Portable Generator Charger

keirajohnston

Sep 10, 2022
How can i charge 12v 200Ah LiFePO4 battery using AC? What charger? How many Amps? How many hours? This is portable generator. Thank you

decypher

Jul 16, 2020
Depending on your use case, you might be best apt to look at a converter vs just a charger. This way you can also use it to supply current for 12V use cases as well (Among other things). I assume this is a system you want this connected to at all times.

I have installed a
Progressive Dynamics PD9145ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger

This will charge my pack at 45A on appropriate AC and can also run my 12V system when connected to AC. They sell other amp options, but 45A is a good balance between cost and speed.

I also have smaller LiFEPo4 battery chargers (Approx 10amp) that I use for other battery work thats more portable. I generally only use that for smaller packs that I have setup for remote battery systems though.

Is that what you are looking for?

decypher

Jul 16, 2020
So you have a packaged power station with a 200A battery or was this assembled by you? I'm not following. If a manufactured power station, provide the make/model, please

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
If money is no object I'd go with either the Victron IP65 or IP67 models. Both will interface with your phone to tell you exactly what is going on. The IP65 comes in various ampere ratings but for a 200 AH LFP I'd go with the biggest I could afford. Divide the ampere rating on the charger into 200 amps to get an estimate of charge time and figure on about 20% more. Charge time will vary based on how depleted the battery is. I have both of the above, and a few good older chargers but the Victrons are the only ones I use with LFP batteries and the IP65 is my go to charger now days.

Last edited:

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
The battery should tell you the max amp of charging. Mine are 20ah charge each, so if you parallel more, you can double it.

decypher

Jul 16, 2020
I don't think we have enough information to answer the question here.... Or maybe its just me confused. If its just a battery charger you are looking for... Look for a one that supports LiFEPo4 and spec it at to support what the battery shows as charge rate (Usually between .2C-.5C).

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Batteryhookups has both a 20amp and 40 amp charger on sale for cheap.

I bought both. It's not water proof. But it will do the job.

I bought both as my baby Inverter gen will happily run along at 700w, and also on eco mode at around 300w.

2 hours of run would return about 1400w, which is enough from flat to almost full.