PopUp Gizmos, Cool!

Discussion in 'Featured Products' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 26, 2010.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Re: PopUp Gizmos, Cool! and warm!

I used the bunk end liners on our recent trip to Grand Canyon (South Rim), in addition to the outside ones. They did a great job, reducing that drafty feeling in the bunk, and helping keep thing warm - the low one night was 15 degrees.

We have the super high wind version of the outside Gizmos. The shock cords act as a channel (for lack of a better term) for the rain to run under the bunk end - once the temps fell below freezing, I had some weird looking "icicles"; at one point I had over an inch of ice, most of the full length of the cord under the bunk. Definitely glad we now have the super high wind version, though we'd like to figure out a pattern to attach the shock cords to carabiners or rings so there are not 20 separate attachment points.

You can see what the pup looked like on the first morning, after rain which turned to snow:
    [​IMG]
    Snowy camp, Grand Canyon Nov 2011 by kitphantom, on Flickr

2. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Hi Kitphantom,

Great photo...how about allowing us to put it on the PopupGizmos home page? Ok, I confess, I'm about to put it on our home page. But please let me know if that's ok...it's not we'll remove it.

And for everyone else...we've decided it's time for us to move into the 21st century (lol) and start a Facebook page for PopupGizmos. Any photos you'd like to share with your PUG's installed will be posted there. And we'll also use Facebook to announce specials...like our Black Friday Special this coming Friday.

Best to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com

3. kitphantom

Bob-
    I have no problems with you using the photo. I can't imagine having done that trip without the inside and outside Gizmos!

4. candleems

candleems Member

Bob Pitney, would you post a link for your facebook page when it's ready? Inquiring minds...

5. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Done...your on our home page...and THANKS!!

I'm setting up our Facebook page this morning...it will be ready today!

Thanks!!!!!!

Bob

6. Valkyrie_1520

Valkyrie_1520 New Member

I have been looking at the Gizmo's for a NTM 1996 Jayco 1207KB. The question that is have is are they waterproof? I have always camped in tents and standard campers with tarps over the top and was wondering if that is really necessary with the PUP with the gizmo's installed?

7. kitphantom

They are waterproof, though after 2 full seasons with the one for the older pup, it was developing pinholes from abrasion as it was packed, etc. Not an issue as it still was reflective for hot weather and the holes were not enough to have an effect on the air space in cold.

We have never camped with a tarp over any of our tents, nor pups, so depends on your level of trust with their water-resistance. On the old pup, we did not have the roof edge of the Gizmos velcroed to the roof so, on occasion, rain might blow under the edge, but the pup itself is pretty water resistant.
    We have had a bit of dampness at a couple of corners in the Palomino with wind-driven rain after a few hours, but a tarp would not have been a help in those situations. Most other rain seepage issues we have had through 20+ years have been wicking along ties of some sort (fixed with a line of seam sealer across the tie) or tent floors. Until the tents are too old/worn, Tectron fixes floor and fly issues - except for the Coleman tent we had to buy on a trip when wind destroyed our tent - that thing began to leak after a week of use and we threw it out after the second trip with it. (The REI tents we have had through the years have a much better lifespan.)

8. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

The covers are water proof. However, while the covers can and do deflect water off the top bunkend canvas, it should not be expected that the installation between the covers and the bunkend canvas is going to produce a water proof seal. We do have customers who have bought the covers to stop leakage that was occurring in their top bunkend canvas and it's fair to say the covers can aid in this manner...the Super High Wind design being the most effective in this regard. But again, it's not possible to absolutely assure the attachment of the covers to the bunkends will produce a water proof seal.

And FYI, check out our website...Black Friday is coming!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com

9. tttgmlake

tttgmlake New Member

what is the Velcro option no one mentioned that have they stopped doing it we just received ours no one mentioned Velcro

10. kitphantom

Some people install Velcro under the edge of the roof end, so the PUG can be attached there, it helps keep the rain from flowing under the PUGs and that edge from flapping in the wind. On our previous pup, the PUG was sort of pinched between the edge of the roof end and vinyl bunk roof, so we didn't bother with ordering Velcro when we got the SHW ones for the new pup. We soon found the Velcro would help and installed 3 sections on each end, with self-stick Velcro, which does not work well in our climate. We stapled the hook side across the whole width on each bunk end, and I sewed the loop side to the PUGs. When we have to buy new ones, we'll request the Velcro to be sewn on - it was not a difficult job, but clumsy.
    And yes, we know that the PUGs will need to be replaced somewhere down the line - but it sure is nice to have them protect the actual bunk end roofs from sap, bird droppings, etc.

11. froggie

froggie New Member

Ditto this! Just wish I had found this site sooner. :)

12. dladle75

dladle75 New Member

Here was my simple solution to securing down the Super High Wind Popup Gizmos I just installed.
    I purchased 4 small steel rings and a 2-pack of Nit Ize S-Biners from Home Depot for less than $7 for attaching the provided black clips together. You can leave the clips attached to the steel rings and they don't get all tangled up when storing. Easy for one person to clip and unclip.

I had the Popup Gizmos made with a strip of soft sided velcro along the top at the roof line. I used 2" industrial strength sticky back velcro and attached it to the underside of the roof line on the wood with a handful of screws to reinforce the holding strength. Only needed the hard side of velcro. Cost was around $20 on Amazon, $30 at HD as I could not find just the hard side of velcro .

Attached Files:

13. Appfan

Appfan New Member

Thats exactly what I did as well. The s-biners and the steel rings make securing the gizmos a 2 minute operation. Highly recommended.

14. kitphantom

We did the ring mod, but installed lash hooks under the bunk, so it is easy to clip the rings over them. We originally used the 'biners, but it was more difficult for me to reach to secure them. Works great, and sure speeds things up from attaching each shock cord hook individually. That got old quickly, especially when I ws trying to set up in the rain.

15. heathermax

heathermax New Member

How do you know what size to buy? I have two different size beds...

16. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

When you order and tell Bob which camper you have he knows. Or you can be sure and tell him you have queen/king or queen twin. Bob will do you right, outstanding customer service!

17. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

The absolutely best customer service

18. kitphantom

When you call, Bob will know, unless you have a really, really unusual pup - event hen,m he'll get it figured out.

19. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Love em. Pop up gizmos do everything they are supposed to do. From the show me state.

20. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Just orderd some gizmos for our popup to be delivered to New Zealand.
    No problem for Bob.
    I added some extra to pay for the Paypal surcharges and he kindly credited it back to my account.
    Really nice to be dealing with a plain honest person, makes you have faith in the Human condition again.