Possibly cancalling a trip becuase of the kids

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by G. Will Ickers, Aug 10, 2015.

1. tbonne779

tbonne779 New Member

I feel you. My oldest is 4, my 2nd is 21/2 and I have 4 months old twins!
    We tent camped all 6 of us with my wife a month ago for three nights. It was completely stupid but it was fun at the same time. Although we have just purchased a PUP a week ago... We're hoping this is going to make things easier for us. Anyhow, good decision to go, always nice to see that we aren't the only crazy ones with our kids!
    Good luck!

2. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

Of course these are all typical dad worries. And I don't think he's making anyone look bad. I think it's more about being considerate of other campers. "Controlling your kids" is kind of an oxymoron. They aren't sheep. They are tiny little people with a mind of their own! They haven't mastered controlling their emotions, and impulse control. You can tell a 2yo to be quiet and sit down all you want, but if they don't want to do it, sorry- it's not going to happen without a lot of tears, screaming and resistance . I'm not saying you should just let them do what they want but sometimes you have to pick your battles. Especially when you are camping. My 4 kids are pretty good most of the time, but they have there moments. [2C]

3. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

I don't think you look bad. I'm a Mom of two and was the one totally pushing and planning all camping. But I don't think I would have wanted to go on my own with them when they were that age even. I don't get tons of relax time even when my husband is with me and the kids but without him just sounds like too much annoying kid juggling to enjoy any time. Let us know how it goes though!

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

So, how was it?

I am glad you decided to go forward in spite of your fears and insecurities. Sometimes, you just have to stare it in the face and say, "I've got this, or will fake my way through it."

I bet the kids had fun. I'm sure you were frazzled. Welcome to full-on parenting.

I have taken the kids a number of times when they were younger (now 10 and 8) so my wife could have the weekend to work on her dissertation. Helpful hint for all of you out there considering doctorate work: if at all possible, do it BEFORE the kids show up.
    It was just myself and no one else around I knew that took them camping. I had some of the same concerns, especially keeping them engaged and trying to not interrupt others' pleasant camping experiences. Kids do need boundaries, rules, gentle firmness, forgiveness and always love.

Regardless, we survived. They had fun. I was exhausted. Lots of neat memories. Hate doing it without Mom around as we're not all there. Have done it often enough to have it down pat. Kids request "Daddy and just me" camping quite often now where it is just one of them and myself. Good times. Need to take more pictures. I haven't totally screwed them up. Yet.

Who's knows if you'll make a habit of it. It's scary for us men to often be in the situation where we are the sole provider of all of their needs. I think too many of us dads gloss over the emotional needs but take the opportunities to grow yourself in that aspect.

I think spending one-on-one time with the kids (each parent needs to do this with each kid) as they grow gives them valuable family time. It's an extra chance to impart good values such as how to treat others (especially when someone cuts you off in heavy traffic when you're hauling a PUP), being a good neighbor, investigating and discovering Creation and setting the stage for critical life moments like making the transition from training wheels to a regular bike (thank you, JFK State Park!).

Happy Fatherhood and keep at it. I love my kids, what they've done to me (except the mental breakdowns), how they've enriched our family and all of that other touchy-feelly-huggy stuff. Make an excuse to spend time with them.

mrshopkins likes this.
  5. 4Sheps

4Sheps New Member

I hope you had fun and have lots of funny stories to tell about all the cute things that didn't go perfectly. Early morning exploring and drives are fun, take your camera, that's when the light is best.

I agree with the people who said campgrounds are full of kids. Almost no one cares about a little child related noise at 6am.

Nobody is perfect, nobody is the perfect parent. Let it go and enjoy your precious gifts while they are young and adorable.

mrshopkins likes this.
  6. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

bondebond- that was lovely.

7. gopherit

gopherit New Member

Every child is different. Every parent has different comfort levels. I had one child who was so behaved and precocious at 3 we could take her into any restaurant and have a peaceful meal, even. Then later had a son who could not sit still.
    If the poster feels that it would not be fun and rewarding for the majority of the family, then why put oneself up for an endurance contest?

I personally do not fully get the idea "every child under 5" MUST have a daily bath while fully dunked in water. My own mother grew up without running water. I learned to sponge bathe with washcloths only very early on. I learned how to wash my hair in a sink. Some physician allergists are finding that perhaps, some of the increase in child allergies is due to children having LITTLE contact with dirt, animals and the rest that used to be part of farming life. Immune systems require priming and training. Make bathing more in the child's control. Say kid, here is a nice warm cloth, it's fun to wipe ourselves down, and then you just do the mop up of the parts they missed at the end. Make it a game, say kid see if YOU can wipe off every part of your arms and legs! Pretend you are painting yourself with the water!

8. CDRG94

CDRG94 New Member

Hope you had a great time - we didn't even take ours camping until the youngest was twoÂ…she's kind of a 'runner' with no fear of the unknown and makes me nervous. Now that she's 3 1/2, things are easier and they both had a blast.

Baths are overrated - let 'em get dirty, I say - they won't know the true meaning of clean until they've been completely filthy! :)

9. Winchested

Winchested Member

Get your kids used to showering with you or the wife. Of course wear shorts. My wife does the showering with the girls. My kids are nuts lol always beating the crap out of each other the little one is a whiny moany monster when things don't go her way. We still tend to have fun most times.

Kids got lost riding the loop last camp trip. Camp grounds are full of great people always watching out for kids. Someone helped them get back to our site. My oldest is almost 8 and she took a wrong turn whoops.

Its about 50% relaxing for us. When the kids are asleep!

10. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

With such young kids , you will wear yourself down fast. Also you are already worried about this trip. Camping is about relaxing. You left put the part where you need a bathroom break or relax and the kids decide to go all crazy. I would wait .i can take my kids solo camping but mine are 7 and 4 . My wife actually has done solo camping with them and the dog. But we never did that with a pup. Out TT has a bathroom ,tub ,tv and a nice kitchen . We are pretty insulated as I have stayed next to parties and never hear anything when running the ac for some white noise.

We have tonne of board games ,snack cabinet and a stocked fridge .