Popup in a rest area

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by mpking, Jun 19, 2019.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

On the way to work today I drove by the rest area in Chelmsford Ma (495 North), and lo and behold, I saw someone with the popup setup in the parking lot. Overnighting I guess?

It was a weird place to setup, as they did it in the car parking. They backed it into an angled parking spot (One way parking, so they backed it in the wrong way).

I have no idea on my state's rules on overnights, but I didn't think it was allowed in Mass.

Lebowski16 likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

As a general rule, mainly for safety, you should not open up your PopUp or A-Frame Camper in a rest area (SPH Stealth Camping a possible exception). I've slept in rest areas but in my TV.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Interesting that most states say no camping. I wonder how they define camping. If you stop at walmart, they dont mind if you sleep in your trailer, but they prefer no slide outs. I wonder if most states see it the same way.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't do it.....we are going in a 800 mile trip next week. If I cant find an open spot whenever we get tired of driving then I'll find the closest hotel for the night.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

SPH = Slim Potatohead

He did a video on stealth camping.

Orchid and hometownhiker like this.
  8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Sleeping at a busy interstate rest stop, doesn't sound all that restful to me. [:(O] Having said that, years ago we went to an organized fall ride somewhere between the Twin city's and Duluth. (all in Mn) We pulled in late the day before and could not locate an available motel for the life of us. We ended up sleeping peacefully in a church parking lot.

Nealster likes this.
  9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Back when we only had 2 or 3 weeks for vacation and didn't want to spend all our time driving to the destination we did stop at rest stops along the way and sleep. We would marathon drive west without stopping or only stopping for short sleep breaks at rest areas. Basically, one of us would be driving in the middle of the night and the other driver was sleeping, along with the kids in our Chevy G20 conversion van (yep, the same one we still have). At some point the driver gets tired and pulls over in a rest area on the interstate and goes to sleep. Later (or earlier), one or the other, usually the one who was sleeping the longest, wakes up and starts driving.
    Kind of weird, b/c the second driver usually doesn't know where they are or how long they've been there, but we never had a problem and usually we'd only be parked for 2 or 3 hours.
    Ah, the crazy stuff we used to do when we were young! ;)

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Never know what kind of crazies could stop by a rest area at 3AM. I sure wouldn't do it. We don't even tend to do overnights (1 night) in the pup at all, as it's too much work... we'll get a hotel for those nights.

Pommom70, Rik Peery and Orchid like this.
  11. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Slim understands the concept of "Stealth" camping. He's pretty much awesome all the way around.

12. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Young? We still do something like this when needed.
    On our trip back from BC last summer my husband and son had flown home and the girls and I were driving back on our own. One day we ran into some mechanical issues which messed up our plans. We weren't going to make it to our intended campsite and then back in time to the dealership to get our issue fixed. As the only driver I was done - so we spent the night in a truck stop and slept in the van for a few hours. Not super comfortable or quiet - but enough to recharge the batteries and allow us to get to our next site in enough time to have a decent dinner and a very good sleep.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I've never seen a pup setup in a rest area. Really not a good idea in my opinion. I have seen rest areas in a few states that have areas just for RV's. Each spot has a power hookup. If my memory is correct I believe it was Indiana along rt 80. I know a few Wal-Marts here near us do not allow overnight parking anymore.

Here is a site that list Walmarts in NJ that DO NOT allow overnight RV parking:
    https://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts-in-new-jersey/

tzmartin likes this.
  14. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Believe me, we'd have no trouble doing it again if the need arises, but now that we aren't punching a clock, we don't usually do the marathon driving anymore.

Have to laugh, the inlaws lived in MN, and we'd try to get out there for their anniversary around Memorial Weekend. From our house to theirs was 16-18 hours straight. Between packing the vehicle, I'd try to get a nap in so I could drive during the witching hours. The vehicle would be gassed and packed and ready to go when husband got home from work about 5pm. He usually would be kind of wired and excited, so started driving the first leg. I'd try to doze, but most times I'd ride shotgun. Husband would drive until about 10pm, he'd go lay down and sleep and I would take over. I could usually get us to just east of Chicago by about 2am. At that point, husband would take over again and I'd go sleep. We'd do this until we'd get to MN about 10am on Saturday morning.
    On Monday, we'd leave MN about 2pm and drive straight through, getting home about 6am on Tuesday, when husband would take a shower and go to work.
    Mind every single time husband's siblings would drive out to see us they'd comment about how far it was to drive and take a total of 4 days to come out and back. We would laugh b/c yeah, we know, we do it twice a year! We also didn't have 4 days to spend driving there and back when we only had 3 days total.
    Vacation days were sacred, so anything we could do to stretch them, we did.
    Like I said, not for everybody, but it's what we did so we spend time with family.

J Starsky and Tulip like this.
  15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is really cool! I've been a follower of stealth camping/van living/car living for many years. When I starting having an interest in it, Yahoo had groups and I belonged to Van Dwellers. I have never done, and don't plan to, but it intrigues me so much and I love watching videos on the subject. I never would have thought it could be done in an A-liner. Subscribed to this guy!

PopUpSteve and HappyTraveler like this.
  16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Maybe the guy wasn't camping and just had to get something out. I could imagine leaving the med kit in the popup and needing it on the road for asthma or something. I've had to pop up my truck camper before in odd places, but it's only a matter of time before I have to do it with the popup trailer...

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I thought that same thing. I'm forever locking stuff down in the camper and then needing them. Right now, at home, I have something I need locked up in there. Too hot to put the camper up right now to get it.

18. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Both bunks were setup, and the tow vehicle was detached and parked in a different area. Seems like alot of work to just grab something.

tfischer likes this.
  19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I suppose if he had poofed up all the tenting properly it seems more like a nap than a soda grab.

Or a Craigslist showing.

20. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I used to be a 1 man band in my 1988 StarCraft packaged Chevy Suburban. Carried wood in the middle seats, gear up front, slept in the back. Sometimes I'd stay in a rest area and nobody ever knew I was in there. Had a husband and wife fighting right next to me and the freaked out when I yelled at them, seemingly from nowhere! LOL