PopupGizmos has a question for Relfectix users

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by popupgizmo, Feb 24, 2010.

1. theroys88

theroys88 VA is for Lovers....and Campers!

We would be interested. Love the Gizmo's and haven't done the
    relfectix yet...so let us know and keep us on your mailing list.
    Dawn

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

I used two rolls for my Palomino - ran about $60. I had enough to go under the mattresses too.

I think a $60 price range is a good deal.

I also like the idea of a 'wrap around' design. When my first round of of space blankets got some age on them, I used them to make 'winter' covers with a flap down over the ends of the bunks. With the experience you guys have, I'd consider a Gizmo that comes down both sides and the ends. This kind of cover would present a solid cover from the wind and 'seal' all the heat inside that was there.

I'll be looking to see what you end up offering!!!

3. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Bob, may I just say that I think it is fantastic that you come to forums such as this! not only does you and your company offer practical products and reasonable pricing on current products, but you sincerely rely on the input and ideas from the consumer and potential customers !

THANK YOU !

that being put out there, I think that if you were to offer the entire camper's window panel sets for as cheap as you are saying, and with as great a quality as your gizmos, you would do extremely well !

reading here that the cost for a DIY reflectix job has averaged $100 + the time and labor to complete the project I would consider it an easy choice. I would take Direct Fit over DIY if it meant saving both time and money overall....

add on pieces for unde the matresses/bunkends could be a small fee add on, also divider or privacy curtains could be a consideration .

thanks again for taking the time and ask our opinion !

4. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Well, I have the super high wind gizmos and boy do they work well. I have been extremely pleased with the product. I did the reflectix under the bunkends and for the windows, about $60 if my memory serves me right. I would purchase a set of window gizmos immediately if not sooner, but the set would have to include the back window and both front windows as well. Since were on the subject, how about a door cover as well. That sucker gets cold. I would be willing to pay the same for the windows as I paid for the bunkend gizmos because the quality is there.
    MR

5. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

That sounds about what I paid also. I was thinking it took me one roll to do just the bunk ends (2 kings) and with a lot of tape I was able to piece all the scrap pieces together to do under one bunk mattress. I would think it would take 2-3 25' rolls to do the whole thing.

I would buy them from you Bob. Being able to leave them in the windows cuts way down on my setup/take down time. And with small kids my time is very valuable. I would think $60-75 would be fair price for 2 king bunkends. To hold it in place you could attach a zipper so it would zip into the windows (similar to the AAR) and stay in place but that would drive up your costs. [2C]

6. dfab

dfab New Member

Hi Bob I have only ben on this site for less than a month and reflex mods are all over it. Your price point is grate , even low I think . Just some ideas for you like have them zipp in , how many different zippers can thier be , and some one came up with colors to match the canvas thats a grate idea. build it and they will come

7. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

After more discussion at the shop this morning we have a concern...this was pointed out during the course of this thread.

Getting the inserts dimensionally correct won't be a problem and making the inserts conform the "general" shape of the window's curves can be done. But note I wrote "general". I think we have a workable idea to guide customer's on how the measure the windows when placing an order...we're going to have to do some test runs with the idea of course. The issue we're concerned about is getting the inserts to follow exactly all the curves of any given window. Now, I do believe we can and would be very close in most cases. But the probability of getting each insert exactly matching a window is not ideal...a 1/2" here, a 1/2" there for example...either too large or too short could happen.

To further this issue, here's an example of how even a well know bunk size could have different window sizes...even if only by an inch or less: Fleetwood king size bunks have not changed in size since 1996. Yet once on a blue moon we get an order for Fleetwood kings, we'll ship the covers and then get a report back from the customer telling us the covers are too short by 3-4 inches. What we discovered is that on rare occasions, a trailer will come out of Fleetwood that has slightly longer top canvases...and yep, even 3-4 inches too short on a cover is a problem.

So this means that if we made a fixed size window insert for Fleetwood kings, there will be sooner or later a window insert that will not fit perfectly since I have no doubt that there will be inconsistencies with-in the same trailer models...as I noted, even and inch or two could matter.

So at this point, next question is how to manage this potential issue. Send out window inserts only to have them possibly not conform to the window's shape perfectly would not be the best way to go about this.

Currently, we considering the idea of making all the inserts slightly over sized...by say an inch, but only on the radius contours. So we're going to play with this, make some samples and see how well a slightly over sized insert will zip up in a window.

One suggestion here is to attend rallies and measure as many popups as possible. And I still like the idea...'cause I like rallies!. But after further consideration, when you take into account the variations that could exist with the same model trailers AND the fact that even with over 500 model trailers currently listed in our data base for top bunk cover sizes we still have to ask customers to measure sometimes...this whole exact sizing challenge for window inserts may be too daunting to solve.

Stay tuned...

Bob

PS: You know, this is pretty neat when you think about it. We're all involved here with the development of a product idea...being done in real time. That's one of the advantages of small companies...we can move fast. And even more important, we're being privileged to be able to develop the idea with the most valuable asset we have, our customers...many thanks guys.

8. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

This is just me talking here, so you can take it for what it's worth, but is it a bad thing if the insert is a little bit oversized? Couldn't you just fold it to the correct size for your window then zip it in? While an undersized cover could certainly be a problem, it would seem to me that a little tuck here and there to fit the cover wouldn't be a problem at all. That would also pare down the number of patterns you'd need to develop.

I also think the "full canvas drape" like Steve's idea has it's merits. Maybe offer an accessory cover that clips to the regular Gizmo on the outside of the trailer that could be rolled up or down as needed.

9. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I think the 'slightly oversized' idea might work. For a few dollars more, I'd be happy for you to include some paper sheets cut to a 'universal' shape. I'd much rather spend a little time getting paper patterns sized right before I start chopping on the inserts!

10. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hi Bob...

When I did my E3 it took 2 rolls to do all of my windows.

I'd be intrested in the $60 buck range to replace the inserts with your matierial. Or better yet a full cover arangement would be better for me in the desert.

[​IMG]

11. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Here's another possibility based on what I do with my own camper...

I don't use inserts in the windows nor do I use outside side curtains...mainly because wind is a real management issue with outside curtains...we're tried it. (Though it can be done but cost would be an issue)

What I do is line the inside of my bunk side panels with our material...from top to bottom. This gives total coverage...not just the windows. To keep the material in place, I tuck it between the support bow on the end of the bunk for the end bunk window and then tuck it at the bottom under the mattress. For the sides I tuck a corner of the material again under the support bow and then clamp the material off at the other end of the bunk to the inside of the roof...there's a little lip I can clamp to. Then, as with the end bunk cover, I tuck the side bunk covers under the mattress.

If someone can tell me how to post photo here I can show you how it looks.

How does it work?...OMG...we woke up sweating on our last cold weather trip...low was 28 degrees and we were only running one ceramic heater. Wind, cold, whatever...we're never cold with this set-up.

What do you think? It does make the inside of your trailer look like a space ship...is that a problem?

12. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

This is what I do to post a picture Bob.

Sign into Webshots.
    Choose the photo you wish to use.
    Click on "Link To It" in the menu on the right.
    Select the photo size of 500 or 600. Do not exceed 600 Pixels.
    Highlight and copy the URL (Link) in the "Direct Link to Image" option
    Go to the forum thread where you wish to post the image.
    Choose "Reply" (Do not use the "Quick reply Box").
    Type your reply and when you want to insert the picture in your reply, click the "Insert Image" button located in the top tool bar.
    Paste the Link you copied from Webshots between the symbols.
    Click on Preview
    Continue with your posting and when finished, click "Post".

13. bud121156

Bob, if you move ahead on this window insert project, are you gonna be using the same rigid reflectix material we buy at Lowes, or are you gonna be using the thin non-rigid material like you use for gizmos?

After re reading your original post, I see the answer to my question.

14. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

Hi Bob,

I am curious about what you were thinking of to hold the inserts in place in the window?

15. bud121156

Our window inserts are not cut out for a perfect fit. I am a little long in some spots and a little short in a spot or two. The insert in this picture is a little long lengthwise. You can see a crease in the middle where it's bunched up a little.

[​IMG]

I purposely cut my first "pattern" insert a little big, then started trimming to fit. Then I had a good pattern to go with for the next one.

I too am curious how you would secure a non-rigid material in the bunkends?

16. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

Bob,

2004 Fleetwood Westlake - 2 king bunks, no bump/slide out

I made reflectix panels for all my windows, including the small one next to the Thetford, and made two panels for under the mattresses. I believe I used two rolls of 4'x25'...and a couple rolls of metal duct tape. An oddity that I included is a window or two in each of the large panels. The window is only cut on three sides leaving a flap that can be closed if desired....it is nice to be able to see outside a little bit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my experience, the corners are the most important area to obtain a good fit...there can be problems zipping up if there is an error in size measurement. I test fitted the panels prior to finishing off with the tape.

Good luck with the business decisions!

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I enjoy the R value (low but greater than zero) of double bubble Reflectix over such a large area. If I had air conditioning, I'd use 'em in the summer also.
    $40 for a 4x25' roll with plenty left over.

18. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

I don't own any gizmos and have a roll of reflectix that I was planning to make my own gizmos this spring. I did have a thought and wanted to add my [2C] worth.

Bob, you mentioned lining the interior sides of the pup with gizmo material...why not have an interior gizmo that lines the entire interior portion of the bunk (including the ceiling) and include zippers on the side panels to allow the windows to be opened if desired. The top and sides could be zipped together for use during PU setup before installing the sheppard's hook. This way if the sides and top are a little long it won't be an issue as the gizmo is inside the PU and it would still have the insulation value, resistance to the wind, and UV damage resistance. Perhaps the visible portions of the gizmo inside could be colored tan or covered in thin fabric so that you won't have the impression of being inside a spaceship.

19. candleems

candleems Member

Bob,

I think I bought one roll 4x50 of Reflectix. I think I paid $50-60 for it at Lowes, not sure anymore. Plus the tape for it. I did ALL my windows, not just the bunk ends. I laid it out w/ a marker on the Reflectix before cutting so I could get the most out of it. I might have had a 1ft x 2ft section left (if you tape all the scraps together) that I didn't use. I certainly didn't have enough left to even construct a cooler cover.

We use them every trip. Even if just for the darkness they offer for later sleeping on summer morning.

20. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Check this photo out of the interior solar solution.

[​IMG]