Popups be poppin' up all over the place!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by xvz12, Jul 22, 2019.

1. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I've noticed a BUNCH of popups being towed around our area recently. Usually, I'm lucky to see 1 or 2 on the road in a month's time,now I' seeing several around every day! Took a long motorcycle ride Sunday, & saw a cool half-dozen! Don't know what's up, but glad to see there's still an interest in them. Maybe the manufacturers will notice & start ramping up production again......well, we can always hope...lol.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

That would be nice! Personally I would rather see manufacturers ramp up their quality over numbers produced! ...oh well, I can still dream [::)]

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

If the quality got better then the portal would be less relevant!

MyName, Bigantlers and chefaleslie like this.
  4. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Last time i went camping there were 4 popups (counting us) in a row. Only got to talk to one couple. We were there only 1 day for my Nephew's Graduation. They had a Rockwood they bought new in 2000. The wife wanted to see how a dinette slide out looked and said their next one will have a slide out! That's pretty much the most Popups i've seen all together on a camping trip.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I saw a couple on our recent road trip for a funeral and college visit. However I have noticed that I rarely see newer ones. Most appear to be pre 2010 vintage.

campfire Joe and Orchid like this.
  6. liz.s

liz.s New Member

I always see quite a few in Ontario parks. At least half or more of the RVs are pop-ups.

Tulip, kskelloggs and campfire Joe like this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

There were several PUPs at our local SP last June. One was brand new (first trip out), a couple late models, but most were late 90s to mid 2000s. There were a few rolling condos with very noisy owners just down from us that thankfully left on Sunday. A couple MHs came in spent one night and left? There is a two night minimum. There was a homemade teardrop with a rooftop tent that was impressive. PUPs outnumbered all other types of campers.

momofEAP, campfire Joe and Orchid like this.
  8. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

We bought our PUP because we wanted an RV but couldn't tow a TT/HTT. A couple points to make on your post:
    • Re: interest in them: there will always be. PUPs are easy to store, can be towed by any TV, are low cost and great for using a few times throughout the year to smooth out the rough edges of tent camping. PUPs will (as they rightfully should) always be around.
    • Re: increasing production: as a PUP owner, you benefit from a small inventory. Used PUPs are hard to find and hold their value remarkably well. The fact that few year old PUPs only depreciate a couple thousand and 10-20 year old PUPs still run a few thousand dollars is amazing. Current owners want to maintain low inventory and moderate demand.
    In the last 5 years since buying our PUP, RV makers really made strides in the small TT department. Many of these 15', 17' and 19' are marketed directly to crossover and minivan drivers. I'm afraid that once people compare similarly priced PUPs/HWs to small TT/HTT, it will be an easy decision.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

There's a place for all of them. For a young family, those small TTs won't be enough room. A popup gives them a lot more sleeping room than any small TT. For an older couple wanting to travel more, the small TTs can't be beat.

I have a small motorhome and a hard-sided popup. They are both RVs, but have so many differences that they can't replace each other.

I remember watching a newstory about Russians coming to the U.S. and seeing our grocery stores for the first time. It was pointed out how choices can be good or bad. Looking at the vegetable section and seeing the large variety of vegetables was wonderful. Seeing all the choices of ketchup was debiilitating - how do you choose between them, they are all ketchup.

Having a lot full of TTs with very minor differences doesn't create choice. It just makes settling for a particular TT more difficult. Having a lot full of TTs, 5ers, MHs, and popups allows you to find the right product for your individual needs and wants.

10. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

I have noticed quite a few pop ups in my area lately. Within 5 miles there are at least 5 or so.

Where we usually camp over July Fourth there was quite a few.

HappyTraveler and campfire Joe like this.
  11. Oldshirt

Oldshirt Member

Spent 4 nights in the PUP 2 weeks ago around Stanley ID on the Salmon River and was amazed by the number of PUPs and TTS throughout the area. Probably close to a fourth of all campers were using them. Going back in 10 days!!!

HappyTraveler and campfire Joe like this.
  12. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I too have been noticing a lot more pop ups than I used to see. However, I think there are a whole lot more people out camping than ever before.

HappyTraveler and Pommom70 like this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've rarely see less than two other pop ups on our loop when camping at a state park. The usual number is 2 or 3 besides us. That's stayed pretty steady over the years. I don't see any increase.

I do notice more of them on the road these days. They always draw my attention.

Even so, I don't recall ever seeing a new one, either on the road or camping. I always see pups around the same age as ours.

campfire Joe, HappyTraveler and xvz12 like this.
  14. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

We saw lots of them when we travelled to Canada, but not so many in the States.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  15. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We're in private cg in Southern MN with 135 sites. Besides us, there are 4 more pups here. There are also about that many tents and the rest are the full gambit of TTs.

campfire Joe likes this.
  16. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I see in your signature that you're towing a Jayco 184BS with a Honda Odyssey. How is that going for you? I'm towing my pop up with a Honda Odyssey. I'd love to upgrade to a TT but gave up hope looking for something that the Odyssey could tow. Would love to get your insight!

17. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I just spent a couple weeks in Banff, Jasper and Yoho and saw lots of RVs. I’d say 1/4th of them were pop ups. Another forth were private RVs. With half being rentals.
    I had considered renting but I honestly didn’t want to be parking in town and trailheads with one!

myride and campfire Joe like this.
  18. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

I sort of went off on a towing tangent elsewhere (in my love for the DARK side thread) and provided feedback on my setup there.
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/dark-side-is-good-side.125535/page-2#post-1293570
    Check that out. I can answer additional, specific questions if you post in that thread.

19. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

A few weekends ago we had gone to Cooks Forest State Park (PA) and counted over 20 pop ups in the campground. It's been by far the most pop ups we've seen in one single park so far and was pretty neat to see all the different types and models. [Guitar]

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  20. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

If I stand at the end of my driveway I can see 3 pup's and 1 hybrid as well as mine in the back yard. This maybe a quarter mile to the main road. I know there are several RV's of various design in and around my neighborhood.

Orchid likes this.