Popup jerks over bumps

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by nairB, Jun 17, 2019.

1. nairB

nairB New Member

Hi there--I pull a 12' Coleman. With the old TV (Honda Odyssey) it pulled well, but jerked a bit (forward and backward, not side to side) when the road surface was bumpy (e.g., slab concrete). Now we have a Chev Traverse which is rated for more towing capacity, but the jerking is more pronounced over bumps. Both TVs pulled smoothly on smooth pavement. Any suggestions what I should check? Thanks in advance.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Check tongue weight, it should be 10 -15% weight on the tongue. Also check packing, heavier items should be toward the front, also would not hurt to get the tires balanced

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

is it being towed level?
    is the trailer suspension in the OEM configuration ( or has it been altered)?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Well, when you hit a bump it bounces. How that equates over the diffrent tvs idk. It will jerk, front and back. I pull with a full size puck up , and it does the same. It depends on the bumps and pot holes and the grade its on. I would rhink that it would also be effected by the shocks on the tv. Better shocks, and newer ones could probably handle the bounce better. But thats only a guess.

Minimalist and neighbormike like this.
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

That's what it feels like when you tow a trailer.

Spridle likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Odd, I don't recall noticing jerks on our 2000+ mile long trip with the Aliner - even over the far back lumpy rocky dirt roads, whit I did hear is my sloppy ball mount rattling around in the receiver when on dirt roads.

7. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

My Pup was tow bar was slapping quite a bit, particularly at low speed causing the TV to jerk from the impact. I added a collar that was recommended to me that I found on Amazon that cured the slap and subsequent jerking that I was feeling. It is called -

CZC AUTO 2PCS Hitch Tightener

8. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

I technically only had the camper setup for my wrangler and not my SO's Jeep and she was towing it this past weekend and noticed it jumps around a bit more despite the fact it could tow much more than mine. Due to the suspension they do tend to jerk around a bit though, and it being on the correct level and the weight do matter. Though, like, they don't have shocks or anything so they don't ride as nice as cars do. Do you have more information for us to go off of - hey even a picture of the whole setup would help us help you.

9. nairB

nairB New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will test the tongue weight probably tomorrow (today was devoted to cleaning and drying out!). The pup was close to level, but perhaps angled slightly up at the front--I had U-Haul flip an old hitch and ball so I can try a 4" drop instead of the 2" drop I was using on the weekend. Pup suspension is OEM. It doesn't really bounce--the feeling is that it tugs back on the TV. I've been looking at hitch tighteners (as mentioned by Ken) to try to take any bit of slack out, but haven't picked one up yet as I'll see what the other adjustments do first.

10. davido

davido Active Member

"It should be 10 - 15% of the weight of the trailer." -- fixed.

11. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

The local roads around my house have a lot of potholes and my pup jumps and jerks all over the place. However everywhere else it tows super smooth.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I can feel mine jerking around quite a bit back there even with a body on frame 3/4 ton truck. Just depends on the road surface. For sure I'd follow through and check the tongue weight and such, but at the end of the day these single axle trailers can move around quite a bit. My much heavier tandem axle open car trailer pulls much more smoothly than the pup does.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Check your suspension. Our pup has a torsion axle and it was pretty much permanently bottomed out, made for a very rough ride on some roads. We just got it replaced this month... $$$'s but it now rides much much smoother, and we now also have trailer brakes.

Spridle likes this.
  14. nairB

nairB New Member

Thanks again. Tonight I checked the tongue weight...or at least tried! I was using a bathroom scale that goes up to 280 lbs.--the tongue would have surpassed that, so all I know is that it is at least 280 lbs. on the tongue. The trailer is about 2000 lbs. dry and has a GVWR around 3000. I don't fill the water tank, so I'm guessing load we are under 2500 lbs. Long story short, I think the tongue weight is okay. I haven't tried the 4" drop hitch yet, but have my hopes up.