Portable air conditioners

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Natureangel, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

So I’m considering getting a portable air conditioner like this...
    Koldfront PAC1402W Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier and Fan for Rooms up to 500 Sq. Ft. with Remote Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9UTDE9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZR9TAb2YPTN9A

And I was wondering if 14,000 btu would be enough?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have been researching portable A/C since last year. From what I've read, 14,000 btu may be overkill here in the north. I will most likely be buying a 10,000 btu unit because most of the comments I have read state that this does a great job in a pup. 10,000 btu units also seem to take up a lot less room than a 12,000 to 14,000 btu units. Some have claimed that 8,000 has done the job for them, but others say it has to work hard to get a pup cool.

In anticipation to purchasing A/C, I purchased SHWS Gizmos for my bunk ends last month and for my spring project will cut some Reflectics for the windows. This will help with the A/C efficiency and also keep in the heat when I camp on the North Shore.

Natureangel likes this.
  3. Mr.SumSum

Mr.SumSum New Member

I've been looking into this for awhile now. It make sense to me, to purchase the largest BTU portable A/C you can fit for your camper. You never hear someone complaining that they have too much cooling, only from the people who's A/C cant keep up. From my research, I wouldn't even consider something below 10k. Sounds like 12k is good, 14k is better. Good luck, and keep us posted.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

A rooftop is generally 13500 btu, so 14k wouldn't be overkill. I have nevee seen a portable rated that high. I would be surprised if it wasnt a rather large unit.

I have a 8k btu portable that I used in my Apache, which I think was better insulated than a canvas trailer. It needed some shade and/or reflective bunk covers to do a good job.

5. Mr.SumSum

Mr.SumSum New Member