PopUpPortal non-profit fund for campers with Special Needs

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by ChocoChock01, Mar 20, 2014.

1. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Still working on the application, so stay tuned in!

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

10-4 [8D]

3. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I have had quite a bit going on lately, and do plan on writing a few stories up about Patty Daddy adventures!!

One recent story while we camped in Potrero CP, it had been 6-8 weeks since the last time we had camped there and even longer since we seen/heard a screech owl. Patrick heard a Screech Owl and said screech owl daddy. I know most kids learn that a typical owl makes a hoo hoo sound but with all the nights out and him asking questions really hits home to me that he is learning from camping.

Just today, as we packed up from a weekend at William Heise CP, Patrick always helps me pack and is getting the groove down of where things go, what goes in the empty wood tote (empty Tupperware/1lb propane cylinders, recyclables), what toys he wants in the car vs leave in the pup, and picking up any trash scraps that are laying around the site. Today after everything was packed up, hooked up, the last thing is a ratchet strap across the top to hold things down (cheaper and easier than replacing the worn out latches), well the extra 'tail' of the strap goes in the top of the pup door (with a knot so it stays put) and latch the hasp and lock the pad lock. I was double checking the bike/car/pup and walked back to that side where Patty was and he was just locking the pad lock and had the strap in the door..... This isn't a step I have showed him, well intentionally at least, because after he cranks the roof down (I have not cranked the roof down yet, 29 nights of camping, Patty said that is his job) he normally reads a book or explores the immediate area while I finish things up.

My DS Patrick is 5yo, happens to have Down Syndrome (yes my DS has DS, I use DS daily which made the change of use here difficult... lol) so if anyone wants to ask questions about Patrick/me/Down Syndrome feel free to message me, I can also direct you if I don't have the answer!!

4. ChocoChock01

Good to hear the two of you camping again!

5. sarahkovac

sarahkovac Camping with 2 adults, preschooler, baby, lhasa!

I have a disability called AMC, which left my arms pretty much useless. This means my husband has to do most of the work setting up/tearing down while I watch the kids. I'm so excited to use the PuP this year for the first time. The bones in my arms and shoulders are small and fragile, so actually being on a mattress may mean getting real sleep. Hallelujah!

6. ChocoChock01

Thank you for sharing for us to understand.

7. Haybale

8. Campergal40

Campergal40 I smell like a campfire!

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the popup portal. I just saw this post about the non-profit fund for campers with special needs. I'd like to learn more about what qualifies as a special need (there are so many "special needs" out there from mental to physical and otherwise) and who is this fund really for? Someone mentioned an application process or application but I didn't see a link for the application to find out more info. Is there someone in particular I could email about this? Thanks!
    Campergal40
    4/23/14

9. ChocoChock01

That someone would be me. You can PM me and it will keep very personal stuff (this is all very personal) off the "open" forum.

The application will follow the guidelines we and the non-profit org. needs to follow to ensure we keep the non-profit status. Its all with good intention to allow these organization to exist. AND San Diego Down Syndrome Org. as well as the Portal group are volunteer groups and so 90% donations will go out as grants (10% is cost for hosting / accounting the PopUp Portal account).

So, there is a lot of e-paperwork to do and we will get the link up as quickly as possible. Stay tuned to this thread (click on the NOTIFY tab on top) AND when it is ready to post applications PopUpSteve will post a banner announcing it!!

I am also trying to get a camping trip in this weekend w DS, so that is really going to squeeze me on time!!

10. ChocoChock01

The Application is being reviewed and should be available by month end.

Who ever is interested can PM me w an email address, and I will send an application when they are ready to be released.

Please if you feel like you can contribute small amounts, all these grants will be subject to funds available.

11. ChocoChock01

The N-F-P is now up and running, and we are accepting applications. The funds will be limited until we can get the word out that small amounts will go to help out our fellow campers. I believe this truly adds another dimension of social value to this site.

PM me with your email address and I will forward the application.

12. ChocoChock01

Thank you for your continual donations!

Please PM me for applications if you would like to participate.

ChocoChock01

13. Haybale

For people seeing this post as a guest how do they get the application? Is there an e-mail you can post or am I missing something? I have a friends asking!

Thanks again for everyone involved with this!!

14. ChocoChock01

PM me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

15. ChocoChock01

Are you still having problems w this link?

http://www.sandiegodownsyndrome.org/popup-portal

16. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Nope, worked for me [:D]

17. ChocoChock01

popupportalnfp.01@gmail.com

18. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Link for email?? I know non members who may donate as well. [8D]

19. ChocoChock01

Use the email, if they don't want to sign into the forum.

popupportalnfp.01@gmail.com for the application otherwise

the link to donate is:

http://www.sandiegodownsyndrome.org/popup-portal

We are reducing the amount granted until there fund builds up a little to be able to give it to as many who qualify.

20. Haybale

Posting the e-mail is a great idea!! Thanks