Possibly cancalling a trip becuase of the kids

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by G. Will Ickers, Aug 10, 2015.

1. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Here's the backstory:
    My wife is a birth doula. One of her clients is at 39 weeks, so my wife is on call, and can't go camping this weekend.

We have two children. Daughter is 18 months, son is 4-1/2.

We have an annual trip to go to Harpers Ferry, WV and stay in the KOA up there. This year, we have our new popup, and we planned on going. In years past, we stayed in a cabin. MY in laws always go, their friends always go, their families...it's a huge annual thing.

My in-laws will not be going now as my father-in-law had emergency surgery to remove his appendix. So, there goes a majority of the help. My daughter LOVES them, and has no problem going to either grandparent.
    My father will be going, and my little girl is cool with him now.

But to the point...
    I'm considering cancelling the trip for us because my wife (teammate) wont be going, and can't help with the kids. Here's why:
    My daughter wakes up at 6-6:30. Sometimes earlier. And when she's up, she is UP. I don't have the necessary equipment to keep her quiet until the rest of the campers are awake, and in a popup, it ain't hard to make noise for all to hear. All I can do is give her fruit, snacks, and do my best to entertain her. My son will sleep until around 6:30 - 7. The two of them are starting to get into sibling rivalry fits, where she wants whatever he has, and he won't share, and all hell breaks loose.
    My wife has told me that "there's plenty of help. Stop worrying so much about it."
    But at 6am, there's no help. And as soon as she realizes that the door goes to the outside world, she wants out. And if you try to stop her, all bets are off. She's a banshee. Not a possibility that early.
    And then there's the roadways and the traffic. I don't know what it is about certain types of campgrounds that makes people drive like maniacs, but geez.
    And then bathtime. Ever try to tell a 4yo that it's time for a bath while he's tired and on the verge of a tantrum? Ever have a toddler in the bathhouse while trying to give the 4yo a shower?
    "But there's HELP!" I'm told.....
    And making sure that they're fed, and that they both eat, and don't run off, and stay out of the road...
    "Yes, we can go swimming, but you can't swim well, so let me see who can go with me to help, don't forget your floaties, and stay out of the ROAD!"
    "No, sweet daughter, you can't get on that big inflatable jungle gym, thats for big kids. Please don't lose your mind. I wish I could simply walk away, and remove you from the situation, but your brother is here, so I have to find an adult that can watch him for me..."
    "No son, we have to eat breakfast first. I wish I could cook you something, but I don't have a free hand, and if I put your sister down, she'll have a fit, and it's only 6am."

I hate feeling like I can't cope with both kids while camping.
    But without the thick walls and safety of home, I can't let them be bad, I can't let them be little terrors, and I can't let them try to wake the world. Not without embarrassment, fights, lots and lots of tantrums, and a mentally unstable father.

Thoughts? [:D]

2. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Family come 1st.

3. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

I have no idea what I am talking about as my kids are grown.. but have been around a family (yes both the hubby and wife are there), who bring help with them when they camp and other outings..,,, aka a baby sitter.. they pay for her everything and she does most of the care of the children.. they do give her time off from babysitting in case there is something that she wants to do through the day.. but she is there to watch, feed, change clothes, etc etc.. I thought it weird the first time our friends brought her,, but no more...it actually works for them...

4. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Man up.

5. sallyannie75

sallyannie75 New Member

I think you have to do what you are comfortable with, but the kids may surprise you!!

6. nate216145

nate216145 New Member

I have to agree, although I don't own a PUP yet as a diehard tent camper I have taken my little ones on many trips solo so mom can get a break. Although each kid is different one of my kids is an early riser and can be a little devil from time to time, I would never cancel a tip because my wife wasn't with me. It might take some extra steps, but it will be a good opportunity for you to bond with your kids and understand what your wife goes through when you're away. Here is my [2C]. Don't cancel your trip! Take them solo and give it a go. Worst case you pack up and go home. For my kids just the threat of that usually changes the behavior. Bring a pack and play for your youngest that can be set up outside if wondering becomes an issue. If you're concerned about the noise at 6:30am maybe plan for a road trip for a bit each morning until quite hours are over. Most importantly take them out hiking let them see things and explore. Let them get away from the TV and burn some energy. Let them get dirty! My youngest (3 now), as an little guy would wake up at ungodly hours of the morning at home. Out camping he would be so worn out that he would sleep until 9 or 10 in the morning.

7. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

I also say go camping and even though there will be moments when you want to go home, it may surprise you. I took my DS when he was 15 months, and my DD when she was about the same and my son was 8. We mostly tent camped but occasionally we used a PUP and I took my DS and DD 2 times alone when my DW was sick. I think they were 10 and 2 that year. Oh and a 10 year old boy does not want to abandon his new camping buddies to help the old man with a little sister. We survived. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I cannot help you answer the question of go or not go, my youngest is 40. But if you feel uncomfortable you will have to make the decision.
    Have you discussed this with your wife ? I am sure she has thoughts on the subject.. Happy Camping

9. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

Go, and you will see that you can totally handle it. Just have packaged breakfast ready and two of everything, and make sure they're exactly the same, lol. (variety packs with uneven numbers of snacks are pure evil!)

10. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Mine are a little past that stage, as they are 7,10 and 11. I take them alone, it is a bit of work, but my challenges are different than what you face.

I say go, have fun, worst case, you get in the car at 6/630 and find a coffee shop and bring back pastries for all who you feel might have been offended. As for the shower, let em get dirty and was them when you get home.

Also who knows maybe the mother will go into labor early and your wife will be able to join you.

Break all the rules, bring an iPad of portable DVD for them to watch when you need a minute.

Have fun and good luck

11. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

I've read all comments, and appreciate them.
    I made the decision last night to suck it up and go.

My father will be there, and brother and others, and they make beer and cigars for this reason.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When my little side kick was younger age, she was much like your daughter at 6:00 she was up and raring to go. So once she woke me up I had her get dressed gave her a quick snack and off on a hike we go. That way she could squeal without worry about waking up people. After about an hour or two her initial energy was expelled so we could have a more relaxed breakfast when we got back. Then to the playground or other activities. Does your daughter sit still to work on crafts. My side kick loved to make paper plate masks coloring them cutting up colored paper gluing it on it.

13. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Camping is made for children. The places are full of children.

We campers understand all about having a new born. Do not worry about her getting up at 6:30am. That is not all that early. If she was screaming at 4:00am, then that might raise a few eyebrows. But 6:30am is not early at all.

We have all been there done that. It is no reason to cancel your trip. Do not make her feel bad for getting up early. That is normal.

Enjoy your wonderful time with them. They do not stay small for very long.

Vin.

14. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Been there, done that back in our tent-camping days. My youngest one would wake up in the middle of the night crying, or just be awake.
    On more than one night he and I ended up hanging out in our SUV - watching a movie, or just trying to sleep with the added sound barrier of being in the car.
    My youngest is now 6 and still wakes up at 6:00. It's 6:01 AM and he just walked out into the living room. Takes after me.... [:!]
    We also did what others have suggested and all 4 of us in my family took some early morning driving trips to go exploring.

Good luck and have fun!!

15. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I have a 6yr old son and a 4 yr old daughter and if I was in the situation you are I would probably cancel...well wait... I have an idea. Do you have any guy friends with kids? Maybe you could get them to go with you? The toughest thing you mentioned was the shower/bath time routine. Other things are just normal campground stuff, i.e. chasing kids, making sure they don't eat bugs and dirt, etc. It sounds like you may have plenty of room so invite a friend and go.

16. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I agree! Take them...when they wake up take them for a ride to get donuts or something, and give them baths when you get home. Just a quick wash up maybe before bed. Keep it simple.

17. kickenit4Christ

kickenit4Christ New Member

You can do this. First you need to give yourself more credit. You are the father and you are capable of handling your kiddos. Second you mentioned that others are camping as well. I am sure they will be loving on your kids and helping any and every way they can.
    Before we had our PUP we tent camped. I remember one year it was our 2 1/2 year old and twins at 7 months in pack -n-plays in a TENT! I thought we were crazy for even attempting it but I was amazed at how friends and family helped us out. :) Go make memories and have a blast! Life is too short to not live it!!

18. Garywt

Garywt New Member

A little planning and all will be good. Like others said, have something easy ready for breakfast. See if the little one with cuddle with you in the morning. Bring a tv with dvd's. When ours were little, we had a playpen on the site so when we were busy cooking or something we put them in it so we did not have to worry about the road and cars. Finally, a sponge bath in the popup might have to replace the shower this one trip. There are ways around things, you just have to plan them out.

19. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

Glad to see you are going for it! Most campers understand what it's like having littles along. I am always worried about that kinda stuff too.

bath idea- fill it in the am, cover and set in the sun all day. should be warm enough for a little bath!
    [​IMG]

cereal, bagels, pop tarts for breakfast. not very healthy, but will do for a quick fix. a little handheld game or portable dvd player should hold her over as well.

Good luck and try not to stress! you will do just fine!

and maybe the mama will go into labor soon and wifey can still join! loved my midwife!!

20. jdirosa72@gmail.com

jdirosa72@gmail.com Member

Wow ur making men look bad, I'm a father of three girls , two are twins , what u describe as worries sounds just like dad life. I would put money on it that ur wife would be taking them without u, man up dad, it's only the beginning . Control ur kids or they will control u.