Portable Grill Storage

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by ctwade, Jun 21, 2019.

1. ctwade

ctwade New Member

Any suggestions for how to store the little grill that slides onto the front of the pup? Mine came with a flimsy bag that offers no protection for the grill or the floor of the camper during storage. I thought maybe a tub used for bussing tables but I can't quite find one large enough.

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Maybe measure the outside & check Walmart etc for a slightly larger container...

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mine stores just fine in my garage at home haha... I have two there from my two RV purchases haha... I just never did think that was a good idea have a grill attached to the side of my trailers....

I got one of those COLEMAN ROADTRIP grills that has a roll around tote. Stores in the bed of my truck until we setup at the camp ground...

One of these...

[​IMG]
    Google image

What I like best with this model is it has different grillers you can use. Also has a water reservoir that makes cleanup very easy...

[​IMG]
    google image

Also runs on 1LB propane canisters that I bring along for my MR Buddy heater...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

BigAl likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

See if you can find a RubberMaid tote that it will fit in or use an extra large hockey bag (I store our porta-chef bbq in one) .

PopUpSteve likes this.
  5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We keep ours in the box it came in. We rarely use it and while camping keep it at under the table at the far end.
    When closing we keep it and a big Rubbermaid tote/bin near the back bunk. Fits perfectly.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm thinking I may ditch mine, leave it at home. I have a one burner Coleman stove, a two burner Camp Chief oven, and the two burner stove in the camper. Having the RVQ Grill is nice but I don't know if the limited use I get from it justifies the space it takes up in the camper.

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We've considered that but it's a backup we can use under the awning if it is raining too much to use the campsite grill. It can be a space hog.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Personal choice really - I've stored our Weber Q in a sports bag and later in a Sterilite bin. Either works just fine. [A]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gatorbait, PopUpSteve and Rik Peery like this.
  9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have a small Weber. We use it a lot. I store it in an old pillow case. Not worried about the grill. But the dirt and oils on it getting on other things

10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I have the RVQ. I leave it in the bag it came in, and put it in the footwell in the dinette sideways. It has only 1/2 inch of play that it can move, and then the table goes on top. It's a non-issue for me.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I'm not sure a steel/aluminum grill needs protection. But they do get dirty. So any bag will do.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine just gets thrown in wherever i find room for it , no bag, no tote, no bothers.....

13. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

We don't like a grill because its too hard to clean when camping.
    We use teflon coated pans on our outdoor gas stove. Easy to clean the pans.
    If we want to grill, we use the campfire grate, which we scrub with a wire grill brush before using, and then heat to burn off bacteria.

14. GreyFox

Grills introduce greasy cooking smells if not contained, ergo the reason I've always stored mine in a bin, bag, or contractor size plastic garbage bag.

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No more then gray water containers, drain lines , etc. Really not that big of an issue.

16. GreyFox

I never clean our Weber Q while camping, just turn the burner to high after grilling to burn off any residue and wipe out the grease tray. A few times each year I'll completely disassemble the Q at home and give it a thorough cleaning, then it's good for several more months of use. [A]

[​IMG]

gatorbait likes this.
  17. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same. I do the same on my real grill at home as well. 15-20minutes on 600degrees (the RVQ doesn't get this hot, so it needs a few more frequent cleanings) burns most everything into ash, and then you just knock off the grate when it's cool.

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I only grill with charcoal / wood, so I use the Weber Smokey Joe grill, and a Weber carry bag. I have added a cut to fit cardboard bottom to the bag to help out. If you are carrying it on the outside of the camper, perhaps adding a tongue box to your camper might be a good idea.

19. JLE

JLE Member

We---like GreyFox---just scrape out the BBQ once and awhile when it's getting grimy, and burn off residue regularly. It never makes a mess and we just store it for travel as is, with the 5 lb propane tank, inside the PUP near the front (it has a little tray underneath to catch grease that we clean when packing up). I used to put a tarp underneath so it didn't scratch the walls but it seems to stay put and hasnt been an issue. We keep it in the trunk of our TV in bear country.

We didn't like the low quality BBQ that came with the trailer that hooks to the side of the trailer. Instead, we have an old second gas stove that we store in the outside cupboard, and put on that rack when setting up so we can cook outside most of the time, at least when the wind is low.

We use the BBQ every day...to bake and warm things in addition to grilling ut then we dont do fires so that is our key heating. It has a temperature reader on the front with two burners so we can regulate the heat.

Here's a pic:
    BBQ_6268.jpeg

J Starsky likes this.
  20. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Went to Goodwill and bought a duffle bag. Keep grill,grill brush,and extra 1# tank in bag. Keeps everything else from getting dirty from grill.

gatorbait and dbhost like this.