PopUpPortal.com Supporting Member Fundraiser, Ad Free

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I would also prefer it not to be highlighted. I'd be good with just "Supporting Member".

I do like the idea of it just saying supporting member and not identifying their monetary level. It would show that the poster is dedicated to the site - which to me is a positive thing for others to know. But how much they donate should stay behind the scenes since it has no bearing on their knowledge, skill, expertise or dedication.

And in all honesty, the donation amount is likely to change each year depending on individual circumstances, so why focus on that over the act of giving itself.

If I donate $20 this year, it will mean a lot more than had I donated $100 last year, due to my current situation. Next year who knows.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
The last thread I started here, I got tons of very rude replies. I am pretty much only posting on the popup groups on Facebook from now on.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
The last thread I started here, I got tons of very rude replies. I am pretty much only posting on the popup groups on Facebook from now on.
Last 2 of your threads I see, one about awning poles ( I advised, helpfully I think) and one about your long trip. I see nothing rude in them.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
Last 2 of your threads I see, one about awning poles ( I advised, helpfully I think) and one about your long trip. I see nothing rude in them.
Those are not the posts I am referring to. I had posted about an incident we had recently where one of my countertops got damaged and I got a ton of very rude replies. I finally asked that the moderators just remove the post entirely. So, I will not be supporting this site.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
I do like the idea of it just saying supporting member and not identifying their monetary level. It would show that the poster is dedicated to the site - which to me is a positive thing for others to know. But how much they donate should stay behind the scenes since it has no bearing on their knowledge, skill, expertise or dedication.

And in all honesty, the donation amount is likely to change each year depending on individual circumstances, so why focus on that over the act of giving itself.

If I donate $20 this year, it will mean a lot more than had I donated $100 last year, due to my current situation. Next year who knows.

completely agree with this. Last year I likely would have donated $100. This year, I haven’t worked since April, so yeah, not likely gonna happen

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Those are not the posts I am referring to. I had posted about an incident we had recently where one of my countertops got damaged and I got a ton of very rude replies. I finally asked that the moderators just remove the post entirely. So, I will not be supporting this site.

If you stop posting on every forum where you get a few rude posts to one thread, you may as well stay away from all forums.

Yes, folks were rude, but it was only a small percentage of the total posts. That will always happen in a forum. If you consider the overall posts, there are very few negatives here. I can name a couple posters who have attitudes, but even they offer good advice. In the end, that is about the individual poster NOT the forum as a whole.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
If you stop posting on every forum where you get a few rude posts to one thread, you may as well stay away from all forums.

Yes, folks were rude, but it was only a small percentage of the total posts. That will always happen in a forum. If you consider the overall posts, there are very few negatives here. I can name a couple posters who have attitudes, but even they offer good advice. In the end, that is about the individual poster NOT the forum as a whole.

I know there will always be rude people. I am on lots of different forums for a wide range of things and this forum had the most rude attacking comments that I have had in years. It just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Over the last couple of years I shared my experience with my popup and offered my advice where I could. I will just be reading comments and not sharing my experience or advice.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I know there will always be rude people. I am on lots of different forums for a wide range of things and this forum had the most rude attacking comments that I have had in years. It just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Over the last couple of years I shared my experience with my popup and offered my advice where I could. I will just be reading comments and not sharing my experience or advice.

Why bother at all then? The purpose of a forum is to share. If you aren't cimfortable sharing, then you're better off spending your time reading blogs and watching you tube videos.

I'm not trying to be mean, but forums like this only work if folks share their experiences and advice. If everyone stops sharing, then the forum dies.

Jeep Guy

Mar 7, 2018
Why bother at all then? The purpose of a forum is to share. If you aren't cimfortable sharing, then you're better off spending your time reading blogs and watching you tube videos.

I'm not trying to be mean, but forums like this only work if folks share their experiences and advice. If everyone stops sharing, then the forum dies.
I agree, I would rather share my experience of what I have learned and give advice where I could. I was trying to give advice on my process of replacing my countertop and I got lots and lots of rude attacking comments. If people want the this forum to survive, maybe they should not attack and be rude to those sharing their experience or giving advice. I am just tired of the rude comments and I don't feel like reading them anymore when I try to share my experience. I was brand new to pop-up camping a few years ago and I learned a ton that I could have shared with other new campers. Sadly people here would rather attack and be rude.

Last edited:

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

That was a very unfortunate thread. You did nothing wrong and the first day or so of replies seemed fine to me, and then suddenly everyone started calling you a jerk.

It was them, not you. Stick around please.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

This thread was over and above a few rude replies. He used a hyperbole similar to "my kid crashed my car for the second time this year, I'm gonna kill him" and people started calling him a horrible person for wanting to "kill his kid". The replies went on and on about how horrible he was for saying such a thing (again it wasn't this, but similar). He took them well at first, better than I would have, but then they just kept coming...

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
This thread was over and above a few rude replies. He used a hyperbole similar to "my kid crashed my car for the second time this year, I'm gonna kill him" and people started calling him a horrible person for wanting to "kill his kid". The replies went on and on about how horrible he was for saying such a thing (again it wasn't this, but similar). He took them well at first, better than I would have, but then they just kept coming...

I only saw a few posts that attacked him. However, they were extremely rude and uncalled for.

My point is that you will always get those few posters who go way beyond acceptable. Sometimes, it's just a subject that is personal to them. Occasionally, it's just a poster who likes to be a jerk and/or thinks they are all that. For the former, you just move on and realize it was an uncommon circumstance. For the latter, you block them.

Most folks here are really decent folks. Why punish them for those few?