Port-a-potty stand

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Indianrock, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

We keep a porta potty in the trailer at night to avoid hikes to the campground bathroom, but it's too low to the ground. My wife has already ruled out those "chair/walker" looking things so I'm just thinking of a lightweight block of plastic or styrofoam to get the potty at least 10 inches higher off the floor.
    Ideas?

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Glue several layers of pink construction foam together. Very light, cheap, and should hold the weight just fine.

BillyMc and Indianrock like this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Cabela's has a chair that looks like a camp chair but it has a commode lid in place of a seat. When folded it looks like a camp chair.

Indianrock likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I took a metal milk crate turned it upside down , added some plywood with carpet stapled onto it to the bottom, raised the potty about 12-14 inches, DW is satisfied with it.

5. tfischer

I guess some pottis must be a lot lower than others? Our Thetford Curve is the same height as a standard home toilet. If I put it up on a milk crate you'd have to have a ladder to use it, and it would literally be a "throne" lol.

That's why I figured a few inches of foam would convert it to "handicapped" toilet height.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, the seat on a "small" porta potti will sit ~ 12" above the floor and have a 2.5 gal waste tank while the seat on a "large" porta potti will sit ~ 17" above the floor (similar to a home toilet) and have a 5 gal waste tank. I've always preferred the larger size as it sits at a normal toilet height and a larger waste tank means we could get through a long 3 day weekend of camping without having to empty the waste tank.

tfischer likes this.
  7. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

I had to Google Thetford Curve. I've never seen a tall porta-potty. I was thinking about the milk crate also if I could make it work by setting it on the side of the crate instead of the bottom. Then you'd have open storage for toilet paper. I will have to measure. I have a bath and a half at home. One with the tall commode and the other with a standard height.

8. tfischer

They no longer make the Curve, but they have another model which is essentially identical that replaced it (can't remember the model # offhand). It's the same height as a standard residential toilet.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Thetford 565E

https://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-565e/

20 yrs ago (geesh, where did the time go?! [:O] ) we had a Thetford 585 electric flush porta potti which was excellent. [A] If buying a porta potti today I'd be looking for electric flush, a 5 gal waste tank, and standard toilet height of about 17".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    tfischer likes this.