Portable work/craft stations?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Groomporter, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Anyone have a portable "office" or work space that you travel with if you work while on the road or do some art or craft while camping? Maybe something like a kitchen "chuck box" but containing work or craft tools/supplies so you can work outside when the weather is nice, or set on the table in the camper if it's not so nice?

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

When I remote worked while camping I just pulled my laptop out of the bag and put it on a table. My son has a woodcarving roll bag that he takes sometimes. I do have some tool kits I put together that I will pull out to fix or work on new mods for the camper. Otherwise my hobbies are relaxing, which just needs a comfy chair and/or hammock. I do a lot of cooking though, so I guess my chuckbox and kitchen gear would count?

Groomporter likes this.
  3. Groomporter

I thought this was neat, but I'd do it so the top was level when it was closed, and of course it would need a folding base.

P.S. I've always kinda liked the idea of portable Victorian "campaign furniture" -some of the original glamping... ;-)

firepit likes this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Groomporter likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We have multiple portable tables we take, so one or another works for my hand sewing. I will be taking a different table for my hand crank sewing machine this year. My sewing is organized into baggies and some Really Useful boxes.

Groomporter likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I don't have a pic of our current shade/rain structure, it's not quite a flexible as the two REI Alcoves (no longer made) we had before. The one pic is is my sewing/reading/sitting space in those at Grand Canyon a few years back. Depending on the ground, I often use a patio mat under the shade structure. The photo with a snow covered mountain is Labor Day week in Colorado, 2018. I could use the propane campfire in the shelter, closing off 2 or 3 of the wind walls, depending on the wind and sun directions.

Attached Files:

firepit and Groomporter like this.
  7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Beer Koozies are a must have for warm months while out camping.

LaramieLovers likes this.
  8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I like that!...

9. Groomporter

Oh I just remembered I've got a little table top pen lathe I got cheap, but I've never really used since I have a larger lathe. I should dig it out and see if it still works. It would be small enough to travel with and putter around with if we have shore power. I wonder what kind of watts/amps it draws... hmmm...

10. Groomporter

Oh... I want something like this to hold my Macbook, or a tablet and keyboard... (I confess I have a bit of a thing for Victorian "campaign furniture" and would glamp with it if I had the money...

LaramieLovers likes this.
  11. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

I’m a visual artist and so is my husband. He always works small, but I usually don’t. To facilitate a “nature studio” while camping, I bought some good watercolors, and a big-enough clipboard to hold paper. He already had a small portable set up, so he’s all set. We are camping this weekend, I’ll try to get some pics.

Groomporter likes this.
  12. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

These are part of our other camping hobby, too!

13. Groomporter

I realized I still have three boxes similar to this one that I haven't done anything with yet. I suppose I could add taller removable legs and turn one into a portable "office" to hold my Macbook, notebooks, cords and other small devices, batteries and chargers for blogging/vlogging on the road if I were to go ahead with the travel writing idea I had.
    boxdesk.jpg