Apr 3, 2010
My latest mod...

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

HappyCamperTX

Camping in and around Central Texas!
Jun 30, 2010
Hey now that is sharp! How do you attach it to the roof? I am guessing since it hangs out that it isn't permanently attached?

NetDad

Apr 16, 2010
Seen this mod before and looks like the pipe has two notches in it. First is along the whole pipe. The second is small, in the middle, to allow the pipe to slip partly under the roof. The sheer pressure of the tent put up keeps it in place looks like.

braveteacher

Apr 3, 2010
When I cut the pipe to length....it kinda comes together...so you just pull it apart and slip it under the roof...does not fall out...kinda clamps to the roof....if you forget to take it off...when you start coming down with the popup it will fall off.

James

braveteacher

Apr 3, 2010
Just a simple AC gutter...not for rain...we live and camp in Florida and run the AC year around...the water was creating mold on the seams...and I saw this on Popup Portal...the pipe was some that I had laying around so cost $0....the one I saw was much smaller pipe and I am sure they had a time keeping it in place...this size just stays up and you can put a 5 gal bucket under it and use the water for whatever...

James

Beth

Aug 17, 2009
what diameter pipe did you use? 3" and how long is it?
i made a gutter out of small pipe....and cut the top half off of 1 end. it did fit ok between the black rubber seal and the top of the canvas;
but it stormed both nights we camped, and the 2nd day the condensation (or maybe that combined with any water that may have stayed on the roof??) was coming down in a wider path above the gutter, so it didn't work so well after that.....
i think your gutter would solve that problem.
(plus i can get it cheap...i work for a plumber!!)

thanks,
beth

Agcflash

Lets Go Camping!!!
Sep 20, 2007
N Carolina
Great idea. I have always seen them made from smaller diameter. But the larger pipe seems to work as well if not better. Thanks for sharing!!

rustyinky

Jun 30, 2010
Great solution and nice camper, I think I have the same one, although mines a year or two older based on the style of the rear of your PUP. I think I'll try a similar approach.

Dammitjim

Jul 20, 2011
braveteacher said:
When I cut the pipe to length....it kinda comes together...so you just pull it apart and slip it under the roof...does not fall out...kinda clamps to the roof....if you forget to take it off...when you start coming down with the popup it will fall off.

James

James, do you have a picture of it while off the camper? I made one according to other postings but on my Jayco, the separation between the canvas and the roof is too much and the gutter doesn't stay. I am wondering what actually holds your piece in place? What did you use to cut the PVC?

elZaphod

Apr 27, 2009
On my 86 Sun Valley I had attached a small piece of stiff wire wrapped in electrical tape to keep it from being sharp, exposed metal. The bit of wire was attached at the corner where the AC always dripped. The water followed the path of the wire gently angled 2" out from the camper and kept me dry so long as I parked level. I plan on doing the same to my 05 Yuma as soon as I find where the AC drips. :)

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
Some have used vinyl siding "J" channel in the same way. A bit easier to store as it's not so wide. Snaps onto the roof edge and directs the water off to the side.

MikeS2

Sep 11, 2011
The J-channel works great for me, I tried the sliced in half pvc pipe but it would never stay in place.

thecigarmann

Oct 15, 2011
I bought a 10' section of vinyl house gutter from the Home Depot. I cut a 3' piece but have not tried it out yet. Not sure if if will stay in place or not. I'll give it a try next year.

Vstarman2010

May 20, 2013
I did this mod and used it for the first time this weekend on a camping trip to Florida. I used 1/2 PVC and cut it to fit my 1997 Jayco 1207KB. It worked like a charm and it was an easy mod to do.

Cheers

blondezone

Jul 9, 2012
We put a gutter on our Viking, but we didn't use pvc pipe or even the J-Channel. However we did try the J-Channel, but didn't like how tight it made the canvas we worried about the wear on the canvas. DH came up with the idea of a using a pool noodle. It is used in the same way that this pvc pipe is used but it is foam which has some cushion to it. We used it for the first time this past weekend and it worked great. Best $1.09 we spent.

Appfan

Aug 10, 2011
Thanks everyone, these are really good ideas. Wanted to try this gutter mod for a long time. Unfortunately, the PVC pipe wasn't a good fit for our Rockwood. It was too tight against the canvas. My next iteration is a direct rip-off I saw in the popup group on facebook.

I took a pool-noodle and sliced it longways down the side. You need a large inside diameter noodle for it to work. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Cheers!