drops of water inside the bed area. It might as well have poured.

The tenting was so damp and we didn't have ShamWow's in the camper then. (Even if we had them, we would have still had to wait for the sun to completely dry off the canvas) We had to stay set up at the sight and wait for the sun to come up high enough over the campground trees and dry off the camper. We knew it was raining at home and that we'd have no opportunity to open up a wet camper. We had a 13 hour drive ahead of us and couldn't help but imagine what mold / mildew would grow on the canvas.

We did enjoy the camp Nature Center and eventually got on the road, but that was the trip where we decided Gizmos Every Time.

So, if you live or camp in an area where there's rain or dew, get the Gizmos!

9. Blonde Bunny

Blonde Bunny New Member

All I can say is that we love, love, love our gizmo! When we bought our used pup it had a tiny hole in the canvas, which looked like a branch may have fallen on it. We repaired it, but still worried. Our gizmo took care of that! We were in a deluge two summers ago and had no leaking whatsoever.

It has also been great in hot and cold weather. Love that we can flip it to suit the climate.

People ask us about ours all the time. :)

10. Bigred01

Bigred01 New Member

We've had our PUGS for about a year and a half now, and we LOVE them! Reading the options about the new high wind, made it a little clearer on how to put them on during set up. (Clip them to the roof while raising, then clip to canvas ends once shepherd's poles are up). It's great when we've had a rainy night, and have to pack up the next morning. The ends aren't wet! We tend to always pick he coldest weekend for a NE Florida winter to go camping, and have found they're awesome for keeping in some heat. They're also great for keeping off the wet leaves and bird poop! I can't imagine setting up camp without them! Also- I always seem to have extra clips and they work great for hanging my christmas lights under the awning!

Thanks Pop Up Gizmo's!

11. Starpass

Starpass New Member

I've read a lot on these lately and think I'll have to add it to my list of things to save up for! I will definitely be getting the high wind ones considering most of my camping is in places that tends to be either windy, or deals with a lot of wind gusts. I'm more interested in using them to keep the heat in since I'm in Canada, but it will be nice to keep things a little cooler when we finally get some good weather in summer *crosses fingers.*

12. campr4fn

campr4fn Member

We're using ours (High Wind version) the first time this weekend; looking for the additional insulation ability more than solar protection though....
    I set up the camper in the driveway this weekend for a dry run and the gizmos were made to fit perfectly; can't wait for field experience!

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

themanfromvan asked:
    I have used them both ways (heating and cooling) on many occasions. They help to decrease condensation because they keep the cold outside air out of direct contact with the bunk end roof tenting that is in contact with heated air on the inside. Of course, you still need to have two windows slightly open because of human exhalation.

bluetj, Reflectix (brand name) is a thermal reflector that was originally designed for use in buildings. It works wonderfully in PUPs to help hold heat in and, if placed in sunny windows during the day, to keep the sun's heat out. It is essentially a layer of bubble wrap with a silver metallic foil layer on each side (like the sunscreens made for car windshields but heavier duty). You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot in the building materials section. It comes in rolls that are 2' high or 4' high and 25' or 50' long.

14. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

The PUG's cooler cover works pretty good too. In a decent sized cooler, ice lasts another day or maybe a bit more.

15. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

I used mine last year for our first trip, it was 34 degrees outside and 71 degrees inside the PUP and we had no problem with condensation. I really cant wait until this summer to use them and see how the work then.........

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have the cooler cover, too and it is a great help; we have one of the Coleman stainless coolers and the lid can literally get too hot to touch if it is in the sun (we try to avoid that). We use some closed cell foam on top of the cooler, under the cover, 3 pieces cut from a sleeping pad. The cooler cover keeps them in place. The pads double as picnic bench cushions, when needed.

17. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

One of the first things we did when we got the "Cottage" was to order a new set of Gizmos for it.
    We gave the last set to the folks who bought our StarCraft.

They are a wonder, hot or cold they work great. Glad to see they have a Vecro option now, we did that ourselves long before they had it. Makes it so much easier to them up, you don't have to clamp them until you get everything up (unless it is really windy, then maybe a clamp or two).
    The cooler Gizmo works really well too!

18. Hetzgog

Hetzgog New Member

I've got a set we used every trip last year (first year) in our new PUP... I've read about the de-laminating issues and am concerned about longevity because I know I can not live without them.

I too fold them up for storage and would appreciate suggestions to prevent delamination issues.

Thanks in advance!

19. Hetzgog

Hetzgog New Member

No creative ideas to prevent this? Anyone tried rolling them up for storage? Do you think this would be the better method?

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I had a set delaminate to a point where I decided to replace them. JMO but folding or not folding wasn't an issue. The delamination was more general in nature. I'd guess after around 60-70 camping days, I noticed the delamination beginning. At about the 90 day mark, I decided that I would replace them. In my mind it's worth it. Aside from the comfort aspects, it's cheaper to replace the Gizmos than the tenting.