• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Popup registration options?


May 1, 2021
Looking for affordable ways to register my popup. As a maryland resident , I know I should register it in my home state but they do not offer longer tags then 2 year for like $140. A friend suggested getting registered in Maine but ran into basically the same pricing and years available. Any one have any suggestions or tricks they used ? When I bought back in April I did my taxes and title through Maryland mva. But there has got to be a more economical way to get tags for my popup. Thank you in advance.
Sep 8, 2020
Did something change recently ?

I live in Maryland as well, and registered my PUP a few months ago. I also have a utility trailer for a mower.

Both are $51.00 for 2 years


Adam H

Active Member
Aug 22, 2015
I wouldn't be too upset with those numbers. Travel Trailers (not PUPs or utility trailers) in California cost hundreds of $$$$ each year to register. Not to mention the costs to register cars here, it is not unusual to see over $1000.00/yr for new cars.


Super Active Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
If I moved to Idaho, I'd slash my car/trailer/quad/motorcycle annual registration bill by over a thousand dollars annually.
But I live in Ca, so I have to suck it up.
It would suck for you if you found a way to "game" the system and got caught...
Last edited:


2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I got permanent plates on my popup and I'm in northern VA. Not sure if it's changed since then. Amazing how rules can be so different for neighboring states.


Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
It is $13 / year for new tabs for my pop up in MN. My utility trailer, which actually has a slightly higher GWR has permanent plates that I paid a one time fee on which was very reasonable - but, you can't get that on a camper.


Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
I would love to register my car somewhere else, so i dont have to pay nj insurance prices? Anyone have any ideas? I didn't know there was an option for this, i can save like 3k a year.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
If I moved to Idaho, I'd slash my car/trailer/quad/motorcycle annual registration bill by over a thousand dollars.
But I live in Ca, so I have to suck it up.
It would suck for you if you found a way to "game" the system and got caught...
Wow! I also live in California. I have one popup camper with permanent plates purchased by the previous owner for around $300.00. I pay nothing now for registration. It cost me $64.00 to re-register it in my name when I bought it. I also have a small utility trailer with permanent plates. I've owned it for 13 years. About two years ago I got a notices saying that DMV wanted $10.00 to keep it on the books. I guess they wanted to make sure it was still in use. That's all I paid for it. I also have a Honda Quad that I pay $52.00 per years for renewal tags.


New Member
Try Michigan.
We have forever tags on trailers. Fee is by weight. Under 2500 is $75 for a forever tag, plus title fees. Just cost me $152 for the one I just picked up, including title fee, tax and a $15 late fee for dragging my feet !!


Mar 28, 2020
Technically if you tell your insurance company you live in a state you do not, that's insurance fraud.
Probably never find out as long as you don't have a claim...but best not to, as it is illegal.


Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Ohio for my PUP was about $60 a year. My utility trailer is about $40. I've lived where it was worse and better. It is just part of life....


Super Active Member
Aug 12, 2015
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Perhaps the Virginia Permanent Trailer option may be best for you. All you have to do is find a county with low taxes other than Fairfax and say you store the trailer there. The registration can show your Maryland address.
You’ll just have to keep it out of sight from the street or your neighbors so that they don’t complain that you’re not paying local taxes I guess. Good luck!
Last edited:


Dec 28, 2016
Probably opening a can of worms here, but aside from (not so) gray legal areas there's something that just isn't right at all about cheating this specific system. There's a reason registration fees are structured the way they are within a given jurisdiction. I've never even thought about trying to register a car or trailer through a bogus address. Why would you want to fund access to and maintenance of infrastructure for residents of another state? That then shifts the funding burden for the infrastructure that you enjoy near home to your neighbors who do the right thing while you enjoy the benefit of their contribution without paying your fair share. You'll have then forfeited any right to complain about the condition of that infrastructure that enables your travel to and from work, the grocery store, your kid's school, and your favorite nearby campground.
Last edited: