PopUpPortal non-profit fund for campers with Special Needs

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by ChocoChock01, Mar 20, 2014.

1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Over a campfire at a recent rally this idea was spawned and is now just getting started!!

[​IMG]

All of us read/see the challenges some of our fellow campers may have and can only offer our well intended comments, so the suggest came up of to how help in a small way.

A non-profit fund has been set up for PopUpPortal campers to to help other campers with Special Needs camp more! It will provide up to $150 / yr. to reimburse campground fees to "qualified" individuals and families. We have an account set up and a web link for donations through PayPal:

http://www.sandiegodownsyndrome.org/popup-portal

We will be making announcements on applications, but tomorrow 3/21/2014 is World Down Syndrome Day. "World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) is a global awareness day which has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012."

http://www.worlddownsyndromeday.org/wdsd-2014

This is a great way to help other campers with Special Needs and Challenges!

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

A GREAT idea and will donate asap. [8D]

3. cahillprc2

cahillprc2 Member

As a family with two young adults on the Autism Spectrum and on behalf of every family with special needs children we thank you. This is a wonderful and compassionate gesture. Fortunately for our family financial needs are well taken care of but when the boys were younger and expenses were hefty, this would have been very much appreciated. We'll be sure to contribute and thanks again.

4. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

What a great idea! I will be donating for sure.

5. drewnkat

drewnkat New Member

Great idea!

Just a heads-up, something seems to have gone haywire with the board, no matter what link I click, I can't access any other topics, they all re-direct to this one. Is it just me or is it a board glitch?

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

We gathered from all over the state. Fellow campers arrived at the campground in Joshua Trees National Park following one of the longest drives I have taken since acquiring my new pup. Ten hours of pulling in anticipation of this mid winter event. Pulling in, setting up and greetings from friends long since seen, Denise and I were ready for a refreshment. The desert was warm, the sun was high and a gentle breeze was blowing. The weather couldn't have been better. We watched as fellow Portal People (as we affectionately call the folks in our group) pulled in and eventually meandered their way through the campground and greeted each other. At some point, we became aware that a very energetic little boy came bustling into camp quickly followed by a matter of fact man who, unlike a doting parent, introduced himself while routinely following the boy with his eyes and bleated out direction mid sentences without skipping a beat. He called to the boy so he could be properly introduced to our small quorum. The boy immediately came barreling in like a ball player sliding into third base during the World Series. He stopped promptly and leaned his back between his dad's legs at his feet. He looked up at us,high, since his ball cap was pulled down close to his eyes. He grinned wide as his dad introduced themselves as Ryan (Dad) and Patrick.

We were all immediately greeted by Patrick's charm and it was apparent that he wasn't at all apprehensive about meeting complete strangers. It was clear that this little boy was well versed at these type of gatherings and this one was not his first rodeo. After several minutes of conversation regarding the chronicles of Patrick, Ryan explained that Patrick is Down Syndrome. He decided that since leaving the military, he wanted to spend as much time as possible with Patrick, traveling and being in the outdoors before he (Patrick) is in school full time and not able to. Ryan went on that he and Patrick live in San Diego and had put on about 20,000 miles last year. Ryan figured that travel and exposure to different places and people would help his young son in the future and provide them with a close relationship while seeing the country and doing it in a well used pop up trailer.

All weekend long we enjoyed Patrick's company. He won the hearts of every person in the campground and those who encountered him. It was apparent that he is a bright youngster who loves to be with people. Inquisitive and mischievousness he is like any other little 5 year old boy who needs constant direction and limitations. Ryan does a fantastic job of accomplishing all of the things a child with special needs has to have and absolutely refuses the disability as an excuse for poor behavior. It was refreshing to see Ryan provide Patrick with choices when his behavior was undesirable and explained the pro's and con's of his choices and let him decide. All of which add to Patrick's charm and reinforces the concept that his disability is not disabling at all.

We talked of the challenges that Ryan and others face raising a special needs child and more over, doing it while camping. We all wanted to help in some way and wondered how we could help Patrick and similar families camping. We figured that if we could at least augment the expenses of camping it would enable those families to camp more. So, in keeping with the goals and spirit of Pop Up Portal we thought a thread dedicated to the furtherance of special needs families pop up camping was the most appropriate and effective. This thread will provide a Portal (pun intended) in which other Portal members can contribute if you choose to help. It is a worthwhile cause and is a small gesture for us. It's a big one for those families may be struggling to find a few moments of camping bliss with their special needs child.

Thank you for your support.

John & Denise Hardey
    94-D2

7. ChocoChock01

We gathered from all over CA and AZ, unfortunately NV needed to cancel....

John, thanks for your expressing the impact that Patrick had on all of us!
    Thus, we have already seen how the synergy of the portal can make a difference!

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Thank you all!!

I have a very bad situation I am dealing with right now, but will be back when it is over.

9. Haybale

In a day filled with tears of sorrow, you brought many many tears of joy when I had a chance to read this!!

Thank you, more than you could ever know.

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

It is truely my pleasure my friend. My words are a small gesture in the shadow of the enormouse endeavor you navigate. I am glad they have provided joy in an otherwise adverse period for you. My hope is that it passes and you are better. [SUN]

11. ChocoChock01

A picture I keep remembering was Patrick in Denises' lap at the campfire [CP] both having fun!!

12. Haybale

Here ya go!

Yep all eyes on him!! And he loved it all, He sure thought the campfire pop corn was pretty neat!!

13. ChocoChock01

PopUpPortal non-profit fund for campers with Special Needs UPDATE

Work in progress:
    Always investigate non-profits to make sure they are doing what they say!!!
    • we PopUpPortal People (PUPP) are organizing the committee which will review applications and make selection that will be forwarded to San Diego Down Syndrome Org (SDDS). SDDS will handle ALL financial transactions. PUPP will never handle the money, just direct who qualifies from the Policies & Guidelines established
    • create and post the applications
    Our desire is to have and fund applications ASAP.

14. sarahkovac

sarahkovac Camping with 2 adults, preschooler, baby, lhasa!

So will you only accept apps from families dealing with Down Syndrome?

15. TCwheels

TCwheels "All who wander are not lost..."

Donated

16. ChocoChock01

NO!

That is the reason we are taking some time to clarify "Special Needs".

This is the 501.c 3 organization of which one of our members is associated with that has set up a separate account for PopUp Portal donations.

They will administer the program but the committee will direct where grants will be applied, according to both their guidelines and the committees guidelines.

The intention is PUPP (PupUpPortal People) as a group can help our fellow campers w special needs camp more!

So to answer your question, it will NOT be limited to Down Syndrome (this little camper just motivated the idea)!!! :)

17. ChocoChock01

Thank you, you are making this happen!

We are hoping to have the application finished in April (after Tax season) and start accepting applications.

18. sarahkovac

sarahkovac Camping with 2 adults, preschooler, baby, lhasa!

Well that's just awesome. What a great idea!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

19. ChocoChock01

As another members proposed the idea, this is in line w what PopUpPortal has been doing for years.....
    helping other campers.

As many members as there are on here small contributions can make this concept grow! :)

20. ChocoChock01

We would also like any persons or families who would like to share their camping experiences and difficulties, please do. It was our exposure at a rally that spawned this idea....please share.