Portable work/craft stations?

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Anyone have a portable "office" or work space that you travel with if you work while on the road or do some art or craft while camping? Maybe something like a kitchen "chuck box" but containing work or craft tools/supplies so you can work outside when the weather is nice, or set on the table in the camper if it's not so nice?

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
When I remote worked while camping I just pulled my laptop out of the bag and put it on a table. My son has a woodcarving roll bag that he takes sometimes. I do have some tool kits I put together that I will pull out to fix or work on new mods for the camper. Otherwise my hobbies are relaxing, which just needs a comfy chair and/or hammock. I do a lot of cooking though, so I guess my chuckbox and kitchen gear would count?

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
I thought this was neat, but I'd do it so the top was level when it was closed, and of course it would need a folding base.

P.S. I've always kinda liked the idea of portable Victorian "campaign furniture" -some of the original glamping... ;-)

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We have multiple portable tables we take, so one or another works for my hand sewing. I will be taking a different table for my hand crank sewing machine this year. My sewing is organized into baggies and some Really Useful boxes.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I don't have a pic of our current shade/rain structure, it's not quite a flexible as the two REI Alcoves (no longer made) we had before. The one pic is is my sewing/reading/sitting space in those at Grand Canyon a few years back. Depending on the ground, I often use a patio mat under the shade structure. The photo with a snow covered mountain is Labor Day week in Colorado, 2018. I could use the propane campfire in the shelter, closing off 2 or 3 of the wind walls, depending on the wind and sun directions.

Attachments

• sewing room North.jpg
    sewing room North.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 35
  • snow at twin lakes.jpg
    snow at twin lakes.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 35

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I don't have a pic of our current shade/rain structure, it's not quite a flexible as the two REI Alcoves (no longer made) we had before. The one pic is is my sewing/reading/sitting space in those at Grand Canyon a few years back. Depending on the ground, I often use a patio mat under the shade structure. The photo with a snow covered mountain is Labor Day week in Colorado, 2018. I could use the propane campfire in the shelter, closing off 2 or 3 of the wind walls, depending on the wind and sun directions.
I like that!...

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Oh I just remembered I've got a little table top pen lathe I got cheap, but I've never really used since I have a larger lathe. I should dig it out and see if it still works. It would be small enough to travel with and putter around with if we have Shore Power. I wonder what kind of watts/amps it draws... hmmm...

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Oh... I want something like this to hold my Macbook, or a tablet and keyboard... (I confess I have a bit of a thing for Victorian "campaign furniture" and would glamp with it if I had the money...

LaramieLovers

Oct 12, 2020
Bucks County, PA
I’m a visual artist and so is my husband. He always works small, but I usually don’t. To facilitate a “nature studio” while camping, I bought some good watercolors, and a big-enough clipboard to hold paper. He already had a small portable set up, so he’s all set. We are camping this weekend, I’ll try to get some pics.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
I realized I still have three boxes similar to this one that I haven't done anything with yet. I suppose I could add taller removable legs and turn one into a portable "office" to hold my Macbook, notebooks, cords and other small devices, batteries and chargers for blogging/vlogging on the road if I were to go ahead with the travel writing idea I had.
boxdesk.jpg

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Neat a travel trunk desk/office owned by Arthur Conan Doyle
11419-Arthur-Conan-Doyles-Goyard-Trunk-44-1280x813.jpg

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
Just thought this was a neat idea for a portable work station/box with it's own power supply. Just kinda brainstorming how it could be changed for other things like an art or craft kit.

sargant

Sep 19, 2022
This is mine. Working remotely is nice with this setup.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1666483354468.jpg
    FB_IMG_1666483354468.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 8

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
Extra tall monitor arm clamped to the picnic table, onto which is mounted my portable monitor plus a laptop tray. That keeps the monitor & laptop above me to I can work kicked back in my zero gravity recliner. All but the chair pack down into one large or two small bags. It’s still working but with a much better view. [:D]

Latest posts