Portable AC in Pop Up

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by joronimo, Feb 21, 2017.

1. joronimo

joronimo New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and to pop ups. Im picking one up tomorrow for a future camping trip. We will be using it in Arizona in April so it will be hot during the day but cool down at night. We are taking the dog but she will have to stay in the trailer in the evenings so I want to add some type of AC unit so she can have a cool spot to sit if we aren't there. I am planning a Honda 2000 watt inverter generator since there are no hook ups.

Has anyone had any experience with these portable type AC units?

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-MN12CES-Portable-Conditioner-Control/dp/B008UHXLGA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1487726101&sr=1-1&keywords=portable+ac+unit

I know it wont keep the trailer cool during the days but it should be able to bring the temps don a bit. Let me know your thoughts on this and AC units in popups in general.

2. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

I have used an 8000 BTU and it cooled well here in Illinois in near 90 degree weather with a partially shaded campsite. Didn't need to use the exhaust hose because when the unit is placed on the side counter, the exhaust fitting matched perfectly with a zippered corner of the side window. Just lucked out that way so I didn't need to worry about insulating an exhaust hose which I hear can radiate a lot of heat right back into the pup. I actually had to set the thermostat a bit lower than High because it got so cool. Was able to shut it off at night.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Try to find the required starting wattage of that AC. A 2000 watt generator may not do it. I have a 8500 btu portable. A 1800 watt generator wouldn't start it.

I used a 8500 btu in my Apache for 8 years. In direct sunlight, it would only cool to about the outside temp. In the shade and with home made bed end covers, it would cool to about 15 degrees below the outside temp. I made a curtain to close off one unused bunk and brought the temp down another 5 or so degrees.

4. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Forgot to say that I ran a separate HD cord directly from the 8K AC to the site power post. Also, as Apache, I used the bunk privacy curtain to close off the unused bunk.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Can't help you too much on the a/c unit.. but did have a question about this ...
    Are you talking about the dog being in the pup while you are sitting around the fire or are you talking about leaving the dog alone in the trailer while you go for a walk or too the bathhouse ??

If it is the first, then no issues.. if it is the second, well... most parks have rules against leaving a pet alone for any length of time, a/c or no a/c ...

6. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

We use an 8K BTU portable and it keeps us cool in the Florida heat though I plug it into a cord that leads from the on-site hook up. A small desk fan helps circulate the air and even on the hottest days it works well. One note: I have a tarp over both sleeping ends and I crack the top of the door panel to direct the hot air out. Gizmo's work pretty well to deflect the sunlight and it helps to keep the inside cool.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Katskamper likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Where are you camping?
    As Snow said, in many places you cannot leave an animal unattended for any length of time. (I know people leave pets in large RVs and TTs, but those have hard sides.)
    The other issue is that in many campgrounds, the hours for generator use are limited. Sometimes daylight hours, sometimes "reasonable use" during daylight, others specified hours, such as 7-9 a.m. and 6-8 p.m. There are even campgrounds that have loops with no generator use permitted.

Katskamper likes this.
  9. joronimo

joronimo New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll try a few of these ideas like curtains to close off the bunk ends. I'm only talking about leaving her when we make short trips away not for extended periods. I'll look and see what it requires to start the AC.

Thanks again for the responses.

10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome Joronimo,

My Aliner has a built in 5,000 BTU AC unit. I power the AC unit with a Honda 2000i generator. It works in 100 degrees in the AZ heat.

Our camper doesn't have the typical tent sides like most PopUp campers. You may need a bigger AC unit than mine.

The size of your AC unit will determine what size generator Will be needed. And what other electricity needs to be powered by your generator.

Good luck searching.

Happy Camping... [ALPU] [PUT]

11. peter moyes

peter moyes Active Member

if i get a portable ac unit any ideas how to vent it in a 2002 coleman sedona

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

X2 what 'KITPHANTOM' says about generator run time restrictions. I know here on the East side of the USA the public camp grounds really have their generator run time rules in place. Out WEST it may be more relaxed but you should check with where you are going to be staying and see what the rules are before just showing up and then find out you can't run your generator after dark... Dispersed camping places is very relaxed it seems. We don't have many of those places here on the EAST side ...

I camp off road all the time and very seldom find a public camping place that allows you to run your generator after 8PM or before 6AM... This includes the Natl Forest areas here as well... Along this line I sometimes end up close to a motorhome running their motor or generator all night at no-hookup places... They seem to get away it being enclosed I guess... $$$ speaks for itself hehe... I would fire my portable generator up sitting on my truck tail gate and here comes the ranger hehe...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  13. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

the dog needs her own battery operated fan, like the O2cool.
    look for the cooling beds too.
    thats what i do for Barney.