Portable shower opinion

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Turboman, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Turboman

Turboman New Member

My family and I are going boondocking in northern Michigan for our first time and we were looking at getting a portable shower. We looked at a few options like the zodi hot shower, or a handheld battery powered shower nozzle with water heated over a fire.

what does everyone else use?

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

For a very brief time, I used one of those 5 gallon solar heated showers. Rigging a way to get 40 pounds of water up over your head consistently led to that device getting put in a closet and eventually lost to time. Before the TT, we just did wet wash cloths, which got us through.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

there is a new USP-charged dual battery pumped shower on Amazon - it looks appealing

search for KEDSUM Portable Camping Shower.....
    "

4. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Reviews on this aren't very impressive for battery life, or taking a charge after awhile. But it did have my attention by design..

20 years now still using a single burner Zodi, i preheat the water in a 5 gallon container then turn burner off at desired temp. Then shower..

I would also look into the Eccotemp L5 i think it is, lots of dispersed campers are going this route of late.

Helios is another to take a look at, have a buddy who loves his.

Good Luck..

5. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Sabotsailfam and John2006 like this.
  6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

John2006 likes this.
  7. Plumas

Plumas New Member

I can't decide if this is genius or just weird. I'm thinking genius ... but the wife?

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

9. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

How bad does she want a shower???!!! It's better than nothing and I think it's better than a nasty shower stall.

10. davido

davido Well-Known Member

The very simple solar showers are effective enough for occasional use. You fill it up, set it somewhere to warm up, then hoist it up a tree or up the side of the popup. If you put a shower tent around it, that might even be comfortable and private. Neither of those accessories are expensive. And you're camping, after all. Solar showers have been camping staples for decades.

Showers that operate off of electricity for pressure trade the problem of hoisting a rubberized sack of water up a tree, for the problem of providing a water supply and power to it. Some powered systems will provide warm water, too, but with increased power requirements. If they require 110VAC you're limited to using them with shore power or a generator.

Cons to solar showers: You have to hoist them up to overhead since they are gravity based. And you need enough sunlight and warmth to warm them. It is surprising that they can typically achieve acceptable warmth even on cool days as long as there's enough sunshine. Pros: They don't require electricity or propane, they're cheap, they're highly portable, and very simple.

Pros to powered solutions: Better water pressure, no need to lift the water overhead, sometimes heated. Cons to powered solutions: You're constrained to using them where you have power available, they're not as compact as solar, and they're more expensive.

11. kenneth

kenneth New Member

Indiobravo likes this.
  12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

My Ivation Portable Outdoor Shower model is similar and I’ve been using for years since my tent camping days. This looks like a better upgrade since it offers more options. Mine is no longer in stock due to the current camping craze due to the pandemic.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

13. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

And I continue to use my Ivation Portable Outdoor Shower Pump and hose to refill my freshwater tank while boondocking and dry camping.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

14. Etexcamper

Etexcamper Member

We had purchased a Zodi instant hot water setup. The pump was great. The heating coils were not. We found it to be easier to heat water on the stove and mix in a 5 gallon bucket. Then we would use the zodi pump and 5 gallon bucket in a privacy tent while standing in a concrete mixing tub to catch the used water for disposal. There is a video on youtube where a filter is put on the pump and the water is re used. Have not tried that but it would enable longer showers with less water.

15. _WW_

_WW_ Member

My solar idea: A ten foot length of 4" black PVC pipe will hold about 8.5 gals. of water at around 70lbs. My truck has a lumber rack which gets it high enough to shower under in the changing tent.

Arruba and Blackripley like this.
  16. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

wet wipes. showering uses way too much water when we are out there.

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

DiamondGirl and gladecreekwy like this.
  19. Anthony Hitchings

or just check into a hotel when you feel too dirty - for a real shower. and have dinner and breakfast in town while you are there. then return to the outback.

20. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I just ran across this thread so sorry I am late to the party. But if you are familiar with the phrase "ask the man that owns one" this is my response since I own one.

I love my Zodi, HOWEVER, it appears that they are no longer in business. If someone in Zodi sees this and this is wrong, PLEASE respond! However the phone goes unaswered, emails unreplied to, and nobody seems to carry their stuff any more. A pity since they are good devices, albeit somewhat crude designs, they are very rugged.

Having said that, there ARE issues with the Zodi that I need to let you know about.

Most notably it is designed to be a bottle top appliance. Meaning while not impossible mind you, but difficult. There is a bail type handle that you can hang it from a lantern hanger or hook while connected to a hose / bulk tank.

During our recent Texas ice storms and the subequent incompetence caused extended power / heating outages I was FAR more concerned with keeping the home warm enough that my family didn't freeze, and cooking so we could eat. So instead of using my Zodi propane hot shower, I used a Zodi battery shower, a 5 gallon bucket, and water heated over the BBQ grill in the yard (thanks ERCOT!). It worked fine, provided good, hot steamy showers that helped us thaw out and get ready for bed comfortably!

If you want to go low tech, Honestly the bucket / heated water / battery shower method is low buck, fairly low tech, not to mention compact...

There are newer portable propane water heater designs out there. The Mr. Heater BOSS seems to be an interesting design... And it reportedly delivers hot water NOW, not after circulating for a couple of minutes. However ALL tests I have seen with it seem to start with 65 + degree water, where my testing with the Zodi were at just barely above frozen water... So take that as you will...

Another issue is the shelter. I have posted about that here, there and everywhere, but pick your shower shelter with your needs in mind. Some folks rig something inside their camper, most use a shower tent. Make sure the tent is big enough, sturdy enough, and easy to set up / take down. Cabelas sells a nice one, but they are about twice the cost of competing models. The Ozark Trail 2 room is nice that you have a dry side for changing, and a wet side for the shower, but the footprint is only 3.5 feet x 7 feet. So the shower can be a bit snug if you are a bigger person...