Popups be poppin' up all over the place!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by xvz12, Jul 22, 2019.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I was towing mine one time and pulled into a gas stop in Greenville MS... A Police car pulled in right behind me... I'm thinking What have I done now haha...

The Police officer gets out and says I like to look your popup over if you don't mind... Thinking about getting one haha... The front deck on mine always turns their heads everywhere... I even raised the roof to let him look around haha...

[​IMG]
    Google image

You can just hear them thinking I can put my jeri cans here, my tent bag here, etc, etc,...

Between this front deck and my covered and secured truck bed folding panels I can carry some serious camping items and supplies...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

I'm curious Roybraddy, I have the Starcraft Star Shuttle 2104 with the toy hauler deck up front. Yours is much larger. Can your sides double as ramps? Mine just swing open to the sides.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I like your setup Roy. [8D]

4. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

There was 1 other pup last camping trip for us. The guy came by to ask how the awning setup.... Unfortunately I couldn't help because I didn't know either. Lol... Turns out mine is missing the part to hold the poles under the bag.

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I think the popularity of pop ups varies depending on state / region. Generally speaking when I am in the Pacific Northwest, I tend to see a lot more pop ups, and truck campers. Down here in the south, I tend to see way more travel trailers, and Class As. When I move further north, say like on our trips to Arkansas, Tennesee etc... I tend to see more Class B and Class C campers, and fewer towables.

Fifth wheels seem to stay about equal everywhere I have been.

Now certain events seem to draw more of one type or another. There is a motorcyle week thing held in Galveston every year, and I tend to see a LOT of fifth wheel toy haulers, and motorcylcles towing tiny pop ups heading south on the gulf freeway...

I will say it again, as far as towables go, pop ups on the used market, tend to represent the best value for what you are getting, and given the fact I have seen more than a few small / mid size pop ups with 15K BTU roof ACs. My first adult pop up experience was with such a unit on a 100 degree weekend, the AC kept up just fine...

6. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Just returned from 3 day camping trip at Tims Ford State Park in Southern Middle Tennessee. Out of 52 sites 9 were pups. Most I have seen in a long time

7. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

In addition to the 4 that were next to us in July, on our Sept trip to Fish creek campground we had one on each side of us.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Our last trip was in August to a private campground near Wisconsin Dells. We were in the full hook-up area and we were one of 4 pop-ups in a row! Very surprising for the full hook-up section (I like it because we have the built-in black tank and do utilize the sewer connection). Another was my SIL & BIL who bought our old PUP. I have a feeling the other two were there because there were no more WE sites available.

9. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

In our area in Ohio pop ups are all over the place. There are probably at least 10 in an eight mile radius around our house. There are also quite a few on the Facebook market place. That is where we found ours.
    There are usually four or more where we going camping. My husband is always on the lookout for pop ups.

campfire Joe likes this.
  10. hammb

hammb Member

Not sure where in Ohio you're located but up here in the Toledo area is the same.

It actually baffles me that everytime I ask for something in Camping World their first response is, "We don't really cater to popups," and they don't have a single popup on their lot. Some of the other dealers do keep a couple of them on the lots, but we went to the RV show in Toledo last winter and there was not a traditional popup in the entire show. They say there is no market for popups.

Yet, my Craigslist alerts for popups (before we got ours last year) got daily hits for new ones coming on the markets. Facebook marketplace is full of used popups (that's where we found ours). I have a 5 mile commute to work and drive past 3-4 of them in people's driveways every day. Every camping trip we take we see a good number of them in the parks around here/Michigan.

I love popups, you get so much space for your money and it still feels like camping (to me), unlike the larger TTs & 5ers I've been in.

11. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

We live in southwest Ohio, lots of popups in this area. We have a couple of RV centers close to us. They have some traditional popups, but mostly hybrid types for new ones.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That's why I don't do business there. The CW near me had a used PUP, but the salesman couldn't be bothered to show it. Instead he insisted we look at some hybreds, they are "better" than a PUP.

13. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

After we decided we wanted a PUP, our very first stop on day one of our search was CW. Seemed like a reasonable place to start knowing nothing about RVs or the industry. After walking through the entire lot without seeing a single PUP, we found and asked a salesman "where are the PUPs?" who responded just like yours: "CW stopped selling those a few years ago due to poor sales and lack of interest. (That was about 4 years ago, so he would have meant about 8 years ago, or around 2011 if his statement was true.) Have you thought about upgrading your minivan?" I'm like, "Okay, well our minivan is just fine and we're looking for a PUP, so adios." Since then, I've never stepped foot in CW, and instead, bought a PUP, then a TT, and many accessories from a small, local RV dealer.

I think about that interaction every time I pass that CW (Saukville, WI). Still to this day blows my mind that CW blows off an entire PUP market. That costs them business from lifelong PUP lovers and repeat buyers, budget conscious or starter RVers, and campers limited by minivans/small SUVs. Crazy.

14. hammb

hammb Member

The thing that really irritates me is the attitude. IF they don't see a market to sell popups, that's fine. It's their business, and it is obviously working for them. But every time I ask them to help me find something it's as if I'm asking them to help me find alien bodies. Always an attitude like, yeah we don't probably have that we cater to people with more money than you.

Funny thing is, several times, after being non-helped, I've looked on my own and found exactly what I was looking for. Last time in, for instance, I wanted the AC electric outlet (replacing sideboards). After being told that they probably wouldn't have it because I have a popup camper, I found the EXACT part that I was holding in my hand ~5 feet from where the worker told me they probably didn't have it.

neighbormike and rjhammetter like this.
  15. BillyMc

I don't give companies like that my money.

rjhammetter likes this.
  16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Had a similar experience in '14 when buying a new pup... went to a local Starcraft dealer (no longer selling Starcraft) and got "we don't sell those anymore, why would you want a popup?"..... That year I bought a new Jayco. Have since moved to tt but for Gods sake don't belittle a customer looking to spend money!! I guess I only own a Small business, so I probably don't understand the Big picture.

Dback2k4 and rjhammetter like this.
  17. BillyMc

My answer. If you have something else that is under 3000 lbs, less than 7' high, no more than 18' total length, and can sleep at least 6-8 people we can talk.

18. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

LOL at "alien body" snark. The really dumb thing about treating PUPers like that - and I agree, I've been treated like a 2nd class citizen as a PUPer in a campground or RV dealership full of TT and 5ers - is that MOST OF THE GEAR IS THE SAME! Seriously! Whatever equipment a TT needs is probably the same as a PUP. Sinks, faucets, electric, fixtures, lights, cabinetry, covers... whether exterior or interior. Accessories too. Adapters, tire covers, cables and cords, hoses, levelers, rugs... I mean, the list goes on and on. IT'S ALL THE SAME STUFF right out of the catalog and you're literally blowing off me and my money because you look down on PUPs. And besides all that, a new PUP runs about $10k and a new teardrop or small TT runs about $15k, so it's not like PUPs are all that much cheaper.

We made a second stop at a Starcraft dealer (Richfield, WI) to ask about 12' Comets, who also tried to discourage a PUP, saying the market is dying, they would have to order a PUP if I wanted one, it would take months to arrive, and it would be costly/difficult to maintain depending on the type of lift system. I left there almost convinced not to buy a PUP. Our third stop was at Jayco (Slinger, WI), which is who we ended up building a relationship with. They showed us a 1007UD, 12SC and 1209SC, but I wanted a 1207UD, which they ordered for me. Took less than a month to arrive. We bought it then and there and returned three years later to for our TT. They did say the market was shrinking and Jayco may stop making them soon (that was 3 years ago and I believe he was right - rumors are they have stopped now or will soon), but at the time, never questioned our desire for a PUP.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    FARfetched and neighbormike like this.